Notices

Do you cook with wine?

Old 12-20-2011, 08:51 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mattparadise View Post
It's ok to cook with wine so long as heat is applied to evaporate the EtOH. Alcohol boils at a much lower temperature than water does. On the stove or in the oven meals are ok. Enjoy.
Alcohol Burn Off Chart
Old 12-20-2011, 09:34 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Wow, I had no idea that much alcohol stayed in booze foods, thanks for the link to that chart.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:58 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by langkah View Post
Wow, I had no idea that much alcohol stayed in booze foods, thanks for the link to that chart.
Link comes from our resident guru Dee . I remember long ago when I checked it out I was bloody amazed also. Stopped cooking with wine and eating any recipes that included wine the moment I read it. Which reminds me, thanks heaps Dee!!
Old 12-20-2011, 10:04 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

' I love cooking with wine, sometimes I even put it in the food ' on my mothers fridge magnet

Personally I couldn't be around alcohol at the moment. I would just drink it. I prefer not to let that devil in my head or house thank you

If you're questioning the thought, then don't do it.

Adam
Old 12-20-2011, 10:05 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I never used it much, ever, really... and when I did, I didn't see the point, except... Sherry.

I will use some sherry occasionally, but I simmer it first... and it doesn't trigger me when it's used in food, and we use the stuff for cooking, with salt in it. My wife's turkey tetrazini wouldn't be the same without it... but it's just a flavor to me.

I do avoid alcohol in deserts, pretty completely, actually. Too real. Too much like a drink.
Old 12-20-2011, 07:25 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Quote:
I really, really wish like you Dee, that I could get to where wine = liver. That would be GREAT!!!

When you think longingly about wine...remember how it tastes coming back up...that got me over my desire for wine real quick. Of course being pregnant thinking about vomit might not be a good idea
Old 12-20-2011, 07:42 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

they sell sherry flavoring, should any one need it
Old 12-20-2011, 08:14 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Excellent thread. My two-cents:

My personal rule of thumb is, if it's got alcohol in it (entree in a restaurant, salad dressing, dessert, vanilla, mouthwash, etc etc), it's not for me. My problem with booze lived in my mind and my body and I don't want my mind knowing I'm putting booze in my body!

And about that booze still in the house? When my husband and I sobered up, I poured it ALL down the drain -- including an expensive bottle of whiskey. I had a momentary flash of guilt that I was wasting something. Then I remembered WHY we were sobering up in the first place. That stuff devastated our lives. For me, that drain was a perfect place to put it.
Old 12-21-2011, 05:15 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

The cooking with wine or booze is along the lines of the NA beer use debate and I have had this discussion (and experienced relapses with my RAH) that I attribute to his experimentation with NA beer use.

Why glorify alcohol with giving it space in our lives and heads? There are millions of things on this earth that taste better! Millions of choices in recipes that do not include alcohol or even use it's "taste".

For my RA the taste leads to thinking, thinking leads to romanticizing alcohol (selective memory) and the addictive brain can kick in ... it happened to us and derailed his recovery.

In my mind, why even play russian roulette when it is really not even a sacrifice to avoid such a thing... personally I just hate alcohol, the alcohol industry that spends a fortune enticing our kids to think drinking is "cool" or that football has to have beer attached etc...

Good recipes do not need alcohol... our perceptions that it the only thing that can enhance certain recipes is a learned belief from very effective marketing campaigns by the alcohol industry!

Just my opinion... take what you want and leave the rest...
Old 12-21-2011, 05:55 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LaFemme View Post
Quote:
I really, really wish like you Dee, that I could get to where wine = liver. That would be GREAT!!!

When you think longingly about wine...remember how it tastes coming back up...that got me over my desire for wine real quick. Of course being pregnant thinking about vomit might not be a good idea
I wish it was that easy for me. I will have to find some way to associate it with something nasty! Vomit won't work because I rarely got sick from drinking wine, and because I've also had gastric bypass, I tend to get sick and throw up from certain foods anyway. Sounds awful, but food coming back up is fairly normal for me.

I didn't cook with wine, and most likely will not consider it in the future. Just not ready to go there and tempt myself.
Old 12-21-2011, 01:56 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

This is something I have thought about carefully, and I have done it twice, for the same recipe. I just love my braised beef short ribs / osso bucco / boef bourguignon which calls for a half bottle of stout red wine.

The first time, I smelled the bottle before pouring into the pot. I found it strangely unpleasant, but it in no way made my mouth water or trigger any craving. The remainder of the bottle was served to guests at dinner that night. The second time, I didn't smell the wine, just poured. My wife was braising another dish at the same time, and she used some or all of the remainder, I don't know. At any rate, I didn't keep any opened bottle of wine on either occasion. So, I was wary of the wine, but I didn't let it stop me from cooking with it.

As far as alcohol remaining, Dee's chart says that the wine remaining after slow cooking for 3 hours will be equivalent to the alcohol in a tablespoon of wine in the six person serving. It hasn't made me want to pick up, and I don't think it will.
Old 12-23-2011, 08:03 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Location: Overseas... on the shore of an uncharted desert isle.
I still cook with wine but these days, I cook less. Part of the joy of cooking for me was drinking half the booze while the other half went into the coq au vin, beef bourguignon - or whatever roast I was overseeing. Not tempted by having it around - I'd no more sip, quaff or chug a bottle of wine than I would a bottle of vinegar or liquid detergent.

However that doesn't mean irrational temptations aren't there. For me, they come in places and at times I least expect it. Yesterday, I was in a convenience store out by the coast and noticed a row of attractively packaged bottles of Jack Daniels in a compact 13 ounce flask (a "Mickey"). Honestly, my first thought and reaction was "oh, that looks neat! would fit right into my breast pocket, too! Less than ten bucks. Gee - maybe I should buy it...!" Then one half second later ... "WTF am I thinking?!! I don't drink anymore!!"
Old 12-24-2011, 08:07 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

If I'm out at a restaurant, I will eat foods, if they are cooked, that have wine as an ingredient. I've never had an issue doing this; I can rarely even detect an alcohol flavor. However, I won't eat things that have raw alcohol in them, and I don't use wine when I'm doing the cooking.

That's just what works for me.