Notices

Recovery & Relapse

Old 12-08-2011, 03:39 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Joybot View Post
Going a day or two or a week is a struggle but going a full month or a year is a great feat and going beyond that is super human.

...your whole lifetime is a constant struggle not to relapse and it is so easy to fall back on the drink because anything could trigger it at any time.

Being sober for many, many years is a feat of super human strength and those who have the will power to keep it up; you are super-human.
I don't have many years of sobriety, but I will have two years later this month. I am not super human, and I definitely don't do this on will power alone. The point of the steps is to learn to live life happily as it is, not as you wish it would be. If you learn that, when the * hits the fan as it does from time to time in everyones life, you don't need to drown yourself in alcohol to avoid the pain.

That is the difference between "white knuckling" it and "happy, joyous, and free."
Old 12-08-2011, 04:51 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

JMHO -
This is an addiction. Part physical part physiological - you have to not want alcohol in your life anymore - you have to want to be rid of the pull or it - of how it can control you - about how you can let it change what you do in a day - how it makes you feel.

You need the will power to get through the physical part - let your brain chemistry and GABA receptors get back to normal - through drinking you actually changed you brain chemistry and it takes time for it to go back. The physical part will pass - that's biology, science. Some say a few months some say up to a year - after that it is all that you don't want that in your life anymore.

Then it's all the physiological part - living life with no escape () that's what scares me. I can't escape for a night - can't numb myself away with alcohol anymore. I believe I will develop coping mechanisms - I believe I'll learn to cope with life sober - I truly believe that with all my heart. If I didn't I'd pack the kids in the car and go out and buy 10 bottles of wine today.

hummm. Looks like I'm writing this for my own benefit... how do you like that...
Old 12-08-2011, 06:16 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

It came to a point where drinking was the superhuman feat. It took so much willpower to keep getting drunk. I finally gave up.
Old 12-08-2011, 07:51 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
High on Life

Originally Posted by Joybot View Post
Being sober for many, many years is a feat of super human strength and those who have the will power to keep it up; you are super-human.
Not drinking is not a superhuman feat. If you have that mentality, you will never be able to stop drinking. Not drinking, just requires a commitment and a change of life. There are many avenues to do this (AA, smart recovery, racing for recovery, rehab,etc...) and how you do it is completely up to you.
Old 12-08-2011, 08:12 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Some really great comments in this thread. I am slowly working towards three years sober. The desire to drink does go down with time. But, we must remain watchful and vigilant. The pilot light is always burning in our heads, it just needs fuel to start the fire.