Notices

I'm an angry person

Old 11-19-2011, 06:48 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

thanks for the post - interesting comments though sad to see that the drinking is not under control. I hadnt thought of it in this way but guess I also have a lot of suppressed anger as well that also pushes me in the direction of alcohol. On the surface I am always calm, nice and reasonable (to use Transactional analysis terminology I exhibit a high level of adapted child behaviour) but underneath my natural child is angry, mean and selfish and I cannot forgive others or myself.
Old 11-19-2011, 08:42 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Gone In

Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
...I think I have hang ups that I have to get over, and once I get over these I will be able to get over drinking. Therefore, my drinking is an ultimate byproduct of these certain hangups that I have...
I think you have it backwards. Alcoholism is a primary disease, which means it stands on it's own. Embarking on a program of self improvement will not magically cure your alcoholism.

Quit drinking first, then work on the parts of you you want to change.

Saying 'if only I can get over these hang ups, then I can quit' sounds like the alcohol talking.
Old 11-19-2011, 09:46 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by davaidavai View Post
Alcohol, drugs are change inhibiting and life in its essence should be transformative.
I really really like this. thank you for writing it!

Tyler - What brings you to this forum when you drink? Is there something you like about it?
Old 11-19-2011, 09:07 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Happy Birthday Tyler

I ended up an angry drunk too. It was light years away from who I wanted to be.

For me everythign I gain in my recovery started from the point of quitting drinking.

I couldn't do any of the other things I needed to do to change my life & my self and make me happy while I was still drinking.

I think supports very important in staying sober. None of us do this alone.
I know other folks here from NewOrleans too so it's not impossible.

Hope to see you here more than once a week

D
Thanks for the kind words friend!

And the fact that you see me here only once a week is a testament to how often I drink. I guess that's one good thing!
Old 11-19-2011, 09:09 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BASEjumper View Post
I think you have it backwards. Alcoholism is a primary disease, which means it stands on it's own. Embarking on a program of self improvement will not magically cure your alcoholism.

Quit drinking first, then work on the parts of you you want to change.

Saying 'if only I can get over these hang ups, then I can quit' sounds like the alcohol talking.

Well I am an extremely self conscious person, and this sometimes leads me to drink. I am really outgoing sober but even more outgoing drunk, and much less self conscious.