Notices

4 months Sober/does it get harder?

Old 11-30-2011, 02:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

4 months Sober/does it get harder?

My clean date is 8-1-11. Since I've never had honestly more sober time then 1 month through 3 rehabs and almost dieing its pretty sweet. I've finally reconized my defaults and problems. I haven't had to many bad days or really had that urge to just go grab a bottle and slam it. I'm a very young and HAPPY person and being sober I'm looking foward to living life and not dwelll on my past. But I wonder if its gotten harder for people? I don't see it truly happpening to me! I'm sure I'm gonna have ( like everyone does) my ups and downs but that's life. I'm not looking in the near future but I'm always wondering if I will be able to HANDLE just having drinks or if I'm doomed? Anywho I'm happy with my 4 months today. MANY more to come!
Old 11-30-2011, 02:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Congrats on your sober time

Wondering about whether you can handle "just one" would send me crazy. I figure better to just know that I can't and leave it at that lol
Old 11-30-2011, 03:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Lol howd I know that do that? But its always a pondering thought!
Old 11-30-2011, 03:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're finding it easy so far gnicks - congrats (and welcome)

But don't be like me - I've been coasting along before and taken my eye off the ball.

Things were good - and they were good because I wasn't drinking - but I was still wondering if I'd be able to 'handle' just having drinks again one day too..

Inevitably the thoughts kept coming. I got arrogant and I tried 'handling' drinking again.

I couldn't.

I had 20 years experience I *could* have drawn on to know exactly how drinking always turns out for me.

What I learnt on my last time out is that outcome never changes - not if you're a drinker like me.

D
Old 11-30-2011, 03:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Good job

Congratulations on the 4 months. I'm 1 year, 4 months, and 29 days sober, 79 days off crack and I'll never be going back to using again. Please stop at a young age before you waste a life.
Old 11-30-2011, 09:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

Originally Posted by gnicks189 View Post
I'm not looking in the near future but I'm always wondering if I will be able to HANDLE just having drinks or if I'm doomed?
Why do you say 'doomed'.

Are you asking if you're 'doomed' to have a big dramatic relapse if I drink one or are you asking if you're 'doomed' to have a life that is alcohol free?

Anyway it didn't get harder for me. Since I really embraced recovery it has not been hard at all in the typical sense. I always think it's 'hard' like training for a marathon is hard. Yes, difficult but rewarding every step of the way.
Old 11-30-2011, 07:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I don't consider the fact that I can never drink again being "doomed". For me it is a great gift.

I have found sobriety gets easier and easier.
Old 11-30-2011, 08:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

First of all, congratulations on your 4 months sober!

LaFemme pretty much nailed it for me. My last drink was in August of 2004. It was really hard at first but the further I got away from that last drink and started taking actions to remain sober it has gotten easier until now I don't give it too much thought. It is just part of me now. I am a non-drinker. Period.

I am definitely not doomed to an alcohol free life, rather I would be doomed if I picked up a drink again.

Keep up the good work on that four months and I wish you many, many more.

Kellye
Old 11-30-2011, 09:47 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

For me it's not about time, it's about the ups and downs of life. It was pretty easy for me to stay sober when I had a good daily routine and things in my life were going well. When something went other than the way I'd hoped (breakups, getting laid off, etc.) I suddenly found that I had to work a lot harder to keep those cravings at bay.

GG