Notices

My first Christmas..

Old 12-19-2011, 02:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My first Christmas..

This will be my first Christmas sober in 35 years...And I have ruined my share of them. I see a lot of people struggling in my homegroup (AA) and on here with this holiday. I guess it's just a mindset we put ourselves into. Our alcoholic minds want to remind us of Christmas past. I have to be more vigilant...If you don't know what that means...Here is a definition...alertly watchful especially to avoid danger
I have to watch where I go and what I do....to keep myself safe and sober. I might add a few meetings if I feel I need them....Whatever it takes for me to not drink...That's what I will do. If it means missing a party where alcohol will be the theme...I'll miss it. If I'm in a situation where I am uncomfortable...I will put distance from that situation. All I want for Christmas is to enter the New Year Sober....And I can give myself that. And that will be the best present I've ever had. So to all of you...Happy Holidays...Be Vigilant...Be Safe...Be Sane....And be Sober!
Old 12-19-2011, 03:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Great post Sapling, and one a bunch of folks 'round here need to read. Xmas really is the big party time for many of us, and there's no doubt booze is flowing at an enormous rate this time of year - in most homes as well as clubs, restaurants, bars, e.t.c... It makes for a pretty stressful time when drinking has been the only way to cope with the inevitable holiday spirit.

I remember last year being my first sober holidays... I definitely wound myself up to think it'd be ridiculously hard. Funniest thing is; it came and went with no incident at all, go figure. In fact, I remember actually having my sobriety being reinforced during Xmas by watching some relatives and friends acting like complete bloody knuckleheads after over indulging during a house party, thinking "wow, if they act like this, I can only wonder how horrid I must've been years past".

I was (am ) of the same opinion you are during holidays... the best gift I can give to anyone I love is for me to be sober come New Years. Honestly, that is 100% true. Last year my best friend actually said "if I have a choice between a new Ferrari and you being sober for Xmas, I'll take you being sober".

Merry Xmas and congrats on your upcoming sober holidays!!