Notices

Urge to drink seems to be getting stronger.

Old 12-22-2011, 02:44 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by itstimetoquit View Post
I haven't done any steps and not sure when I will be doing them. I am going to AA, twice a week, and am trying to get what I can out of it.
I have been in and out for years and have problems with some aspects to the program. The steps being one of them.
Certainly. We all have "issues" with recovery. That's why it's a disease.
Keep going to the meetings and listen to what the oldtimers are talking about, then keep going until what they are talking about makes sense.
Old 12-22-2011, 06:54 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

The steps are the key to making the program of AA work for us. The steps are the program. Personally, I get very little from attending meetings but I get everything from working the steps. None of the steps made much sense to me when I read them or heard them read at meetings. It wasn't until I started working them and the words on the page became actions in my life that AA became something that could work for me.

Once I began working the steps, the fear and confusion that had consumed me started to lift. Surrender at step one took the urge to drink away. It truly did.

At 3 months, I'd say it is time to work the steps-and work them hard-or find another type of program. It is all about the steps. Without them, AA is just a social hour.