Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

What music/songs have helped you in recovery or have some special meaning to you...?

Notices

What music/songs have helped you in recovery or have some special meaning to you...?

Old 12-18-2011, 10:03 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Justin Bieber, really? Ugh. LOL
Old 12-19-2011, 08:37 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

the ones I write sober.
Old 12-19-2011, 09:28 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Well you will have to definetly share some of the songs you write sober and share some grits too...LOL?

Handcrafted instrumental post-rock internet radio stations | share and create playlists online | 8tracks
Old 12-20-2011, 05:12 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

"I Won't Back Down" by Tom Petty has always been my anthem.
Old 12-20-2011, 05:21 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I really like "Wasted" by Carrie Underwood~

Standing at the back door
She tried to make it fast
One tear hit the hard wood
It fell like broken glass
She said sometimes love slips away
And you just can't get it back
Let's face it

For one split second
She almost turned around
But that would be like pouring rain drops
Back into a cloud
So she took another step and said
I see the way out and I'm gonna' take it

I don't wanna' spend my life jaded
Waiting to wake up one day and find
That I've let all these years go by
Wasted

Another glass of whisky but it still don't kill the pain
So he stumbles to the sink and pours it down the drain
He says it's time to be a man and stop living for yesterday
Gotta face it.

Cause' I don't wanna' spend my life jaded
Wasted

Oh I don't wanna' keep on wishing, missing
The still of the morning, the color of the night
I ain't spending no more time
Wasted

She kept drivin' along
Till the moon and the sun were floating side-by-side
He looked in the mirror and his eyes were clear
For the first time in a while

Hey, yeah,
Oh, I don't wanna' spend my life jaded
Wasted

Oh I don't wanna' keep on wishing, missing
The still of the morning, the color of the night
I ain't spending no more time
Wasted
Old 12-20-2011, 07:56 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

"speechless" by Lady Ga Ga

several by Marilyn Manson about the realities of drug use (I am a recovering addict) "Dope Hat" "Dope Show" "Don't Like The Drugs...but the Drugs Like Me"

Pink Floyd, several from "The Wall" "Comfortably Numb" "the Show Must Go On" "One of my Turns"
Old 12-22-2011, 02:35 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Two that have always stuck out to me are Walk, and Mouth Full of Cavities by Blind Melon. So so so many songs Blind Melon wrote were based on Shanon's addiction. The song Walk especially though. It really reflects the constant battle with addition, and the song is short, but to the point. Have a listen if you like. You might enjoy it.

Walk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qYQHc8hwuM

Mouth full of Cavities
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WMY-n9MF6o

-Ryan
Old 12-24-2011, 09:30 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Old 12-25-2011, 12:40 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
once in a . . .

OnlyTheTruth has already mentioned my fav but here’s the lyrics anyway !
It just REALLY does it for me – makes me feel strong.

Blue

I Won’t Back Down by Tom Petty

. . . You can stand me up at the gates of hell
But I won't back down.

No, I'll stand my ground, won't be turned around.
And I'll keep this world from draggin me down -
Gonna stand my ground . . .
and I won't back down.

Well, I know what's right, I got just one life.
In a world that keeps on pushin’ me around
I will stand my ground . . .
and I won't back down.
Old 12-25-2011, 01:24 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Those are some really powerful lyrics, MrsJax. I will go to YouTube right now and search for the song. Thank you.
Old 12-26-2011, 02:50 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Mumford And Sons - Below My Feet - Lyrics - YouTube
Old 12-26-2011, 03:01 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

oh and RyanRed...the song Walk by Blind Melon...I don't listen to it so much more...I used to play it on repeat when I was in my late teens though...because I related to it so much...maybe I should have clued into as why....heavens to betsy...good song though!
Old 12-26-2011, 04:34 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Well if I had to pick one it would be hatebreed -perseverance-and my favorite line in the song is -resurrect every dream you buried alive-.
Old 12-26-2011, 04:42 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

lol. I did a topic thread in the mens room for this subject. No one ever answered all I got was views. lol I guess some men don't feel they want to share this with me Although the song is more of a love song it caught my ears more towards my addiction this past summer and scenes flashed throughout the song. Not Falling Apart by Maroon 5. Even he is singing about a girl who left him and somewhat wants him back and in the past she left and he fell apart but this time he isn't falling apart he gets back up and stays strong.

"Now Im stuck living out that night again, Im not falling apart, I heard that you needed me, now whats the problem I can't see, you destroyed me. Im not falling apart again" Thats part of the lyrics that really catch my ears.

Youtube it Maroon 5 "Not Falling Apart" I prefer the recorded version from the CD rather then the live versions.. I don't know... I just feel it always reminds me how my journey with alcohol brought me to here,,, today,,, and things are great once again and I don't want to fall again and Im not going to today. Theres sometimes quietness in the song like soothing or something like that which only reminded me the failures of my promises not to drink and it shows me sitting in my basement rented room downing hard liquor and mixed drinks and then the music builds up to those partial lyrics i provided showing me how I have once again got on my feet and stayed sober this time around. Im 4 months now and I feel GREAT! thanks for reading and listening to the song if you chose to lol
  # 35 (permalink)  

lol. I did a topic thread in the mens room for this subject. No one ever answered all I got was views. lol I guess some men don't feel they want to share this with me Although the song is more of a love song it caught my ears more towards my addiction this past summer and scenes flashed throughout the song. Not Falling Apart by Maroon 5. Even he is singing about a girl who left him and somewhat wants him back and in the past she left and he fell apart but this time he isn't falling apart he gets back up and stays strong.

"Now Im stuck living out that night again, Im not falling apart, I heard that you needed me, now whats the problem I can't see, you destroyed me. Im not falling apart again" Thats part of the lyrics that really catch my ears.

Youtube it Maroon 5 "Not Falling Apart" I prefer the recorded version from the CD rather then the live versions.. I don't know... I just feel it always reminds me how my journey with alcohol brought me to here,,, today,,, and things are great once again and I don't want to fall again and Im not going to today. Theres sometimes quietness in the song like soothing or something like that which only reminded me the failures of my promises not to drink and it shows me sitting in my basement rented room downing hard liquor and mixed drinks and then the music builds up to those partial lyrics i provided showing me how I have once again got on my feet and stayed sober this time around. Im 4 months now and I feel GREAT! thanks for reading and listening to the song if you chose to lol
  # 36 (permalink)  

Old 12-26-2011, 05:14 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
- Motivated -

Discipline - Nine Inch Nails
Old 12-28-2011, 06:25 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

ok I don't have one song that makes me feel better but I'm going through withdrawal and the one thing that helps me through the panic attacks is glee I know its cheesy but it helps to relax me it's the only thing I can do while in a full on panic :-)
Old 12-29-2011, 10:34 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

"Mama Tried" by Merle Haggard, the dead version is great.

"Broken Arrow" Dead version

"Not Afraid" Eminem- my kids love the song

O.A.R. new album has some great songs "Heaven" is on the radio etc..
Old 12-29-2011, 08:18 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

"I'm Straight" by the Modern Lovers