Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Trying to find some information -- Can anyone help?

Notices

Old 12-16-2011, 08:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My nephew is 30 years old and lives at home with my brother and sister-in-law. He is an alcoholic. He also has some other issues that he needs help with. When he drinks he gets drunk to the point of wanting to fight every time with whomever he is with. He has hurt himself numerous times, (punching car windows, etc.), he has hurt other people (punching them), he has been hurt (beat up very badly). My sister in law says they tried to have him committed and no one will help unless he signs for it himself. This is just so hard for me to believe. They also get extremely defensive if I try to get involved at all.

As of this moment he is drunk, wandering around a very bad neighborhood, has already punched someone in the face, won't go home with my brother, my sister in law says "F*** the son of a b***, I don't care what happens to him, my brother is driving around trying to find him. I am afraid he will either get himself killed tonight or go to jail. As bad as it sounds hopefully it will be the latter but he stills needs help and I don't know who to contact.

Is there any way that anyone knows to have him committed so he can get help? I don't even know if I'm posting in the right forum. We live in Georgia. I'm willing to do whatever I need to instead of just letting it keep going on like my brother and his wife have. He needs mental help also.

Any information you can give me would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-16-2011, 09:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to Sober Recovery. Glad you found the forum. In my opinion, the best thing you can do, for yourself, your nephew and his parents - is "step" over the Friends and Family of Alcoholics Forum, read all the stickies and post a thread.

You can't control this, trust me.
Old 12-16-2011, 09:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Most counties have crisis intervention workers. They can advise you.
Old 12-16-2011, 09:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you!

I will go to the other forum now and read everything.
Old 12-16-2011, 09:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

The best thing your brother and his wife can do for their son is stop enabling him. Giving him a home, food, showers, etc., is only enabling him to continue in this manner. In order for your nephew to decide to get help, he needs to be as miserable and possible. Only when he cannot stand to live that way another day, will he be willing to do whatever it takes to recover.

I do hope you will post in our Friends & Family forum. You will find a lot of helpful information there; the foremost of which is...we cannot help them until they want help more than anything else.
Old 12-17-2011, 08:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Some people are mentally disabled either by their alcoholism or a mental disturbance. They are not helped by being left to suffer. Some people really can't help themselves. I had a family member with a similar problem and I called the Georgia Crisis line. I tried to find the phone number for you, and will try some more, but haven't found it yet. They saved his life, and maybe mine, too. This is such a trying time, if you love someone who is not in touch with reality and is doing harmful things, it can be devastating. Please reach out for some professional help! This ended up costing me nothing, and the person is now holding a job and is one of the nicest, most sane people I know. Help is there!