Notices

Wine in cooking?

Old 11-27-2011, 01:39 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

aha

Originally Posted by lostbutterfly View Post
they were discussing this on tv last night. Apparently more alcohol will evaporate from an open bottle overnight than will burn off in cooking. Can't comment as i never left any alcohol over!
You've been watchng QI - that's what started me off looking into the question
Old 11-27-2011, 02:17 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Administrator

I remember when I first got sober...I'd nearly died from my drinking.

I accepted the fact that alcohol and I had a toxic relationship. I decided I best treat alcohol with the utmost respect from now on and watched everything I ingested.

Personally, I don't think that's a bad default position for someone in early recovery.

D
Old 11-27-2011, 02:32 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I completely agree and having spent the last 17 years being sure I was burning off the alcohol in cooking I've been happily using wine in my cooking.
I love cooking.
I make some really good sauces that use wine.
I'm trying to reconcile this with the idea that I've actually been ingesting for all these years with what to do now that it appears that the alcohol does indeed stay in the food.
Do I stop making my sauces?
Hence my search for answers or experiences on this forum.
If Adabuse doesn't respond to/reject the alcohol contained in a sauce cooked with wine does that mean the alcohol, although present chemically has somehow been neutralised or what.
Like I said, any input very welcome.
Old 11-27-2011, 02:46 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Administrator

If you're taking antabuse Anatolian you should discuss this with your Dr.
The consensus on antabuse is pretty clear.

Ethanol should be avoided in patients receiving disulfiram (antabuse)
What Foods Should You Avoid On Antabuse? | LIVESTRONG.COM

http://www.sct.nhs.uk/_documentbank/...se_leaflet.pdf

With all due respect to JustFor1, I wouldn't take his experience as typical, or an approach I'd recommend to others.
Old 11-27-2011, 03:39 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

I should probably mention that a few of the lessons I've had on this have come by accident, like the time I went to great pains to make sure there was no wine in the sauce I was eating at a restaurant, only to find out after I'd eaten it that it they'd misunderstood the question. They assumed I meant UNCOOKED alcohol and as I freaked out, they assured me it had all been cooked off. Then I wondered why I was making such a fuss, since I hadn't been even remotely triggered.

As to the mouthwash...that was a deliberate choice, but here's the thing: I don't drink it, I spit it out. And I can't say I enjoy it; I use Listerine!
Old 11-27-2011, 11:09 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
OMG everything's real

Originally Posted by Anatolian View Post
You've been watchng QI - that's what started me off looking into the question
Ha,ha. That my science for the week, along with infinite monkey cage on radio 4. Worth a listen, if like me, you need reminding that you aren't the centre o the universe!
Old 11-28-2011, 02:08 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Dee74 tks 4 yr concern but not taking Antabuse - had never heard of it until reading this thread - just wrestling with my psyche on whether to actually stop using wine in my cooking which I don't really want to do since the recipes need it.
Old 11-28-2011, 03:41 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Ha,ha. That my science for the week, along with infinite monkey cage on radio 4. Worth a listen, if like me, you need reminding that you aren't the centre o the universe!
Haven't done the monkey cage thing - we get UK tv on internet with vpn - we're in Greece.
Re yr remaining addictions - with you on horses and caffeine although sugar not of particular interest
Old 11-28-2011, 06:46 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

but onlythetruth, would you cook with wine?
Old 11-28-2011, 11:41 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
OMG everything's real

Originally Posted by Anatolian View Post
Haven't done the monkey cage thing - we get UK tv on internet with vpn - we're in Greece.
Re yr remaining addictions - with you on horses and caffeine although sugar not of particular interest
I knew I had a drinking problem when i preferred the bottle to the company of a horse!
Old 11-28-2011, 12:14 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I remember when I first got sober...I'd nearly died from my drinking.

I accepted the fact that alcohol and I had a toxic relationship. I decided I best treat alcohol with the utmost respect from now on and watched everything I ingested.

Personally, I don't think that's a bad default position for someone in early recovery.

D
I agree totally with Dee!

I almost lost everything in my life, including myself, to alcohol.

Why, in god's name, would I buy a bottle of wine, beer, whatever, to cook with??? How could it possibly be that important. I REALLY don't get it.
Old 11-29-2011, 03:44 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Thanks all, a great variety of thoughts in this thread!

For me, I'll be taking the safe route and avoid anything I know is cooked in wine, at least for the first year or so. I know it's a mental thing for me though... I was so crafty with sneaking my alcohol that allowing myself to eat alcoholic food at this stage might just lead me down a familiar path.

I'm thinking it's like being a vegan for a while rather than being a vegetarian
Old 11-29-2011, 03:59 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I knew I had a drinking problem when i preferred the bottle to the company of a horse!
do you know what, LB, I misread yr post first time round and thought you were saying: 'I knew I had a donkey problem when I preferred............"
LoL - it's great to be a nutter when abolutely sober

I tried to 'mix' riding and drinking for a time - while still drinking frightening amounts, I was riding out just outside Paris in Maisons Laffitte.

Quite terrifying looking back on it.

Luckily I crashed into a truck in Florida (long story - suffice to say the other guy didn't have mark on him), spent 2 1/2 weeks in coma, 3 months in hospital and came out the other end otherwise unscathed apart from a few scars and a conviction that alcohol wasn't for me.

This followed 6 years spent with harldy a waking moment un-intoxicated.

I subsequently went back to Paris and spent 6 years riding out every weekend NOT drinking - much safer for the horses.......

Actually did a riding safari in Kenya for honeymoon - MEGA.
cheers
Old 11-29-2011, 04:07 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
I agree totally with Dee!

I almost lost everything in my life, including myself, to alcohol.

Why, in god's name, would I buy a bottle of wine, beer, whatever, to cook with??? How could it possibly be that important. I REALLY don't get it.
Dee, tks for yr input - Anna, just becaue we're all 'united' by being victims of our relationship with alcohol it doesn't follow that we share other like, disliked and priorities.

Cooking is important to me. I'm not insisting everyone should feel the same way and I don't deserve or condemnation of any kind for it.

I came on here seeking advice, not summary judgement.
Old 11-29-2011, 12:36 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
OMG everything's real

horses deserve to have us sober, they give us so much. And the only donkey problem i have ever had is that they keep biting me!
Always dreamt of doing something like a riding safari. Anyway, off topic, back to that cooking!
Old 11-29-2011, 01:10 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Administrator

You might be reading a little too much into a smiley, Anatolian - noones condemning you least of Anna.

(You won't find a nicer fairer or more long serving person here, btw).

You clearly like cooking with wine. That's your call and it seems to have worked for you for many years.

I think Anna has a great point tho, it's a position I share, and it's what I'd recommend to anyone wondering about this issue.

Frankly, I think there's something for everyone to think about in what she said.

As the OP has made a decision, and we seem to be going round in circles now, this thread is closed.

D