Notices

Research on coffee and liver disease

Old 12-03-2011, 03:11 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Mormons, at least strict ones, don't drink or smoke, which are obviously big killers. Studies also show that people who feel like they are part of a close-knit community get a boost in life expectancy, so that could play a role. Mormons are also less likely to grow up in a violent neighborhood than many other groups, so they get a bit of a statistical bump there as well.

Most studies suggest caffeine consumption has no significant effect on life expectancy (once you correct for the fact that coffee drinkers are statistically more likely to also be smokers, and vice versa). Mormons don't celebrate Catholic Mass or observe Hanukkah, but that doesn't mean it's a reason they live longer.
Old 12-03-2011, 03:22 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Umm coffee

I quit drugs 15 to 16 years ago, still get occasional cravings, I quit smoking about 10 years ago, had cravings but now cigs disgust me, I quit drinking (a work in progress) 9 months ago, I am NOT giving up coffe, of corse I only drink coffee it in the morning and only a couple to 3 cups,

If it helps my poor liver thats a plus!

Old 12-03-2011, 03:25 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Perhaps we should factor in that Mormons would be at higher risk of bicycle accidents. This risk could even be larger than expected due to the fact they wear ties. Hmmm... that would balance out the the benefits of not drinking or smoking a bit... An antisocial, drinking, smoking, tie wearing Mormon on a bicycle, riding through a rough neighborhood- that IS a recipe for disaster, one would think.
Old 12-03-2011, 03:35 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by simian66 View Post
Perhaps we should factor in that Mormons would be at higher risk of bicycle accidents. This risk could even be larger than expected due to the fact they wear ties. Hmmm... that would balance out the the benefits of not drinking or smoking a bit... An antisocial, drinking, smoking, tie wearing Mormon on a bicycle, riding through a rough neighborhood- that IS a recipe for disaster, one would think.
lol
Old 12-03-2011, 03:45 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

My post translated...

Once upon a time I was a kind of guy that thought that you either live in the fast crazy train lane and die young and enjoy life (I used to be ok with that), or you lived in the slow boring lane and lived longer, it’s time to change gears and get into the slow lane (getting wiser), this car has no reverse so no time for regrets, but I do wear my metaphorical seatbelt now, and coffee sounds like it will be good for the bearings.

Old 12-03-2011, 04:01 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Bwaaahahaaaaa! ... @ the bicycle scenario ...
Old 12-03-2011, 06:57 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
~sb

I'm feeling that they aren't saying to drink coffee AND alcohol together....

Don't read into a study the information you want it to say. Heavy drinking destroys More organs than just the liver. Stop the delusional thinking!
Old 12-03-2011, 07:06 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Yes. Exhaustive research has shown unequivocally that alcohol, mixed with anything, is very bad for me.
Old 12-04-2011, 04:30 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I wonder if research into coffee's effects on liver enzymes will one day lead to a pharmaceutical product that purports to treat/cure liver disease in all its stages.

If so, I hope I can find out beforehand and invest heavily in stock in whichever company patents it first... !!!
Old 12-05-2011, 01:31 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

well this is good news because i have no intention of quitting coffee any time soon!