Notices

Can I really do it?

Old 11-28-2011, 05:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Can I really do it?

Yesterday, all day, I wound up drinking a whole 750ml bottle of 60 proof all to myself. It was a typical weekend binge episode. I usually drink during the week too, everyday or at least every other. During the week I will only have a beer or 2 but the weekends are always extreme. I am so sick of waking up with hangovers and feeling like this. It seems like I can never be drunk enough, I always need more. I have an Rx for xanax that I use to help me with the shakes, I don't know where I would be without that stuff. I went to the ER about 2 weeks about for a really really bad hangover I was having. I got some ativan and a Rx for lithium that I still have. So since I have the lithium I want to do an at home detox. But where do I start? Alcohol makes me so sad and it is starting to take control over my life and my relationship. How do I break my "routines"? How do you say no to a drink and stick with it? Right now I just want to have a beer to get rid of the shakes or should I start up with my lithium and get the ball rolling? It's a scary life to live and I am so sick of it.
Old 11-28-2011, 05:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

We aren't allowed to give medical advice here. I highly suggest that you check with your doctor to see what he or she recommends for you to detox safely. There are way too many variables that can occur depending on your individual body and health status.

Please stick around here and get support. To answer part of your question, yes you CAN get rid of alcohol and its control over you. There are many here who have done so by utilizing various methods. I got sober via A.A. and the support I get from there is immeasurable as well as here. Some go to rehabs and some do other programs as well.

Alcohol withdrawal is one of the very few that has the potential to kill if not handled properly so once again I urge you to check in with your doctor prior to trying to detox.

Good luck and stick around!
Kellye
Old 11-28-2011, 06:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That was some good advice from Kellye; and sure; you can do this thing. Many of here were no different to yourself, and once we hit that spot where we were so utterly sick and tired of feeling sick and tired, we were motivated to do something about it.

I found the support and help I got from recovery internet forums (such as this one) and from A.A. as invaluable. I doubt I would be here nearly three years sober had it not been for these. I reckon I would've went down the suicide route, since I don't like pain, yet luckily enough it was this pain that made me do what I needed to do to get sober.

Stick with us, it's not easy I know, but speaking as someone who thought he had no will power and described himself as 'just a weak man', I know you can do this thing, because if I can, anyone can. Serious. Just put some effort and energy into your recovery and you will be able to live life comfortably, without drinking; it won't even be a problem.

Good luck.
Old 11-28-2011, 07:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes you can!!!
Old 11-28-2011, 02:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

please do see a Dr slp88.
I did a home detox and have the mini strokes to prove it.

Be smarter than I was.

D
Old 11-28-2011, 02:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bmwcycle View Post
Yes you can!!!
To clarify I mean that YES you can stop drinking and end the roller coaster you are currently on, not that you can do it with or without medical help. I hope you do follow the advise of others and seek assistance.

Anyway best of luck and please keep us posted..
Old 11-28-2011, 03:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
I agree with everyone. Safely detox and do talk to your doctor about the xanax/alcohol combo you are doing now. For me personally, that combo was what brought me to my knees. Very dangerous indeed...

and a resounding yes! You can stop drinking. You really can.
Old 11-29-2011, 04:57 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by slp88 View Post
Yesterday, all day, I wound up drinking a whole 750ml bottle of 60 proof all to myself. It was a typical weekend binge episode. I usually drink during the week too, everyday or at least every other. During the week I will only have a beer or 2 but the weekends are always extreme. I am so sick of waking up with hangovers and feeling like this. It seems like I can never be drunk enough, I always need more. I have an Rx for xanax that I use to help me with the shakes, I don't know where I would be without that stuff. I went to the ER about 2 weeks about for a really really bad hangover I was having. I got some ativan and a Rx for lithium that I still have. So since I have the lithium I want to do an at home detox. But where do I start? Alcohol makes me so sad and it is starting to take control over my life and my relationship. How do I break my "routines"? How do you say no to a drink and stick with it? Right now I just want to have a beer to get rid of the shakes or should I start up with my lithium and get the ball rolling? It's a scary life to live and I am so sick of it.
Your friend Xanax has the potential to make your alcohol problem seem like a walk in the park. You cannot use alcohol and Xanax together without running into very serious problems eventually. Using Xanax to lessen the alcohol withdrawal is using it together, that is why it is so effective.

Get a doctor that undersatnds the interactions between alcohol and Xanax, (very few do, this will not be easy) and listen to him or you will be very sorry.