Notices

Facebook stupidity..Oh Boy!

Old 12-19-2011, 12:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Facebook stupidity..Oh Boy!

Any Facebook users out there? I'm sure there are a few.

So anyways, if you didn't know Facebook is implementing a new format that will go live for everyone by Dec 25th. It looks completely different. The biggest change is the timeline feature. If gives your friends the options to easily go back to your posts from the very first day you created a profile, and thereafter. Cool? Well for me not so much hahahaha.

I used to post a lot of random drunken messages back then. I am currently going through the timeline in awe right now. Quite embarrassing really lol. Some of the stuff I said on there is down right stupid. But it also is serving as a great reminder on how stupid I was when I was drinking.

This is just a warning to anyone who has Facebook, and like me used to post drunkenly on it. Its all coming back people! Run! hahahaha. You do have the option to go back and delete/edit your old posts, and in my case this might take me awhile lol!

Boy oh boy I dont miss drinking one bit after taking a good look at this..

-Ryan
Old 12-19-2011, 01:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

One option would be to hide that page and start a new one with a slightly different version of your name. I think this would work? It would involve getting all your friends back somehow...
Old 12-19-2011, 02:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
dude in recovery

Thanks for the heads-up, hate when they opt-in everyone on the new crap.
I would have to spend every hour of every day for the next two to three months to clean up my f-book comments. Not looking forward to this at all. I did keep most of my status updates PG rated, but there's bound to be plenty durh! posts in there.
Old 12-19-2011, 03:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I post a status and then delete it when my next status goes up. It took me 6 hours originally to delete every single one right back to when I joined Facebook, BUT..it was for exactly the reason that Its NOT a diary. Whats on my mind is on my mind at the time i write a status but I dont want people to be able to go back and see every up and down Ive ever had..and drunken ramblings or venting or whatever I used to do..
Old 12-19-2011, 04:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
High on Life

I'm in a different situation than you. Before I stopped drinking after a binge I would always post "This is the first day of the rest of my life." The only thing is I had so many of those first days, if somebody was to look back at them they might think something was wrong with me. LOL.... Oh well, can't change the past, but I can direct my future.
Old 12-19-2011, 05:02 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Encourager In Training

Thanks for the heads-up, RR. And happy belated birthday!

Sadly, this is yet another way for folks to unknowingly render themselves unemployable.

I recommend not assuming a potential employer won't be able to find them in 10 years and deleting all unbecoming posts on the quick.
Old 12-19-2011, 06:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mazza View Post
I post a status and then delete it when my next status goes up. It took me 6 hours originally to delete every single one right back to when I joined Facebook, BUT..it was for exactly the reason that Its NOT a diary. Whats on my mind is on my mind at the time i write a status but I dont want people to be able to go back and see every up and down Ive ever had..and drunken ramblings or venting or whatever I used to do..
Good thinking! Although, nowadays my posts on there are sober minded. I did spend the better half of the night trying to clean 2 years or so of drunk rants up though. Think I got them all lol - I hope!

Old 12-19-2011, 06:37 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Location: Overseas... on the shore of an uncharted desert isle.
Another reason why I'm still not signing up on Facebook or Twitter.

And, some HR managers are getting downright creepy about it too. A friend of mine started a new position and indicated during the final interviews, the HR manager asked why he couldn't find him on Facebook or Linkedin.
Old 12-19-2011, 09:12 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TheEnd View Post
I'm in a different situation than you. Before I stopped drinking after a binge I would always post "This is the first day of the rest of my life." The only thing is I had so many of those first days, if somebody was to look back at them they might think something was wrong with me. LOL.... Oh well, can't change the past, but I can direct my future.
So funny! That rang so true and real to me. Thank goodness I never posted my first days on facebook or it would look just the same!
Old 12-19-2011, 10:45 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

facebook is not a safe place for anyone who chooses anonymity in any way shape or form. at its very core it is an advertising network. i keep reminding myself that nothing about facebook is real.

if it were real, then if you saw my exbf's fb page you would think he still loved me, as he just posted a video that i'm in (of him, his mom, and me hanging out) and still has our pictures up.

i have a problem with looking at his page (stalking) and i have so much false hope generated by the fact that we are still "friends" but we haven't spoken in over a month, and that our pictures remain in tact. It messes with my head. I have so much false hope. every day i feel worse about facebook and his page.

Never better.

I let it mess with my head.

I see a girl writing to him on his page and i wonder if she's my replacement. she "likes" everything he does. I'm sure they are flirting. It hurts. and it's all up there for anyone to see. And yet, if you look at his photos, there i am.

i hate facebook, i feel as though it has / i have allowed it to ruin my life. Much of my anger at my ex, before he was my ex, was related to facebook. i would see his updates and wonder if there was something i didn't know, etc.

facebook isn't real - but it is very dangerous.

Timeline is designed to make us spend more time on facebook so that advertisers can find us. It's designed to tell a "story" of our life that can only be found on facebook. I'm not good at this, but i do believe it is up to us to take our stories offline, in order to engage in reality.

I have a very hard time with this. I've spent many days feeling suicidal and crying simply over facebook.

it's a truly horrifying experience. I realize i do it to myself. I don't know that these tools are good for we alcoholics/addicts/codies. I believe it is a drug, and i'm currently using it, and it feels horrible.

I get emotional hangovers from facebook.

anyone else? or am i the only lunatic here.

I'm dreading Timeline, i haven't upgraded yet and have been avoiding it for a very long time.

unfortunately part of my job involves "social media" so i have to log into facebook every day. i've been wondering lately if this means i need a new job.
Old 12-19-2011, 10:52 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

<<I have a very hard time with this. I've spent many days feeling suicidal and crying simply over facebook.>>

Ocean size, no matter what job you are in, if something about your job is contributing to the statement you wrote here, you need to rethink it.

Sounds pretty dire and sounds like you need to run, not walk, away from FB and other triggers that cause you heartache and depression. Look to those things that bring you light and happiness. You deserve it!!!

Hugs
Old 12-19-2011, 02:04 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Drinking is the reason I don't have Facebook anymore.
Old 12-19-2011, 02:16 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Friends don't let friends drink and Facebook.

Ha, kidding, of course the best approach is just not to have a Facebook account. That service is EVIL.
Old 12-19-2011, 02:22 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Facebook gives me the creeps and I won't personally have anything to do with it but I understand that it has become a very important thing. My business certainly benefits from it (I pay someone else to deal with it). Is the way we communicate and interact evolving before our very eyes?

OS I hope that you feel better soon.
Old 12-19-2011, 04:36 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gaffo View Post
Facebook gives me the creeps and I won't personally have anything to do with it but I understand that it has become a very important thing. My business certainly benefits from it (I pay someone else to deal with it). Is the way we communicate and interact evolving before our very eyes?

OS I hope that you feel better soon.
i would say in many ways while the technology of facebook opens the door to communicative evolution, facebook itself is a phenomenal example of how some technology results in the de-evolution of cognition using evolved methods of introduction and communication tools.

it's ultimate purpose is to provide a window into why we as humans use the products we use and what products we use (and "like") so that algorithms can be developed around the appropriate targeting of people around products, events, and other people.

while we experience emotion by way of facebook, it is not designed to accomodate the emotional response. it's an algorithm at it's core, and that's why privacy issues are constantly popping up.

every single word you use in every status update is associated with you, and "private" or not, all of it is visible in the API.

all of it.
Old 12-19-2011, 05:11 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hey OceanSize, I can relate to you so much

the first time I sign up for Facebook was sometime in December 2010. Then in 2011 March 5th I deleted my Facebook, one day after I had the first multi-hour alcoholic black-out of my life.
I used to spend many hours cyber-stalking some people, going to their profiles, watching everything they said and did. I would even save pictures of girls that I thought attractive in my computer. Also, many times I used Facebook to contact people to prepare parties in which I would drink.

I "stayed sober" from Facebook until sometime in October this year. I signed up again. I was lonely and I had started college recently. I wanted to meet the people from college online and also re-activate some old friendships.

In a short time, I was doing the same behaviors on Facebook as before. I deleted my Facebook over 20 times since then. But to complete the deletion process you need to not log again in 14 days. I always got back to Facebook after two or three days.

I deleted it again this last Friday and have not gone back since. My account will be deleted permanently only in January 2nd 2012. Hope I cant stay logged off until then.
Old 12-19-2011, 06:37 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Yikes! Well I like it Its served as a great tool that's helped me reconnect, and stay connected with people whom I might have not. As long as I'm sober, Facebook is a great tool for me. Not sober.. Well Im posting the meaning of life through a Bob Segar song, and making damn sure everyone feels the same way lol!

-Ryan
Old 12-19-2011, 07:46 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thanks for the heads up. I will have to check it out. There probably is an option that is impOssible to find that hides old posts. Oh well. I think even my drunk FB'ing wasnt too bad.

I love FB...it helps us stay connected in an ever accelerating world...you just need to treat it with respect
Old 12-19-2011, 09:39 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I do have a FB account, but to be honest, I can't figure my way around it. I go on it from time to time but usually get lost!

What ever happend to the good 'ol AOL days? The days when it took 20min, and many blisters on your pinky from repeatedly tapping the "enter" key, just to get into a durn chat room?????

A.M.L
Old 12-19-2011, 10:11 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

After making my earlier post about my own facebook habit of not keeping a status up and deleting it once i put the next one up it kinda hit home to me..why on EARTH do i USE facebook? Honestly? To stalk, to brag about my childrens over achiements..to let people think my life is better than it actually actually is?

I deleted it this afternoon. I made my son admin of my business page so I can still check it, but my personal account is gone. All of my real friends and family know exactly where I am and how to contact me so its not sucha big deal.

Best of luck