Notices

Stress, Metabolism, Alcohol and Hangovers.

Old 11-20-2011, 10:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Stress, Metabolism, Alcohol and Hangovers.

Every night after work I usually stop by somewhere for some dinner and then when I get home a do a few small things and then I put on a move and start drinking.

I am an insomniac and I've been driking for almost 20 year before bed to get to sleep and it has never been a problem.

However, my life has been very stressful the last few years since my wife left me and our divorce was a very traumatic one that left me with emotional/psychological/physical issuse that I never had before. Also being out of work for over a year and finding (and quitting) terrible jobs has been extremely stressful.

The company I work for right now is a good company and I am very luicky, however, it does have its stressful periods.

I find that when I am stressed or depressed out my body metobolizes calories differently as to when I am feeling fine.

Examples:

If I am going through a stressful time at work (or life in general) I have less appetite and wake up with hangover, anxiety, depression ect.

When I am really feeling good about life and all is well, I eat like a horse and I can drink a lot and wake up feeling fine except for maybe a little grogginess that goes away fast. No hangover no nothing.

I was with my wife for 18 years and we drank together and mostl;y relaxing conversation every night. I never really had hangovers for all those years considering they were pretty low stress years compared to now and the more recent past.

Anyways, the point I am trying to convery in this post is that your mood and/or state of mind directly effect if you get a hangover or not and how bad. Maybe its the way your bnrain controls your metabolism, I don't know.

What do you guys say?
Old 11-20-2011, 01:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it's down to alcohol being a progressive condition yumcha.

I never got hangovers either - until I did.
Alcohol helped me with my sleep too (or it seemed to) until it didn't.
I was a nice quiet secret drinker - until I wasn't...

it's the nature of the beast.

D
Old 11-20-2011, 04:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I think it's down to alcohol being a progressive condition yumcha.

I never got hangovers either - until I did.
Alcohol helped me with my sleep too (or it seemed to) until it didn't.
I was a nice quiet secret drinker - until I wasn't...

it's the nature of the beast.

D
Those are good points, very good points.
Old 11-22-2011, 03:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sally1009

It sounds like you are grieving for your lost marriage, and my condolences to you. My husband died two years ago, and my drinking got dramatically worse. Alcohol takes pain and insomnia away initially, but causes rebound symptoms of them before too long. Grief doesnt mix well with alcohol. Perhaps the mornings you don't have hangover are when you have eaten well the day before, and vice versa. I think a visit to a doctor would help. Best of luck to you.
Old 11-22-2011, 06:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I never got hangovers for the last 2 years of my drinking. The reason for that of course is that I didn't draw a sober breath for those last two years. (of pure hell)

I used to drink at my problems too. Some of those problems were probably real problems, but they really didn't matter. All that mattered was drinking.

I couldn't fathom life without drinking, and I tried everything I could think of to keep on drinking. That was until I turned that magical corner where beauty became the beast.

I'm sorry you're experiencing anxiety and the like. I used to feel the same way at times.

But, not anymore.
Old 11-22-2011, 06:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR runnerbill

D