Notices

Not sure if I'm an alcoholic

Old 01-06-2012, 03:12 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

I'm not sure what alcoholism is. I mean, I know it is a disease that makes you dependent upon alcohol. But where do you cross the line from "casual drinker" to alcoholic?
I am not here to convince you whether you are or not. However to put it in a very simple form:

"If, when you honestly want to, you find you
cannot quit entirely, or if when drinking, you have
little control over the amount you take, you are probably
alcoholic."

Think about it for a while, apply it to your own drinking honestly, and see where you stand.

You can decide for yourself.

J M H O

Love and hugs,
Old 01-06-2012, 03:35 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by ainsley1 View Post
I can stop after one, but it's very nerve-wracking. I always have more than one, if I drink at all.
Well, that's like one of THE biggies right there - we call it the physical craving - the craving for more once you start to drink.

The inability to stay stopped is called a mental obsession.

....and bear in mind, 99% of all alkies can moderate SOMEtimes.... it's just not consistent.

Compare it to eating ice cream, or gambling, or some other thing that you like...... I'm betting it's preeeeeeetty rare that you can't just moderate......or take reasonably simple steps to stay away from it.

You don't have to like the reality....but recognize yours. If you can't always control the amount.....and always keep away from it....well......that's a drinking problem through and through and, my experience and that of millions of others just like you is that it ALWAYS gets worse over time, never better. So......the sooner you address it, the better it'll be for you.
Old 01-06-2012, 04:02 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

In Day Traders post pay special attention to the "Once you Start' part of the post. You can't sit in a chair watching television and suddenly develop a craving. But once started the alcoholic has to have more. That's the craving and it's and all physical. The mental obsession is what causes us to reach for the first drink knowing good and well what's happened in the past.