Notices

I am depressed

Old 12-18-2011, 07:33 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Day 15 - am not sure what to say. I feel quite good right now but I am wondering how long it will last for and I have this constant worry about what might or not happen. I am so busy worrying on the future I can't concentrate on right now. I am confused
Old 01-11-2012, 08:01 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Hello,

I haven't been here for a while but I have not been drinking either. I have been busy, I had some health problems requiring visits to doctors and Christmas was extremely difficult but I got through it. I ended up going away for a couple of weeks to get my head together. I'm back now and back to the same old routine. I'm trying to keep busy with exercise and yoga and reading and movies and seeing friends, and my therapist is a great help. I was doing ok until today when I started watching some stupid soap, a character was in the pub at 12 noon (or whatever time) ordering a double vodka and tonic and I was thinking 'God I would LOVE one of those right now'. I ended up writing this instead. Actually I feel slightly better now. Thanks for reading.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:05 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Will I be able to watch other people drink or watch people on television drink without thinking about myself? I felt I was doing well and would like to get past this. Thanks.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:11 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by Tetra View Post
Will I be able to watch other people drink or watch people on television drink without thinking about myself? I felt I was doing well and would like to get past this. Thanks.
That's specifically one of the "promises" (ie - guarantees) for the folks in AA. That particular one comes after the 10th step. So, for me, sure. I don't hang out there all the time but I somewhat regularly eat at bars (a couple around here have good food and cool ppl), go to pool halls (billiards), and hit up a lot of my old 'drinking-haunts' and there's no compulsion to drink. I may get a thought from time to time but it's fleeting, isn't that strong, and usually is gone before I realize it.

"safe and protected" - that's what I was taught would happen and that's what's actually happening.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:14 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Hey Tetra,
I have now been sober three days and found this site. These first days are the hardest for me. I am excited about being clean again, although I know the close friends will be the challenge. I hope you are feeling better today.
Old 01-11-2012, 01:41 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

I am going through this the second time around. I've been sober for about a month. I was doing ok but since I came back from holidays it's been hard to settle back into a routine, I don't know. Would appreciate any advice. Thanks.
Old 01-11-2012, 02:11 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  
Administrator

Keep reaching out for support Tetra - both here and in real life.
don't shut yourself off, don't allow yourself to get complacent with your recovery.

I think that really makes a difference - it did for me.

D
Old 01-15-2012, 05:22 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Hi everybody,

I have a fear of doctors and hospitals, but I am trying to get help. I have an appointment next month to see a psychiatrist which I am very nervous and afraid about. Can anyone give me some advice? I would really appreciate it. Thanks.
Old 01-15-2012, 05:46 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

As well as trying to keep sober, I've been sober for over a month now, I also have problems with isolation and anxiety. I have to force myself to do things outside the house. I'm staying with family for a while, which was fine, but my mother, as much as I love her, does not help with my anxiety issues. Sometimes I wish I could just focus on one issue at a time, it's getting tiring.
Old 01-15-2012, 05:48 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Actually, I am really up and down a lot. Somedays I feel really great, then others I just want to hide in bed.
Old 01-15-2012, 05:54 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  
Administrator

The best advice I can give you is just be honest Tetra - let them know the full story. Write it down if you need to

They're there to help

D
Old 01-15-2012, 08:01 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Tetra, do you attend AA there?
Old 01-16-2012, 03:09 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

I used to attend AA meetings first time around. This is my second time on the sobriety train. I just woke up right now. I am feeling quite low this morning.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:17 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

I was looking at the calendar today. I have not had a drink since the 3rd December 2011. I would love to hear how other people cope. I have good days and bad days. Today is mixed, I am finding it difficult to cope with my mother's deep resentment towards me which is understandable. Some days the only thing that brings a smile to my face is my pet rabbit, Daisy. I will keep taking it one step at a time and hopefully tomorrow will be brighter Thanks for reading.