Notices

Oh boy, so it's December... holiday temptations.

Old 12-01-2011, 09:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Oh boy, so it's December... holiday temptations.

I've realized as the holidays get closer that champagne is my weakness. I tended to remember back on white zinfandel as my main poison of choice, because that was what I drank the most. But any day of the week I would have much rather polished off a bottle of cheap champagne (Andre or J Roget are only $5 a bottle here.) I often did buy a couple of bottles on my way home on Wednesdays and drink them over Thursday and Friday (my days off). I have often thought about the bubbly, tingly feeling I would get as I drank a glass, in a far fonder way than I would like. I know that there will be champagne at hand at holiday parties and definitely at New Year's Eve. It scares me a bit, even though I have not had any relapses or even close calls since deciding to stop drinking 6 months ago. I think about having a glass of champagne and my mouth waters.

But something happened at Thanksgiving that gave me hope. My grandparents often invite random people they meet through their volunteer work who don't have anywhere to go for holidays to our events. This year it was a couple from Florida. I really liked the woman but the husband was a loudmouthed drunk. He showed up blitzed and quickly headed to the wet bar to fill a glass with straight vodka. After the meal (which I don't see how he stayed conscious through) he announced that he had brought 4 bottles of champagne and asked my grandfather to break them out. He pressed everyone to partake and I politely refused, danger bells ringing in my ears. He got a bit belligerent so I excused myself from the table. Yes, I did want that champagne a little bit, but I did not want to EVER be somebody like him. (Not that I was a belligerent drunk, but what I mean is I never want to be embarrassing again.) So it just reinforced in my head that no matter how good I think that champagne might taste and feel, it's just not worth risking being gross.
Old 12-01-2011, 10:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Way to go. Thanks for sharing that. It's terrific when we stop being drawn into idealized images of alcohol, and recoil instead at the grim realities of alcoholism.
Old 12-01-2011, 10:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I know what you mean - I never want to be that guy again either.
You can do this YI

D
Old 12-02-2011, 06:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm def not looking forward to the holiday times this year. I'm just going to try to avoid situations and people that involve alcohol as much as I can. Party pooper, but who cares, staying clean is better.

Matt
Old 12-02-2011, 06:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

More and more, I'm looking forward experiencing social events sober. I still don't feel at ease but knowing that I'll leave with dignity in tact is a huge relief.
Old 12-02-2011, 09:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Alcoholism is a three-fold disease: Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years! I'll be so glad when it's over.
Old 12-02-2011, 10:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Way to go on your 6 months Yoga!

Champagne can get even my mouth watering when I think back on the few times I was able to enjoy a 10 year old Moët et Chandon.

This will be my 2nd sober Xmas and the last one was amazing. I was fearing missing out on so many good times with friends. But in the end my last Xmas was by far the best holiday season I had ever had.

No morning hangovers so bad that even the air blowing past you hurt the head

Also I did something new and volunteered for operation Red Nose. Its a program for people who want to get home safely after a night of drinking. You volunteer yourself to meet with the people and drive them home safely in their own car.

It was a lot of fun.
Old 12-02-2011, 11:33 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

One of the 'tricks' I used my first few Thanksgivings, Christmases, and New Year's was as soon as I saw a bottle of alcohol of any kind I would fill my whole mind with a picture of a Skull and Crossbones. At first I had to make a 'conscious' effort to do that, but by the end of my First New Year's I was doing it automatically.

I know it sounds 'silly', it did to me back then when it was suggested, but .......................... it worked.

Love and hugs,
Old 12-02-2011, 12:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
In my Own Little World

My birthday falls on December 18th too...How many drinks and invites out to the bar I've turned down from old party friends and people who wanted to date me from days gone by. "Thanks, but no thanks. Do you want to go out to eat, the museum, or a concert instead?" "No, you can't really get drunk there." "Well, then I'm going to have to turn down the offer as I don't drink anymore." "What?!"

I don't go into the why, they don't need to know that. But usually those (especially those who want to date) who party way too much for my tastes now get the hint and decide I'm not in their crowd anymore.

Anyways...I hope everyone has a safe, joyous and sober holiday season .
Old 12-02-2011, 03:10 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Oh wow, champagne and sparkling wines (Prosecco especially) were my DOC too. There's half a bottle in my refrigerator right now belonging to my partner and it's killing me

I've a work do coming up which will be challenging, not to mention Christmas and new year. I've also had a few different invites to go for drinks and I haven't answered any of them because I really don't know what to say. I have a stomach ulcer which means I've a legitimate excuse not to drink but I just don't relish the idea of being around people getting drunk (and most of them drink Prosecco or champagne too). Can't wait for the season to be over.

Will be keeping that image of your drunk guest in the back of my mind because I get drunk really quickly and it's embarrassing

Thank you.

M
Old 12-02-2011, 08:26 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I would remember in great detail the sensation of throwing up whatever I was craving in my early days. Champagne might be okay going down, but coming back up its vile...even if it's Crystal
Old 12-02-2011, 09:57 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

When I was a kid, the holidays were magic. The music, the lights, George Bailey and Bedford Falls—I loved all of it. And it never once crossed my mind that I needed a drink to enjoy it.

That's the kind of holiday I plan to have this year.
Old 12-04-2011, 12:11 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
OMG everything's real

Drinking is such a small part of Christmas and I'm going to focus on making it a great one for my family. And no dreaded morning afters, wondering what stupid things I did and said the night before!