Notices

My new saying..

Old 12-08-2011, 11:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My new saying..

I just wanted to share this. I have something I say to myself every day. here's where I'll start..

Like many of you, I knew I had a problem, I knew I needed help to quit. I told my wife I was done. My kids are to young to know, I didn't need to tell my friends. eventually I did. After I made it perfectly clear that I did not drink anymore, I went to great lengths to hide it.
I would sneak cash and only buy with that. I fill a water bottle and hide it in my jeans pockets in my closet. I would hide the bottle(s) in the arms of my suit jacket, I would express my love for bottles of iced tea, then spike them with Vodka. I would be late to work because I would sneak the empties to the local recycle place on my way to work. All the while I would sneak to my closet for little shots off the bottle. When I knew I was tipsy I would go take a big sip and go to bed, eventually I would mix a drink at 6 A.M. to take the edge off. Then the following week the cycle would start all over again. I finally got help at a group. One thing I said in the group that helped me was thes.

"Put as much effort into staying Sober as you did into getting drunk"

Maybe it's been said before, maybe not. I almost made it 8 months, and had my first relapse (Which is in another thread). It's time to start putting my words where my mouth is...

Thanks for reading.
Old 12-08-2011, 12:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I modified that slightly myself, to:
put twice as much effort in staying sober as you did into getting drunk

& I put a lot of effort into getting drunk....

Welcome aboard

D
Old 12-08-2011, 11:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

When I was using one of the things I used to do was hike out into the woods, get wasted, wait till I sobered up enough to come home and cook dinner, etc.

These days I come home from work, hike into the woods so I WONT get wasted, then come home and attend to the business of home and recovery. So I am not only putting the same effort into recovery, some of my habits have truly been transformed. My internet use as well, there were ways I abused my time online to support my addictions, now I use it to support my recovery.

Transformation is possible!
Old 12-09-2011, 09:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Hey McFatty, thanks for sharing. Welcome to SR!
Old 12-10-2011, 11:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

"Put as much effort into staying Sober as you did into getting drunk"
Great share, thank you! When I'm too tired to get to a meeting, think the weather is too bad, or whatever, I ask myself if I'd have gone out to buy booze under the same conditions. Well of course I would have gone out under any circumstances...