Notices

Anger/Irritability in the morning

Old 11-25-2011, 01:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anger/Irritability in the morning

Hello Everyone,

Is it common for people in their early stages of recovery to suffer from intense feeling of anger & irritability in the morning? I have been sober for about three weeks now, well actually on and off the wagon for the past three years. My psychiatrist and I discussed the anger problem I have and he changed my meds from anti-depressants (which I had been on for 15+ years) to a mood stabilizer.

My routine as a parent of two young kids is to get up around 4:30-500 am to take the dog out for an hour walk. During the walks I usually feel angry. In the past two years I have tossed out of anger and frustration three coffee thermoses I used to carry with me during the walks. My wife noticed that all three of these thermoses were nowhere to be found in the kitchen, and when asked where they had gone, I lied and told her I had lost them. I later then opened up and told her the truth. Any advice about how to deal with this anger would be appreciated. I exercise (weights/aerobics) at least 5 days a week to try and sweat out the anger and meditate daily for thirty minutes.

Sincerely,

PatK
Old 11-25-2011, 03:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Pat,

I set aside 15-20 minutes each morning for quiet time - in my case prayer and meditation. This helps considerably. I use the AA big Book, Norman Vincent Peale, Joel Osteen - anything that will settle me.

It doesn't always work. The pressures of everyday life kick in - I'm a teacher, have 2 small kids, money issues - but then I pull out the heavy artillery.

As a Man Thinketh is a good read and reminds us that as men we will never grow up until we stop "whining and reviling" and blaming everyone else for our problems.

If that doesn't work, I go down to the Charles River and let out a few primal screams...just kidding. I've been sober some time now, but still have to deal with anger. I think we all do. Drinking isn't an option, though.

Mike
Old 11-25-2011, 04:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm about a month sober, and I have been noticing the same thing. I'm wondering if a lot of the anger and irritation I'm feeling is about having smothered it in alcohol for so long = not just numbing out the feelings, but actually drinking to make myself "bad" so that I felt I deserved some of the crap I was putting up with.

Does that make sense?
Old 11-25-2011, 04:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Mike & SamanthaIam,

Thank you both for the quick and helpful replies to my message. And yes, SamanthaIam, what you wrote does make sense!

Sincerely,

PatK
Old 11-25-2011, 08:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

When I was a kid I remember my dad being a cranky camper in the morning and I hated it. I remember wondering, what is the point, what gets accomplished by being a dick to the people who love you first thing in the morning? Now, of course, I see the same tendencies in myself. I agree with Liamsdad's remedy, imperfect as it may be, tho I wonder if they will help if you're already walking the dog every morning. It's good that you're discussing this with your doctor. Good luck.
Old 11-25-2011, 09:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Ditto

1 year, 4 months, 15 days sober. honest to god, I'm actually training myself not to be irritable and angry, and its starting to work. It takes time for new behavior to become habit.