Notices

In rehab

Old 11-29-2011, 09:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

In rehab

Hi all,

I'm in rehab since saturday.. brought in by emergency
Although I even have Internet access here (wireless) and there's some activities I can't seem to feel comfortable and I just so badly wanna home. If I keep going at this (which is my own free will, but strongly advised) I have to stay in the department for 2 weeks. I can only go out on group activities and such. It's frustrating that I can't go outside because my home is right nearby the hospital.
I feel homesick really. And the withdrawals are still playing parts although I'm given valium every 4 hours. I often feel like crying here even though this isn't such a bad or strict facility.
I don't know how to deal with these feelings anymore
Old 11-29-2011, 09:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
- Motivated -

Wow, you have internet access? I've been in detoxes, rehabs, day programs, 6-month programs and not one of them had internet access.

What your feeling is normal. And I've been there more than once. The first couple of days are the toughest. At the very least you'll get a good two week stretch of sobriety to get you going. Do they have any groups where you can introduce yourself or get to know anyone else there?
Old 11-29-2011, 10:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Not really. People are here for various reasons and I got to know a few through the group activities and the living room.. but I can't say I feel very connected to anyone. I'm pretty much on my own, I even hate the fact that I have to share my room. And I miss the people I _do_ know, like my co-workers. Good thing I see my grandparents almost every day but today they really couldn't make it so I'm feeling kinda lonely while everyone's having visitors.
Old 11-29-2011, 10:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
- Motivated -

I've also been in places where there was a "mix" of people there. Some were there for drinking, other for psychiatric reasons, some for depression, etc. I hope it gets better for you. Can you call any of your family and friends and just talk?
Old 11-29-2011, 10:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

And after those two weeks I still have to do a week but I can sometimes go outside then.
Old 11-29-2011, 10:11 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yeah well for me I feel a depression coming up after quitting drinking :/
And yes, I can phone them, but I don't have many friends that I confide in about my alcohol issue. There's one who might call me tonight.
Old 11-29-2011, 10:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I think I'm gonna go out for a smoke (they told me not to quit 2 habbits at once), we have a balcony for that, although it's veeeery small. Need some air.
If you could share some more of your experiences and what the results were (hopefully positive) you might be able to motivate me to stay and do the time..
Old 11-29-2011, 02:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I might try to make this into a positive experience by focusing on the down time as mental healing.

Take some serious time to reflect on your life, and where you want to be 3, 5, 10 years from now. View it as like a stay in a Zen monastery, except different...more medical, more strange in some ways, less strange in others.

Look at every person you meet as someone who can teach you something, someone who is there to teach you something important. Can you interpret their lesson? Can you be that big-hearted and smart and humble? Not every lesson is sweetness and light. But many have some radiant aspect.

Build your strength during this time, and prepare yourself for the next thing in life, whatever shape it may take.

Openness, I guess, is what a good rehab requires. Best wishes to you and be your own hero in your own adventure. One that leads to long life and much health.
Old 11-29-2011, 02:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Faith

I've never been to rehab but I hope you stick it out - as Runner said this is unashamedly 'you' time - take the opportunity and focus on you for a bit

you've tried the do it yourself route, maybe you ending up there is Fate's way of suggesting it's time to reach out a little and see how other ways work for you?

best wishes
D
Old 11-29-2011, 02:40 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
- Motivated -

Originally Posted by Faith1984 View Post
I think I'm gonna go out for a smoke (they told me not to quit 2 habbits at once), we have a balcony for that, although it's veeeery small. Need some air.
If you could share some more of your experiences and what the results were (hopefully positive) you might be able to motivate me to stay and do the time..
I personally don't smoke but you should feel very lucky that they allow you to there. Quite a few places don't anymore and it's very difficult for some people.

Like I said before, the first few days are the worst. And alcohol is a depressant so while you're detoxing it's very normal to feel depressed.

I DEFINITELY think you should stay. I've made the mistake of leaving places early and it did me no good at all. At the very least you'll get out of there and will have been sober for 3 weeks. I guarantee you'll feel MUCH better at the end of this than you do right now.

Do they have things for you to do to keep you busy? Games? Books? Movies?