Notices

my mom just blew my job interview

Old 11-23-2011, 12:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

my mom just blew my job interview

hi, my mom was too lazy to find me stand outside when a potential job called, possibly offering an interview. now, i'm inconsolable and drinking two 40's. I'm calling them, but they may not call back 2morrow.
Old 11-23-2011, 03:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Is it a good idea to call them after drinking? My thoughts as an employer is, no, don't do that.

Wait until tomorrow, call them and explain that you were unavailable but that you had the message passed on. Tell them you're keen to spend some more time chatting about the position etc, take it from there. When an employer wants someone they do what they can to get them!
Old 11-23-2011, 05:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Get a cell phone......and a card with minutes on it. They're DIRT cheap. Use that number for jobs ONLY. Problem solved.......and I didn't have to drink over it.
Old 11-23-2011, 05:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

How is drinking going to help with this situation?
Old 11-23-2011, 05:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Poison Eater Extraordinaire

Sometimes I read stuff that astounds me on this particular board, and then I have to remind myself of the fact that many people who post are still drinking and I need a reality check in terms of what I was like when i was still drinking.

I've thought it over, and despite the fact I was a morning, noon and night vodka drinker, this would not have been my attitude unless perhaps I was in a blackout. What may have cost you the job is the fact that you don't have your own cell phone and that your mother answers the phone number you gave them...not the fact that she was "too lazy" to come and get you. At any rate, take some responsibility for yourself, sober or not.
Old 11-23-2011, 06:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

yeah, not sure what words of wisdom i have for you, i understand how frusterating it is dealing with other people. although to realize that no matter what someone does to you , your in control of what you do. mom tells you she hates you, caught wife in bed with another guy, dog died today. these are hard emotionaly on anyone, but not excuses to drink really. i'm not exactly sure where your at, i know i used to look forward to someone fu**ing up so i could go back out, i was responding to what they did to me so i felt justified. but really everyone needs to be ready to quit, to quit.
Old 11-23-2011, 06:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

A post of yours, Superman, from THREE YEARS ago... I don't mean to shame you but it may be helpful to look at where you were then.....where you are now.....and notice the similarities. Like they say, if nothing changes, nothing changes.

Originally Posted by superman1 View Post
I've been on SR for 1 1/2 months, and this is only my 4th overall post. It's because I'm in a really good group therapy...group, so I get to vent once weekly there. And I have kept building upon what I said each previous week.

But in that time span, I've relapsed into weed once. That happened circa January 8th, then I've getting by day-to-day with shake from the bag, and the tiny bits of resin that were left over. Today, I've finally used the last bit of that resin, and I'll throw away my few pieces of paraphernalia. Obviously, my real problem was only with weed. So I'll white-knuckle my urges for the next week as I hopefully get into my court-ordered rehab. Maybe, once there, I can relax at the end of a long day with a hot cup of tea. That tea idea isn't foolproof, but it seems like a sensible idea. Hot tea does relax me physically and ease my mind for at least an hour, much like weed used to.

I haven't had a drink since I started here on SR, and I hardly care. That's because I used to drink 40s, and they would regularly make me mad, before I passed out. But weed seemed to solve my problems for the evening.

Then, last week, a member of my group therapy suggested that the weed makes you "paranoid". That's a side-effect that I never realized, due to my strong personality. But a few days ago, I experienced that effect an hour after a few quick puffs of resin. I'm sure that hot tea doesn't mess with your psyche!

Besides I'm 24, so I'm too old for weed anyway. Maybe I'm finally growing up!
Old 11-23-2011, 06:56 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yeah, drinking will sure show them! It is like consuming poison and expecting the other person to die. We only hurt ourselves.
Old 11-23-2011, 06:59 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I kept drinking/drugging under the belief system that all my troubles were of someone else's making...see, they have to change for me to be okay...

...eventually a man helped me see that all of Omega's troubles were of Omega's making...

..what does this mean you may be asking? It means Omega is the only one that has to change for things to be okay.

Peace and God bless.
Old 11-23-2011, 07:02 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It ain't your moms fault, the job interview nor your drinking. You have to fix both of those.
Old 11-23-2011, 07:05 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Trudging that road.

I really don't know what to say other than I used any excuse to drink, and I seemed to always drink because of what others did to me. It was my greatest excuse especially w/my family. When I got sober and did my 4th step I found out that if I had stoped blaming others than my #1 excuse would be gone. I am so grateful I am free of being a victim today and I hope I can really believe that through the upcoming holidays.
Old 11-23-2011, 07:22 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Superman

I agree with the others re: taking responsibility... As suggested, get your own cell phone w pre paid minutes. It is YOUR FAULT,not your Mother's.
But,don't beat yourself up for chugging the 40's... Let it go and start over today.
I'm sure you are sober now(7 hours later) so call the potential employer and apologize for the delay..
Don't think negatively. I'm sure you aren't the only person who didn't answer the phone.
Btw, I personally like stores like Target,Costco,etc. for work. Benefits are great and you have a SPECIFIC PURPOSE once you arrive at work..
Chin up dear and Happy Thanksgiving!
daisy
Old 11-23-2011, 07:28 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Please don't blame your mom -- it was your decision to drink. Drinking only makes things better, not worse. I hope you can get back to sobriety soon. Good luck with the job search. I know it's hard but drinking isn't the answer.
Old 11-23-2011, 08:10 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pigtails View Post
Drinking only makes things better, not worse.
I am pretty sure they mean "Drinking only makes things worse, not better:
Old 11-23-2011, 10:17 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

That's quite an overreaction over a missed phone call. Yes, she didn't find you to give you the phone, but let's not project too much blame on mommy. All you had to do was call them back.
Old 11-24-2011, 08:22 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I missed an entire interview appt once (and this was BEFORE I ever started drinking, go figure lol). Completely forgot, and they STILL rescheduled. And I still got the job. Color me baffled.

It's not a big deal. Just call them back. BUT WAIT UNTIL YOU SOBER UP!!!
Old 11-24-2011, 08:31 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
FT

superman1,

Is your mom a drinker, too? If so, she may be afraid she is going to lose her drinking buddy.

One way to show your mom who is in charge is to actually TAKE charge of your situation. Sometimes family members sabotage each other unintentionally, and sometimes intentionally, if they are strongly codependent on each other.

Good luck. The way out is YOU. If you think your mom is sabotaging you, make other plans for your support system.

FT
Old 11-24-2011, 08:40 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Job interviews can be incredibly dehumanizing. I know the feeling all too well of sitting in the opposing chair while the interviewer asks "How are you going to make this company better?" or "In this situation, how would you react with the customer".

It's all such ********. Hang in there, mind your P's and Q's and, at the very least, pretend you care.

That said, don't blame your mother for your own mistake.
Old 11-24-2011, 08:58 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

This post sounds very similar to another recent post in this forum. The other guy is also about 30 years old. You are 30, so it's been long overdue that you take responsibility and don't blame mommy anymore. Good luck on the job search.
Old 11-24-2011, 10:41 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I don't know your situation, but I am thinking she's letting you live there with her, even though you're 30'ish and should be looking after yourself.

But whatever your relationship with her, I don't think one should EVER call their mother names. I am a mom of a 23 year old, and being called names like "lazy", after I do my best to help when I can, would break my heart. It is judgemental, mean and cruel, imho.

The faults that many point out in others are often things that they dislike about themselves. (Are you lazy?) Apologies if I am out of line, but since you posted on a public forum I am assuming you are open to all opinions.

In any event, please be nicer to your mother. And please don't try to make her feel like she is the reason you are drinking. Please take care of yourself. Good luck with everything.