Notices

Healthy living...

Old 12-10-2003, 12:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Healthy living...

Hi all, I wanted to start this thread to "recover" from all the lost energy in the anti-depressent thread.

I found this link to a GOOD multi vitamin/mineral supplement designed for recovering alcholics. I think this could help in conjunction with good eating/exercise.

The vitamin/mineral supplement is ThiaSure made by Recovery Pharma. Website is www.thiasure.com. High in B's and thiamine, low in A/iron (bad for liver). Some have suggested amino acids to add to this.

This may help us to get stronger in our minds/bodies than normal. REason I posted this is I know for a fact just eating good/exercise doesn't cut it with all the damage I've cost my brain. I found this website interesting.
Old 12-11-2003, 05:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Bradley,
Love you Babe.
You just try anything you want if it makes you feel better.
Just remember one thing.......DON'T TAKE THAT FIRST DRINK!!
There ain't a vitamin in the world that can handle what will happen if you take that first drink.
Old 12-11-2003, 07:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Music. You got that right. Still doing good. Keepin my commitment (wink!)... I had "thoughts" last night about one more..cuz my boyfriend has made a commitment for himself (not a problem drinker but wants to clense his system..lol) in Jan. He has committed to himself 2 months of no caffeine or alchohol. Something inside me sometimes says...well get through Christmas and start with him. THEN I come to my senses largely because of you...and I realize NOW is the time. I'll be well on my way when he decides to do it. AND, my commitment is for life.

First the 6 mos..then the year for just a celebratory goal...but not stopping there! YOUR THE BEST!!!
Old 12-11-2003, 09:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Paused

Hi Bradley...iron and Vit A are stored in the liver...actually both are essential nutritional factors in our general health...the problem arises in those who have extensive liver damage...in those, careful monitoring of these essential nutrients is vital...yet we cannot live without them...for general information, vitamins and minerals are co-factors and coenzymes...in fact the definition of a vitamin is basically a necessary factor which enables enzymatic processes to happen at the biochemistry level--coenyzmes make enyzme reactions more efficient...whether this is the processing of fats or the production of brain neurotransmitters...that in mind may we consider vitamins and minerals as the nuts/nails/and screws that kinda hold things together...absolutely necessary in the healing or remodeling processes are the basic building materials--proteins(amino acids), carbohydrates, and fats...these are taken in with diet...all of us in recovery--some more, some less--need the building materials and nuts, nails and screws to do repair work...proteins (amino acids) are extremely important since all enzymes (things that the co-enyzmes work on--vitamins and minerals) are made from proteins...in fact the basic blue print (DNA) is made of amino acid chains...every neurotranmitter is produced via amino acids and the help of co-enzymes (vitamins)---this occurs because the DNA sets up the production of the enzyme essential for this conversion...in fact ALL enzymes consist of amino acids...furthermore, the final product such as a neurotranmitter need something to attach to, to create a signal for the next neuron to propagate the signal...so neurotransmitters need a receptor to attach to...All receptors are amino acid complexes...However, it's important to understand that nothing in the body/mind works in a biochemical vacumn...to heal and rebalance physiologic function requires a good Balanced diet and excercise...Proper selection of supplements is a mind-boggling task sometimes--even for a physician...yet, in my mind, is the missing link in good quality recovery...Research shows that changes to just neurochemistry occur at the DNA level...how dramatic these changes are depend on drug of choice, quanity, and time on the journey of insanity...research also shows that most of us will recover full function on the physiologic level in 6 months to 3 years if we do nothing but eat poorly and don't take care of the obvious needs...for most that make the choice to make good nutritional decisions and excercise dramatic results occur in dramatically less time...seen it time and time again...The rule of thumb with supplementation is "KEEP IT SIMPLE AND MOVE TO THE LEVEL OF COMPLEXITY THAT WORKS FOR YOU"...we are all different on the genetic spectrum and this makes it important to do your research and if needed...talk to someone who specializes in these issues...unfortunately, most MD's and
DO's are not well versed in nutrition...simply put...70% of the standard medical schools in the US have no nutritional component in their medical school curriculum...the most important thing is to do your research...pros/cons of every supplement...like medications (which they are for those who lack for whatever reason)...but make educated decisions...with respect...dr dave
Old 12-11-2003, 09:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks Dr. Dave. So do you think this ThiaSure w/be a good vitamin/mineral? Simply put,,,it comes from a pharma group specializing in addiction. I chose it only because of those "simple" facts. High B's, just low A's/iron. I do eat reasonably well, white meat, veggies, walk 4miles a day so feel I do most things right. Iron can make me feel nausious.

Also, one more question. with Glutamine...will that make me bulk up? You suggestd 2000k a day. I just don't want to be like a body builder..prefer lean and mean to big, bad and bossy! LOL

THANK YOU !!!