Notices

What is life like without alcohol?

Old 12-03-2011, 01:27 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Life without alcohol is tough at first because of withdrawals, However, after the second week things get better.

My life now is soooo much better than when I was drinking. I wake up everyday feeling good and ready to start my day. I no longer revolve my WHOLE day around when I am going to drink.
Old 12-03-2011, 01:43 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I expected life without alcohol to be an endless series of days wishing I could drink but knowing that to do so would mean legal, medical, and moral issues. What I have found in the two years is that life is richer, my relationships are better, and that I have peace that I sought but never achieved from the numbness alcohol gave me. I have found myself in a place that I didn't know exists, experiencing a life I didn't believe was possible. Is this life perfect? Absolutely not. It's still a human endeavor, with all that entails, but I would never trade what I have for what I lefft behind.

All it takes are three things: honesty, openess, and willingness.
Old 12-03-2011, 01:54 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

It's not perfect but definalty a better way of living life. For me the biggest thing is not having friends and family always dissapointed or ashamed of my behavior....
Old 12-03-2011, 03:52 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Eddiebuckle View Post
I expected life without alcohol to be an endless series of days wishing I could drink but knowing that to do so would mean legal, medical, and moral issues. What I have found in the two years is that life is richer, my relationships are better, and that I have peace that I sought but never achieved from the numbness alcohol gave me. I have found myself in a place that I didn't know exists, experiencing a life I didn't believe was possible. Is this life perfect? Absolutely not. It's still a human endeavor, with all that entails, but I would never trade what I have for what I lefft behind.

All it takes are three things: honesty, openess, and willingness.

I agree!!!
Old 12-03-2011, 03:53 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

RobbyRobot...just read your post...amazing and so true for me as well.

Well said
Old 12-03-2011, 04:02 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
High on Life

It's not something you can put into words. In fact you really can't understand what people are saying until you're on the other side. It all comes out like "blah, blah, and blah blah".

I just read the thread when I got my second DUI and all the replies I got at the time didn't make any sense. Today, it makes sense. I thought people were being harsh and judging me, but they just wanted me to get my head out of the sand.

People can tell you it's really great and you won't get it. You just won't. You just have to do it and experience it on your own.
Old 12-03-2011, 04:16 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

The question should be "what is life with alcohol?" Is it really living or is it hiding, burying things, things that resurface day after day no matter how much you drink. Life with alcohol is not about reality. It's about being tired, looking old, thinking of only one thing and that's your next drink, your life revolving around a drink and the worst part is not remembering much of it.

Life without alcohol is life, pure, far from easy but the best thing anyone could do for themselves. If you need a break, run on a treadmill, lift weights, do some yoga, you'll reap the benefits.
Old 12-03-2011, 04:51 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Originally Posted by Jasmine2011 View Post
The question should be "what is life with alcohol?"
Good point. Life with alcohol is insanity for me. Now that I'm sober life is a lot more normal.
Old 12-03-2011, 05:20 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
It is less dramatic. Life is not the same without those shot nerves and lack of sleep.
Old 12-03-2011, 06:01 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

I can't really say what life without alcohol is like....not after I became an alkie anyway. Prior to becoming an alkie it was fine....even fun. After alcoholism had it's hold, I didn't have a life that didn't involve alcohol.

Life with recovery though......that I can comment on. Life with recovery (which also includes "no alcohol") is still tough.....but not AS tough. Problems still happen.....but they're more easily worked through. Things that used to destroy me....they still hurt, but not as much and not for as long as they used to. A lot of those things have been "fixed" FOR me....little or no effort on my part...others, I've had to work on. Some of those things are still "issues" but.......yanno what.....at least with sobriety and recovery.....I have a darn good chance of working through them. That, compared to how it used to be (get frustrated, get loaded, ignore issue.....issue resurfaces, get frustrated, get loaded......wash, rinse, repeat)...well it's a helluva improvement. Perfect? no..... always wonderful?.....no. But infinitely more rewarding and enjoyable...... nooooo question.
Old 12-03-2011, 06:45 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Thank you for this thread, it's great being able to think about the benefits.

My experience, looking from a practical view, not a spiritual view.

Health
No more dry skin, no more puffy/bloated faced mornings, no need to use red-eye drops every day, normal toilet behaviour, not munching painkillers non-stop due to headaches and body wariness, no mysterious bruises/cuts/bumps etc, sleep finally starting to improve - but that took a while. No aches in my sides or random sore muscles.

Family
I spend better time with my parents, not just time trying to get money for drinking. We can go out for dinner and talk and it's just normal and happy. I finally believe that my partner likes me, wants to be around me... our relationship has gotten so much stronger since quitting alcohol. It's hard to explain it properly, but there are new levels of respect and appreciation that I'd not felt before. And I'm sure he's feeling a million times happier too.

Friends
Friend-wise I've learnt that I don't have a lot of friends. Not really a surprise though, when you think about it. The people I used to hang around with all have their own drinking issues or are incredible enablers. I don't see these people any more, they didn't know I'd quit and I never got a single message from them asking to catch up. They never questioned where I went. We never really hung out for the company I guess, just as props to drink with. I was never close with non-drinkers. On my part I was bored spending any length of time without a beer in my hand, so I'd drink and get drunk while they were sober, then I'd embarrass myself and not want to see them again. On their part - who wants to hang out with a drunk who becomes loud and annoying while the rest of the group are trying to enjoy the tupperware party?!?!

Money
Oh. My. God. It's like finding buried treasure. I never realised how much money I actually spent until I see it in my bank account. In the months since quitting I've never seen my bank account empty, I've actually saved up money, and I'm spending money on things I've always wanted but never enough to sacrifice alcohol for. Before I lived pay cheque to pay cheque, with a fully maxed credit card. Now I'll have the credit card paid off in no time.

Home
My house is cleaner, my animals happier (although they are getting fat from my spoiling them). I've been spending money on items for the house, so the rooms are starting to look nice. I'm replacing damaged or cheap furniture, and I've actually had money to spare to buy decorations for the house... including buying a frame for my uni degree which has spent the last 2 years sitting in the top of a cupboard.

Work
I've not spent a single day putting off tasks because of a hang over. I haven't locked the door and curled up under my desk to sleep off the nausea. I've gotten a fantastic performance review, and I've even had a promotion which has included an entire pay level increase - incredible considering that a few short years ago I was being sent home for being still drunk from the night before, or even a few short months ago when I was cancelling meetings because I'd drunk too much in the lead up and was pissed.

There is much more I'm sure, but these are just some of the things I've noticed which have made my life better.
Old 12-04-2011, 02:26 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Location: Overseas... on the shore of an uncharted desert isle.
I used to think that 'life without alcohol' would mean a miserable 'alone forever' existence. No more drinking with friends every Friday evening, bonding with friends & colleagues and lots of good times. Of course, I was conveniently forgetting the hangovers, partial blackouts, crazy bills spent on boozing at the 2nd or 3rd bar after 'normal' drinkers had called it a night, or some of the drunken hook-ups I had with women from work & elsewhere.

I don't know when it tipped, but I don't go out every Friday - and I honestly prefer it that way. I don't wake up hungover 2-3 times a week feeling like absolute crap and struggling through the day cringing as I partially recall some stupid thing I might have said or done the night before. I used to depend on bar and taxi receipts in my suit pockets to remind me of where I last drank and what I time I ended up coming home; the bills weren't pretty either -- $800 to $1500 a month... explained away of course as "business entertainment" expenses. Physically - I am a lot fitter having shed almost 20 lbs of fat without any additional effort. And, I'm no longer worried I might get a call on my mobile from some college coed I picked up the night before; in fact, I just realized this morning as I lent out my mobile phone, I have absolutely no secrets to hide!
Old 12-04-2011, 09:41 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

The first six months or so were very tough. I didn't crave alcohol but the shift from being someone drunk so much of the time to a sober person was a huge adjustment for me. I had to get comfortable in my own skin and it was difficult.

We alcoholics are overly sensitive and tend to take everything personally. I had to learn how to cope with the problems of life with no anesthesia. It was like I took eight years (when I was a daily drinker) off and now had to become a grown up. I had to get medical help for the severe depression plaguing me most of my life.

But it doesn't take all that long until it's the normal state of being. Gone is the fear and extreme self-loathing, standing at my window seeing others walking around on a beautiful day and wondering how they did it. So when I focus on what I have, all the good things in life I become more and more grateful.

It was very tough for me, I went through a lot of upheaval. It's the most important thing I've every done in my life, certainly the biggest accomplishment. I try to remember to own it and acknowledge my part in working the program.