Notices

Medication to help

Old 11-25-2011, 09:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Medication to help

Hey all. I know there are a few different medications to aid a person in ridding themselves of alcohol dependency. Is there any way to get the medication without a prescription. I don't have insurance, nor do I want alcohol treatment on my medical record.

I cant remember the name but I believe there is a medication which specifically aids in reducing the cravings. I don't really have withdraw symptoms (shakes etc) however I do crave alcohol especially when im not occupied.

Any advice.
Old 11-25-2011, 03:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

The medications I have heard of are available by prescription only and thus require a doctor visit. I've heard pros and cons on the medications. From what I understand, they can help with cravings to a certain extent but on the flip side a determined alcoholic can drink around the meds if truly motivated to do so.

I admit that I can't speak from personal experience on this issue as I got sober cold turkey through A.A. with no medications and at the time, nothing in my medical charts due to the fact that I had no primary care physician and no insurance. I did, however, get a doctor as soon as I had insurance and I told her right off the bat I was a recovering alcoholic so that she would know my history, be on the lookout for potential problems and most importantly so she wouldn't prescribe meds to me that had the potential of addiction. It was intensely embarrassing to admit this but was necessary to safeguard my health and my sobriety. Plenty of others do the same.

If you want to try the medication route you may consider going to a public health clinic or one of those walk-in clinics and pay cash. When you get insurance I don't think it will show up on you if you don't list them. Even so, there are worse things than seeking help for an addiction. It indicates a willingness to care for your health and a commitment to change.

Whatever you decide I wish you luck!
Kellye
Old 11-25-2011, 03:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi alcx

I'm sorry - you won't find information about how to get prescription meds illegally here.

The best advice is to see your Dr - your well being is more important than any other consideration.

I never used any meds - have you thought of other options like AA, or SMART or some other recovery programme?

D
Old 11-25-2011, 03:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The main medicines used to treat cravings are Campral and Naltrexone.

Antabuse is a medicine that makes you very sick when drinking so acts as a deterrent.

Both Antabuse and Naltrexone can be harmful to your liver so you need bloodwork done before you go on them, and during treatment.

None of the medicines work alone, they all need to be taken in conjunction with some sort of therapy or treatment program.

I guess there are always ways to get these meds without seeing a doctor, but I wouldn't advise it. You're risking your health, and not getting the most out of them.