Notices

Anxiety About AA

Old 11-22-2011, 04:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anxiety About AA

Today is the second time I'll be attending an evening AA group (this one meets once a week). I realized that both today and last week I was so anxious during the day. I get afraid for some reason of how the meeting will go and how the people will be and whether I'll get emotional etc. For some reason I can't concentrate on anything else all day. I got absoluteyl nothing productive done today!!

Last time I went, once I was in the thick of things I was fine, but leading up to that I just felt anxious and unfocused and overwhelmed. Does this happen to anyone else? I think I should try to find a morning group so I can start my day out with the meeting and get it out of the way and hopefully feel relaxed all day instead of anxious (I also would like to become more of a morning person and have a regular, earlier sleep schedule, which I think will help my anxiety-related sleep disorder). But I also have a goal of exercising first thing in the morning (not that I've been accomplishing it!) so maybe a lunch meeting would be good, to break up the hectic day. I suppose I could do a morning meeting and a lunch workout, or vice versa.
Old 11-22-2011, 04:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Happens to me almost everytime! Seriously! Exactly like you said...
I have to really muster up the courage to go to meetings (worried about what people will think of me, do I have enemies there, will I know anyone etc...) all unfounded...
and everytime I come home I feel so much better.
Thanks for posting
Old 11-22-2011, 04:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Encourager In Training

Chin up, PT. Those initial AA meetings would be nervewrecking in the best of cases simply because of what AA is (i.e. an addiction recovery program). How much more so in the case of the typical alcoholic who enters the program from a place of great brokenness.

You are doing greatly.
Old 11-22-2011, 04:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by whatevername View Post
Happens to me almost everytime! Seriously! Exactly like you said...
I have to really muster up the courage to go to meetings (worried about what people will think of me, do I have enemies there, will I know anyone etc...) all unfounded...
and everytime I come home I feel so much better.
Thanks for posting
I'm so glad to know it isn't just me.

I like the meeting I went to last Tuesday evening. It was a small group of very helpful women, and a friend that I made quite awhile ago at an AA meeting (I stopped going for a long spurt) invited me and is going again tonight too. But I think I need something earlier in the day so that this anxiety doesn't impede my work performance/overall concentration. Thank you for letting me know I'm not alone!
Old 11-22-2011, 04:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
Chin up, PT. Those initial AA meetings would be nervewrecking in the best of cases simply because of what AA is (i.e. an addiction recovery program). How much more so in the case of the typical alcoholic who enters the program from a place of great brokenness.

You are doing greatly.
Maybe it will just get better over time then. And maybe I should go more than once a week so I get more used to it.
Old 11-22-2011, 05:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Pigtails, I don't go to AA meetings, but I do know that balance in my life has helped me a lot. If you are feeling stressed on days you go to meetings, maybe you can take some time to exercise or get out of the office for awhile.
Old 11-22-2011, 05:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Encourager In Training

Originally Posted by Pigtails View Post
Maybe it will just get better over time then.
Pigtails, on this journey you've undertaken everything will get better over time.
Old 11-22-2011, 05:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Pigtails, on this journey you've undertaken everything will get better over time.
Good to know, because right now I sometimes feel like I have even more anxiety/stress/emotional topsy-turviness than I did when I was drinking. I am trying to ride it out but it is quite a ride.
Old 11-22-2011, 05:21 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Encourager In Training

...right now I sometimes feel like I have even more anxiety/stress/emotional topsy-turviness than I did when I was drinking.
Just remember, PT, if quitting was a cinch then people wouldn't die of this ****.

Sobriety is so, so worth it. Life is not meant to be wafted through while enveloped in the fog of alcoholic oblivion.
Old 11-22-2011, 05:24 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Poison Eater Extraordinaire

FWIW, I think morning meetings are the best...I'd definitely try that.
Old 11-22-2011, 05:36 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by freethinking View Post
FWIW, I think morning meetings are the best...I'd definitely try that.
Thank you. It'll give me a reason/commitment to get up early, something I really need to do anyway. And I think it will be a good way to start the day.
Old 11-22-2011, 05:36 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Just remember, PT, if quitting was a cinch then people wouldn't die of this ****.

Sobriety is so, so worth it. Life is not meant to be wafted through while enveloped in the fog of alcoholic oblivion.
Okay I will remember that! Thanks.
Old 11-22-2011, 05:48 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
~sb

Before having the steps in my life, I was full of self-centered fears and expectations. I was anxious all of the time, worse going to AA.

Today is much different for me!

You're in a room full of anxious people!

Old 11-22-2011, 05:53 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Poison Eater Extraordinaire

Thank you. It'll give me a reason/commitment to get up early, something I really need to do anyway. And I think it will be a good way to start the day.
It's an awesome way to start your day - it really gives it a centered focus and purpose for the rest of the day.

I know this sounds rude, but when i get anxious about something I often times say to myself: Look at all the other jacka$$es who have done [insert task here]. They're no smarter than me, so why can't I? Why should I be worried?
Old 11-22-2011, 05:59 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
Before having the steps in my life, I was full of self-centered fears and expectations. I was anxious all of the time, worse going to AA.

Today is much different for me!

You're in a room full of anxious people!

I'm glad to hear there's hope. Yes, it's self-centered and I can't break free of my own worries/distractions/unnamed fears. I would love to break free of them.
Old 11-22-2011, 06:00 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by freethinking View Post
It's an awesome way to start your day - it really gives it a centered focus and purpose for the rest of the day.

I know this sounds rude, but when i get anxious about something I often times say to myself: Look at all the other jacka$$es who have done [insert task here]. They're no smarter than me, so why can't I? Why should I be worried?
Ha ha, true. I used to be worried about my abilities to do things, like in my job, but eventually I realized everyone does things their own way, and differently, so I should just trust myself and relax and go with it. Now my anxieties are more about living... and they are vague and unnamed. I can pinpoint that on the Tuesdays I've been going to AA something takes over big time that knocks me totally off kilter and it seems impossible for me to focus. But I can't pinpoint what exactly it's all about... just facing myself, I guess. :-/
Old 11-22-2011, 06:12 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I went to my first meeting in a long time this morning pigtails. I did the just put one foot in front of the other technique. For example, I was saying to myself, "you don't have to go, but, lets get in the car and drive that way". I did this until I finally got into the meeting and it turned out being pretty good actually. I plan on going back tomorrow actually. One of the reasons I used to drink was to stay out of situations like that unless I was drunk. Lol. Sometimes we have to step outside our comfort zones to get what we want.
Old 11-22-2011, 06:19 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by UofI2008 View Post
I went to my first meeting in a long time this morning pigtails. I did the just put one foot in front of the other technique. For example, I was saying to myself, "you don't have to go, but, lets get in the car and drive that way". I did this until I finally got into the meeting and it turned out being pretty good actually. I plan on going back tomorrow actually. One of the reasons I used to drink was to stay out of situations like that unless I was drunk. Lol. Sometimes we have to step outside our comfort zones to get what we want.
Thanks. I am going now and hoping I will be glad I did.
Old 11-22-2011, 06:20 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thanks. I am going now and hoping I will be glad I did.
Good. I know one thing is that you most likely won't regret it as much as getting drunk.
Old 11-22-2011, 06:44 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I think I should try to find a morning group so I can start my day out with the meeting and get it out of the way and hopefully feel relaxed all day instead of anxious (I also would like to become more of a morning person and have a regular, earlier sleep schedule, which I think will help my anxiety-related sleep disorder). But I also have a goal of exercising first thing in the morning (not that I've been accomplishing it!)
During the week, I'm up at 5AM, out running 6-10 miles by 6AM, in my AA Home Group daily meeting by 8AM. (On Saturdays or Sundays I run longer).

Once I started that schedule, I no longer had any issues sleeping.

I really believe that AA saved my life.

Good luck to you.