Notices

One weird thing

Old 12-07-2011, 07:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

One weird thing

Somehow I have been able to quit smoking but still find it difficult to not go to the bar and start having a few beers. I used to smoke like a fiend, and I remember how hard it was to quit. I tried several times with the patch and it finally stuck. I like to think that quitting drinking is using the same muscle so I should be able to do it. Does anyone else have a prior substance/drug addiction victory they hold onto for strength and evidence of what is possible?

Oh I should stress that NO, I don't even smoke when I'm drunk. It really is amazing.
Old 12-07-2011, 07:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I've had three main lasting addictions - cigarettes, pot and alcohol - the first I quit easily, the second without too much trouble...alcohol was a different kettle of fish entirely, I'm afraid.

D
Old 12-07-2011, 08:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I quit my pack aday the same day I quit my 1.5 liters a day. They were intertwined and I ha to do them together. Today...I can't stomach the smell of alcohol but when I walk by smokers I take a nice hit of second hand smoke. I would be afraid to take it up again because i feel it would lead back to booze and more importantly...it's really unhealthy and since I have learned to lOve myself I no longer self harm
Old 12-07-2011, 09:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I've had three main lasting addictions - cigarettes, pot and alcohol - the first I quit easily, the second without too much trouble...alcohol was a different kettle of fish entirely, I'm afraid.

D
I was quite a smoker in my early 20's but wasn't much of a drinker. Now I'm a drinker in my early 30's and not much of a smoker.

Sigh. Although, smoking cigarette was a walk in the park compare to alcohol. Another thing, Weed was what led me to become a smoker in the first place. My first stick was a joint when I was in my teens. I wonder what sort of addiction I'm going to get on next when I'm in my 40's.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I quit smoking 17 years ago. I smoked two packs per day from '81-'94. I loved the cigs and thought I'd never be able to quit. In fact, I thought at one time that I would quit alcohol first. Finally I went to a Doc and got a prescription for the patch (back when you needed one). I made it through my first day in a long long time without smokes and gave the patches away to someone else. I never smoked again.

It was brutal. I chewed lots of gum and drank a bunch of really crappy beer. I was a cranky mess for a month and really not out of the woods for at least a year. To this day I am mystified by people who quit smoking for a year or more then take it up again. I would never ever want to quit smoking again. I'm still proud of myself for quitting. After all this time I've even worked my way through the bitchy ex smoker phase and cut my smoking friends some slack.

I certainly use my cig quit as inspiration for my alcohol quit. I'm only 38 days into my post alcohol life so I'm still too new to really compare and contrast the two. Quitting smoking was certainly much more physically intense in the early days. Overall, though, it seems like a more superficial deal than quitting alcohol. LaFemme, you are crazy strong to be able to quit both at the same time!