Notices

ADVICE or ENCOURAGING WORDS?

Old 11-23-2011, 03:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy ADVICE or ENCOURAGING WORDS?

Hi! I wanted to try to get some encouraging words...I have been sober since April 22, 2008. I am married and have 3 school-aged kids and have been a stay-at-home mom since they were born.

I had a REALLY hard bottom before I got sober. I got TWO DUIs in 4 months in 2008! (I know, insane!) I can't believe how crazy alcohol made me 3 & 1/2 years ago! I am so glad I am sober now..

Anyway, here is my question...I want to go back to work and I am scared no one will hire me again. After graduating from college, I worked for 4 years in Human Resources. I have not worked in 13 years because I have been home with my kids. (I have not worked since getting the DUI's).

I have read some other posts on here and some people are just down-right mean to people that have gotten DUI's! I don't need that. I am a good person and have changed EVERYTHING to stay sober and live a sober and honest life. I HATE the fact that the DUI's will follow me forever. I feel like I can never truly move past my "past".

Will anyone ever hire me (besides crappy jobs that no-one wants to do)? I haven't even applied anywhere yet because I am afraid of rejection. I really hate that my DUI's are still haunting me...and controlling me.

Also, what if I wanted to go to nursing school? I have heard I can't even do that!

THanks and have a great Thanksgiving!

Jen
Old 11-23-2011, 04:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Jen

I don't know anything about DUIs I'm afraid - not a driver and not American.
You say you're scared noone will hire you, but have you actually checked it out?

D
Old 11-23-2011, 04:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I can't speak for everyone, but the two DUI's would not be a big problem if you have been sober for 3+ years.

I don't have any experience with nursing school, but I know 3 - 4 nurses who are active in AA and still working in a hospital setting.
Old 11-23-2011, 05:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It seems that we alcoholics have two things in common:

Heads full of ego, bellies full of fear.

I honestly don't think you'll have a problem being hired, but you might want to take a few of those "crappy jobs that no one wants to do" to get some recent work experience and to get your feet wet in the work force again.

There's more room for advancement starting at the bottom anyway.
Old 11-23-2011, 06:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Perhaps check into doing some temp agency assignments to a) get your feet wet again by easing back in and b) beat the fear back some.

Depending on the type of company you would work for the DUI's may count for a while, may not be relevant, or may knock you out but the only way you will know is to research it and try. As a former HR professional I probably don't need to tell you this but whatever you do, don't lie about it. While a company may work with someone with prior convictions if that person is upfront and honest, they will not if they were lied to.

Like another poster said I know people personally who got their GED then went to college to become nurses in sobriety. They had to jump through a few extra hoops to get approved for admission but they were able to do it.

Congratulations on the 3.5 years sober. That is huge and just remember that when you feel doubt.

Good luck!
Kellye
Old 11-23-2011, 07:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Jen,

Congrats on your sobriety and turning things around!
I honestly do not recall DUI's having anything to do with getting a non-law enforcement job, but it has been awhile since I have applied for a job.
Are DUI's felonies and something you have to put down on a CV or job application?
If you must list them, let them know about your 3.5 years sober and the children you have been raising!

Good luck to you, and keep your chin up!
Old 11-23-2011, 08:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I dont know Jen. The job market is AWFUL beyond the comprehension of so many. I graduated college (with many years of work experience, just not the RIGHT kind of experience) and I spent an insane amount of time unemployed despite the continuous search... Then I eventually, out of desperation, ENLISTED in the Navy.

More to the story, but my dissatisfaction seems to have accelerated my drinking even more (you know...needing an escape and all of that, especially if you knew what my job really entails and deploying in less than a week).

I hope you can find better luck than I.
Old 11-24-2011, 02:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm not sure where you live, but I am a nurse....the woman I was closest to in school had a DUI...and started working full time less than a week after we finished school.
Old 11-24-2011, 06:16 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I live in Australia, so what I tell you may not be completely relevant but Australia and the US are similar in a lot of ways...

I had a drink driving offence in 2003. It's called a PCA offence here when you blow over the limit. We do have DUI but that's used for people who are visibly impaired. It's a more serious offence.

Anyway....

Since that happened I have been offered jobs in Government, defence, and private indsutry. Only the first two required me to declare my convictions. When I have had to declare them there's always been a section on the form for you to add comments. I've expressed remorse and stated it won't be happening again.

As far as I know I have not been discriminated against because of my record.

The longer since the offence the less relevant it becomes.

Do you have a spent conviction scheme where you are? Where I am the record gets locked after 10 years and only has to be declared in very limited circumstances (i.e. when applying to work with children and similar things).

I know a drink driving offence on its own won't preclude you from gaining a government/defence security clearance here.

It's not the end of the world. You've got your life on track and it won't happen again. Chin up
Old 06-11-2014, 08:31 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

zero unemployment in God's company

Originally Posted by Jen042208 View Post
Hi! I wanted to try to get some encouraging words...I have been sober since April 22, 2008. I am married and have 3 school-aged kids and have been a stay-at-home mom since they were born.

I had a REALLY hard bottom before I got sober. I got TWO DUIs in 4 months in 2008! (I know, insane!) I can't believe how crazy alcohol made me 3 & 1/2 years ago! I am so glad I am sober now..

Anyway, here is my question...I want to go back to work and I am scared no one will hire me again. After graduating from college, I worked for 4 years in Human Resources. I have not worked in 13 years because I have been home with my kids. (I have not worked since getting the DUI's).

I have read some other posts on here and some people are just down-right mean to people that have gotten DUI's! I don't need that. I am a good person and have changed EVERYTHING to stay sober and live a sober and honest life. I HATE the fact that the DUI's will follow me forever. I feel like I can never truly move past my "past".

Will anyone ever hire me (besides crappy jobs that no-one wants to do)? I haven't even applied anywhere yet because I am afraid of rejection. I really hate that my DUI's are still haunting me...and controlling me.

Also, what if I wanted to go to nursing school? I have heard I can't even do that!

THanks and have a great Thanksgiving!

Jen
Thank you for quick replying to this person with internal bleeding. I have a right answer for you, no matter if it wasn't the one you expected. Here it is :

"Go and make disciples of other nations."

In other words, the owner of a company called "the whole world" is passing you a job offer with benefits. This is the deal : you seek after Him with all your heart and He shall reveal Himself to you.

You shall be paid along-way in food and all the other necessities, but not in excess, neither in scarcity, and not on your ideal Hollywood terms (big house, car....) but first with peace in your heart, sound body and firm faith. Once you repent, you shall receive the Holy Spirit and enter into the covenant (better than contract) with El-Shaddai - God of Israel. Then , you shall go out and seek disciples, just like you sought after this bleeding person.

Let me pray for you.

Father! You asked me to make disciples. I do that. But here I found a great opportunity. Will you not rush with response when I ask for the right thing ? I ask for this person to become disciple of rabbi Jesus from Nazareth. May you please make arrangements for her to observe and find out the events are your will. So I ask that this person be fruitful and wins over hundred other disciples, all annointed with the Holy Spirit. I am doing this because you asked me and out of gratitude for what you have done and keep doing for me. Be it so in Jesus name . Amen!
Old 06-11-2014, 10:48 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

I know your situation feels very frightening right now. I am sorry that you are going through this.

I am a retired nurse/paramedic who got both of those licenses after having gotten a DUI, although the DUI was 8 years prior to starting either school. I also have a friend, who works for an attorney, who during the job interview was honest about the fact that she is a recovering alcoholic and as it turns out that was part of the reason she was hired. The attorney is a recovering alcoholic and makes an attempt to give recovering alcoholics chances by hiring them. This man is a very prominent attorney who has tried some very high profile national cases. The one stipulation that he had when he hired her though was she had to attend at least one AA meeting a week.

During the past 13 years of my recovery I have never seen anyone turned away from a job because they were a recovering alcoholic although I am sure that it happens. I have also seen many miracles where people have gone back to school and gotten the job they always dreamed about or have turned their lives around completely after having been out of the work force for a while due to their disease.

There is hope that things will get better. The path may have a few weeds and rocks on it but if you keep heading the direction you feel is right then you will wind up where you are supposed to be. Please don't let the fear paralyze you into inaction because things never improve without action. If you start by choosing one task, like say calling up a nursing school and asking them about the DUI and admission, then once that task is complete it will lead you to the next step, like either finding a nursing school or seeking a different career path. But if you keep it simple by just focusing on one task at a time you will wake up one day and be amazed that you are finally at what you thought was impossible.

I wish you the best in your journey. Don't forget to stop along the way and enjoy the view.
Old 06-11-2014, 12:53 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I went to a technical school, and our class met with many different recruiters. My friend (and smoking buddy) had a conviction on his record. When the companies'applications asked, he always checked the box "yes," even though he was scared to death they'd reject him. Turns out one branch of IBM interviewed him and asked him point blank about it. He explained it face-to-face, and assured them that his bad behavior was in the past. He got the job! He was so happy he was running through the halls!

Just saying, it isn't necessarily the end of the world. Your personal impression goes a long way toward selling an employer.
Old 06-11-2014, 03:28 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

This thread is over three years old, guys. I hope the OP got a job or solved the problem.
Old 06-11-2014, 03:31 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Wow! I feel like a fool now! I thought I was imparting something really deeeep and wiiiise, man!
Old 06-11-2014, 03:36 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Originally Posted by Gilmer View Post
Wow! I feel like a fool now! I thought I was imparting something really deeeep and wiiiise, man!
Not as much as a fool as I felt the couple of times where I posted accidentally in the men's room
Old 06-11-2014, 03:39 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Talk about being the skunk at the garden party!
Old 06-11-2014, 06:28 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Originally Posted by Gilmer View Post
Don't feel like fool, the bumping up of this thread might just help someone else .
Old 06-12-2014, 04:45 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
This thread is over three years old, guys. I hope the OP got a job or solved the problem.
That's perfectly fine. Eternal principles are holding forever.