Administrator

Alcoholics’ Brains Must Work Harder

Alcoholics’ Brains Must Work Harder | Psych Central News

I knew it...

D
Old 11-19-2011, 04:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Poison Eater Extraordinaire

Lol, is this a nice way for them to say we're stupider?

At any rate, really bad idea they did the study 5-10 days after abstinence....still a really foggy time for most, including myself. My nerves are still shot at that point.
Old 11-19-2011, 06:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

That makes a lot of sense. I even remember, when I was drinking, "wow, my brain is SLOW". I could think, but the process was clearly slowed down compared with others.

Fortunately the slowness did cease, and my brain is pretty fast these days. The problem now is that I forget things, like where my car keys are. And I have this horrible tendency to call my kids by the wrong name (occasionally even the name of a pet). However, I think this is a product of being a middle aged female!
Old 11-19-2011, 03:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

In all seriousness, my brain was pretty messed up, and for a fairly long time thanks to 20 years drinking and a bad last detox but I think it's doing fine now....mostly lol

D
Old 11-19-2011, 04:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Today is day 66 for me and my brain is still slow and groggy. I see a big change from when I first got clean/sober but I do look forward to the days of having my brain working to its full capacity.
Old 11-19-2011, 05:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

That test has no real validity.

The patients weren't studied before they ever drank, nor while they drank.

Just because "they" claim the initial acute withdrawal phase had ended, WE alkies know that at ten days we aren't close to being normal. At 6 months, I KNOW my brain is not functioning at top performance, as this is still improving daily.

Be careful what you read. It may be Vanderbuilt, but it's most likely a student-run simple study. Don't believe everything you read-just another's opinion!
Old 11-19-2011, 05:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

didn't match your experience SB?

D
Old 11-19-2011, 06:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

The patients weren't studied before they ever drank, nor while they drank.
Nor into ongoing sobriety as my Neurologist has for many years. We find recovery, we stay sober, and WE BUILD NEW PATHWAYS for the ones we destroyed.

Articles like that are just 'fluff' with no real input. It is already known how many brain cells we destroy and the longer we drink the more we destroy. New pathways are not created overnight, but they can be and are created. SHEESH

Thanks for the laugh Dee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Love and hugs,
Old 11-19-2011, 06:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

In early sobriety I do feel that my brain is certainly slow and gets confused easily. I often find myself feeling/acting drunk even though I'm not. I'll go into one room and forget what I'm doing. I'll use the wrong word or not really know how to say something, or not be able to concentrate. Symptoms such as these were part of the reason I wanted to stop drinking (usually I feel that I'm very smart so I knew alcohol was getting the best of me!), but I was surprised to find them lingering, and in some ways worsening, during sobriety. I hope my brain turns itself around soon!
Old 11-19-2011, 07:12 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Pigtails...it's taken me awhile to get my brain sorted but eventuLly it seems to be doing better. I noticed a big improvement around 10 months I think. I did a lot of puzzles in early sobriety...it's a good way to exactitude the gray matter
Old 11-19-2011, 07:15 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Ok...actually read the article...but it gave me a headache...i think I used to much of my brain trying to understand it
Old 11-19-2011, 07:59 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

thats awsome, not really, i get it, today is day 8 and now i know why i am so zoned out at work
Old 11-21-2011, 12:37 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Baby Girl D

Why do they have to work harder
Old 11-21-2011, 02:14 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

basically they suggest we need to compensate for the injury we do to our brains, Dawnie - other parts of the brain learn to take over - at least in the initial period of recovery.

D
Old 11-21-2011, 07:44 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
~sb

D-
at 10 days it definitely matched my experience! At 6 months, my brain is better than at 10, but not at top performance. I can't predict the future, but I've observed many others.....maybe I'll never be at top performance, maybe my new nerve pathways will surpass my old ones.

What this study reveals is that "yes, alcoholics have self made brain damage as seen at 10 days alcohol free." Of course the brain will be slower.

In my former life, I taught students with special needs. I have the eqivalency of a master's degree. Brain damage is real. If a person suffered brain damage as a result of trauma (in our case self inflicted daily of ethanyl alcohol), the brain will heal--usually be creating new neuron pathways. Their title is a little misleading....have they studied a 20 or more year non drinking alcoholic?

Again, it only proves that a damaged brain is slow.....

The brain is amazing!
Old 11-21-2011, 04:04 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

I realise it's all a little self evident...& I had a little fun with it with Homer there - but as a guy with cerebral palsy I'm always interested in the brain and how it makes new pathways.

I think the thing about this study is it used fMRI to confirm its findings...not that it was necessarily breaking any startling new scientific ground

D
Old 11-27-2011, 11:31 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
OMG everything's real

Now I am obsessively tapping my finger!