Notices

When does the "urge" wear off?

Old 12-07-2011, 06:32 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

For me, the more my life changed into sober living, and the more sobriety meant something to me, the less alcoholism worked against me. Eventually enough of a psychic change was made that the wants and desires of alcoholic thinkings and feelings not so much never happened in my early sobriety, they just became meaningless and powerless against my new found sobriety. I was safe from any "urges" when I understood that surrendering into my alcoholic situation actually kept me safe. Without surrender, all the fighting against that next drink just brought me closer to that next drink.

When I just accepted that my having "urges" was sooner or later going to pass as my life in sobriety took off, I had better success in putting my fighting energy into making even more specific changes to ensure my sobriety rather than waste myself against my old wants and desires.

Surrender is such a personal experience. We're all individuals. Acceptance and on going change is required to be released from the "urges" has been my experience in early sobriety.

Daily maintenance is required otherwise I would eventually fallback into where I came from, and again I would be drunk. It does get easier though of course. Its hard in the early times, and then gets easier as sober living continues.
Old 12-09-2011, 10:59 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I was one of the lucky ones, I didn't have a desire to drink after I got sober. I guess I was really ready and just lucky.

I had stopped going out alot as I was always too drunk to drive home and I wouldn't let anyone take me, i stayed in and drank alot for the last few years or maybe in a restaurant but wasn't a bar person. i enjoy staying home now and love relaxing and doing things around my house. I feel a contentment without alcohol that i never had before. it is good to be sober. you'll get there, don't think on it too much. just go to a meeting where there are fun sober people and you'll have a blast and won't miss the "other" type of night life...best of luck