Notices

Suddenly have a lot of anger - any tips?

Old 12-12-2011, 11:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Suddenly have a lot of anger - any tips?

Hi all, I don't know if this is to do with being sober or just life... I'm 10 1/2 weeks sober, and I'm coming off of anxiety tablets, under dr's instructions, but I don't know if that's the cause. I was never angry before taking them, so I don't see how stopping them would make me angry.

In the last maybe 2 weeks (on the outside) I've had the shortest fuse. Everything seems to make me furious, even stupid little things, like my boyfriend accidentally resetting my pedometer... I am usually a very laid back person, it generally takes a lot of poking to wake this tiger up but recently I've been on the edge of agro all day.

I only every feel like this in the three-day lead up to my period (sorry for the over-share!) but it's been two weeks, and no period and I'm just sick to death of feeling angry. My shoulders are tense, and my mood is sour. I haven't lost my temper and yelled or thrown things or anything like that (although I have shouted at the animals a few times, but they are oblivious), but I'm sick of feeling rotten.

Any tips on getting rid of the agro? I love my pets and usually a good stress relief is to spend time with them, but even they are driving me insane right now. The dogs have decided to battle out for top dog position, now that the puppy is six months old and becoming a man, so they are yipping and jumping on fences and doors, especially when I'm trying to sleep. I discovered tonight that the younger one has gotten into my DVD collection and eaten a brand new, $100 collector's edition DVD set. Even my cat is against me this week, knocking a full can of drink over my papers in the study.

>_< I'm tired of feeling cranky, I don't like it. I've not lost it yet, but I've rubbed some people the wrong way at work.
Old 12-12-2011, 11:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I dunno FD...there's probably some very good reasons for feeling angry just in what you've posted, reasons that have nothing to do with alcoholism.

Everyone seems a little mad to me right now with xmas approaching - and if it's as hot there as it is here, there's another reason to feel on edge.

Have you spoken to your Dr about the meds yet?

and lastly...does this sound like you or not?
http://digital-dharma.net/post-acute...r-immediately/

Hope you feel more sanguine soon
D
Old 12-13-2011, 07:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

In my experience, the majority of recovering alcoholics feel anger for a while. I certainly did. Are you going to meetings and sharing about it? It helped me a lot. Also, when a situation arises, I suggest breathing slowly (it slows down the brain). Exercise, prayer and meditation also help.

Also, try to believe that this too will change. I had a problem understand that for a while but it is so true.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Misunderstanding our fears is a common enough experience in early sobriety. Those misunderstandings can often create the internal stresses that complicate how we deal with outside issues.

And as the anger finds some traction in relation to those outside issues, we can easily be mislead about what we are in fact angry about. We feel foolish and surprised as we seem to be angry about nothing.

I look to my insides when I want to be responsible for my behaviors in relationship to my emotions of anger. Without fail, it is in my understanding and appreciation of my fears that gives me a better understanding of my feelings and thoughts on my anger experiences.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ForeverDecember View Post
Hi all, I don't know if this is to do with being sober or just life... I'm 10 1/2 weeks sober, and I'm coming off of anxiety tablets, under dr's instructions, but I don't know if that's the cause. I was never angry before taking them, so I don't see how stopping them would make me angry.

actually, i believe this is probably the cause. almost in every case without exception anxiety medication meets some sort of withdrawal however minor until the brain's receptors are set back to normal. it just takes time.

i too took anxiety meds for a long time and i was like a rabid pit bull the month coming off of them.

my best advise is just to be good to yourself. try to get plenty of rest, eat well, and what really helped me was getting an mp3 player and listening to music 99% of the day when i was feeling angry. music soothes the savage beast. isn't that what bugs bunny used to say? it works.

in any event, try to relax and know this is just a part of the proccess. it does get better.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Ethanol Intolerant

I would suggest doing something physical that involves your upper body. A lot of tension is stored in our shoulders and activity helps to release it. Just don't punch somebody and say I told you to.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:40 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I see my addiction counselor once a week and she's been very helpful in all areas of my life, not just sobriety. I can safely vent to her and she often gives me her perspective on my situations and that helps me see things in a different light.
Old 12-13-2011, 12:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
- Motivated -

Originally Posted by recycle View Post
I would suggest doing something physical that involves your upper body. A lot of tension is stored in our shoulders and activity helps to release it. Just don't punch somebody and say I told you to.
I was going to suggest something similar like the gym. I take a lot of my anger, frustration and stress out at the gym.
Old 12-14-2011, 01:27 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks all. I've recently started walking a lot, going from an average of 3000-4000 steps per day to over 10000 or so. It's good to get out in the fresh air.

I have stopped speaking to my counsellor - a bunch of unforseen events having led to cancellations, so I really should make an effort to get back in touch with her. I hope she won't be angry at me for going AWOL.

Cheers Dee, it's actually been pretty nice here for a change (for December anyway!). It's starting to heat up, but the breeze is staying cool. Not looking forward to January, it's gonna be a hot one >_<
Old 12-14-2011, 01:58 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Also, Dee, thanks for the info on PAWS. A lot of it rings true, it's good to have more knowledge on it. I've seen people speak about it in here, but never looked it up.