Notices

Liver Health

Old 11-25-2011, 06:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Liver Health

Hello all,

This is my first post and I am planning on quitting today. I just got the result back from my annual blood test and my numbers were:

AST 45 normal 0-40
ALT 57 normal 0-55

I have been drinking nightly for the 7 last years and am worried because I am only 29 years old. I am going to quit immediately but am very worried about my numbers being higher than normal. Can anyone give me any advice on why these may be elevated? I am going to the doc on Monday.

Thanks
Old 11-25-2011, 06:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Josh

It's best if you ask your Dr. but I'd say it's common sense to suggest nightly drinking for seven years would have some effect?

D
Old 11-25-2011, 06:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Nightly drinking for 7 years will often result in elevated liver enzymes.

I've been drinking nightly for about 10 years (stopped for ~3 months) and my numbers were/are quite a lot higher than that. I'm 33. If it puts your mind at ease, my doctor wasn't significantly concerned with my numbers once we ruled out any other causes - as long as I stopped drinking.

You need to talk to your doctor as only he knows your full medical history. Maybe they're elevated for some other reason?

Regardless of why they're elevated you should stop drinking - as alcohol does nothing good for the liver. Glad to see you're planning to stop. Your doctor can help you with this too.
Old 11-25-2011, 08:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Nightly for 7 years - that's my guess why they're a bit high. Once you've stopped for about 6 months have them checked again (I'm sure your doctor will) and they'll probably be down, if not the doc can run other tests to find out why. We're luck that the liver can fix itself.
Old 11-25-2011, 08:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks guys, once your numbers go back down to normal does that mean that your liver is fully healed if you do not continue to drink? I am going to stay sober, I am just praying that I have not cause any long term effects that may cause future health problems. Any additional advice?
Old 11-25-2011, 08:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

we actually have a rule against medical advice here alcx.
Ask your Dr - they'll run you through it - and far better than any of us could

D
Old 11-25-2011, 09:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Welcome to SR!

I'm guessing that if you quit you will find that sober life is actually a lot better in many ways, not just for your physical health. Good luck at the dr!
Old 11-25-2011, 11:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

LFTs can fluctuate based on factors far beyond alcohol consumption. Though it sounds that you already know yours is probably from drinking. The AST/ALT is a good test for acute liver damage. Watch your total biliruben and PT/INR are better for long term liver function. Ask him to Draw a GGT next time if you're concerned I wouldn't be too concerned at this point. Definitely quit drinking. Why damage your liver at all? You only have one.
Old 11-26-2011, 01:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Alaskajosh, welcome to SR

As Dee said, we are not permitted to give medical advice here but what I would say to you is use it as motivation. Yes, the liver has an amazing ability to heal and renew itself but none of us can predict how much alcohol and how long we can continue drinking before we finally do irreparable damage. You have youth on your side so do something now before it really is too late (which could be next year or in thirty years).

Wishing you luck.
M
Old 11-27-2011, 06:12 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks all, I was not wanting to get specific medical guidance just wanted to get some advice from the others to feel better. I still have not drank a drip of alcohol since and am going to have my blood drawn in the next couple of weeks to compare. The doc did not seem concerned and said that my results would have to be three times that for him to be worried about the situation since they were only outside normal by a few points. I did not ask him if he thought hepatitis could have been possible. Anyway, My father died at 46 from a heart attack and was a drinker himself, so I just dont want to end up the same way. I appreciate the positive comments.

Thanks again,

Josh