Notices

Here's a new one for you...

Old 11-18-2011, 01:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Here's a new one for you...

Let's face it after some sobrietry, do you question other's? Do you judge? Are you concerned?
Old 11-18-2011, 01:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Addicts see addicts. I had an ex who was hooked on meth and would say that everyone was peaking.

I see people drinking massive amount all around me and I think they're all alcoholics. Some might be, some might not be. I don't judge them negatively, think that I'm in anyway superior because I've acknowledged my own drinking, but I do jump to the conclusion that most people I know are alcoholics.

The thing I've learnt over the years it to not try and help these people... either they aren't addicts and they now know too much about me, or the are addicts and resent the idea that they might actually be an addict, and you lose that way too.

I've learnt to leave other people's business to themselves But I think that's something I've learnt from age, not alcoholism.
Old 11-18-2011, 02:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ForeverDecember View Post
I've learnt to leave other people's business to themselves But I think that's something I've learnt from age, not alcoholism.
I agree with this. I just don't say anything at all, even when I feel terrible for the person. It does no good. IMO, all it does is shame and alienate the person. It's none of my business and not up to me to try to control another person's life.

If someone is quitting and needs support, I'll be there. That is an odd thing I've noticed that I never noticed before I had a problem. Suddenly, even though I am not currently in AA, there are a bunch of people coming to me for help when they want to quit and I'm actually able to give support, because I understand.
Old 11-18-2011, 06:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

Originally Posted by drumstick View Post
Let's face it after some sobrietry, do you question other's? Do you judge? Are you concerned?
Of course I question others. I'm curious. Of course I judge. That's nothing more than discernment. And of course I am concerned. I'm a caring human.

I hope that never changes!
Old 11-18-2011, 06:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

If I happen to be around a drunk obnoxious person, I mostly feel "OH I am so glad that isn't me!" Because I used to humiliate myself with alcohol a lot. I don't know if this is judgement... it's more like feeling sorry for someone.

I have a friend who drinks an insane amount, and I guess I have thought "he needs help" -- but I've never called him out on it. If he asks or wants to talk about it, I'd listen and try to help, of course.
Old 11-18-2011, 06:22 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have found that I have become more understanding, open-minded, and accepting. I guess we all judge .. I don't think I judge negatively though .. Or, if I do, I think I catch it and put things into perspective more easily now than I did when I was drinking. If that makes any sense.
Old 11-18-2011, 09:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am a member of the most comparative, judgmental group of people on the planet.
Old 11-18-2011, 11:57 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Baby Girl D

I see other ppl like me and that we are all here to help one an other
Old 11-18-2011, 12:03 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Always, Never & Forever

Me too omega.
Old 11-18-2011, 12:18 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Sometimes when I am bouncing for extra money I find myself wanting to judge those that are drinking. However it crosses my mind that many of them are just having a few drinks on a Saturday night for fun and may not drink again for weeks, so who am I to judge them really......
Old 11-18-2011, 12:28 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Its only Day Two for me- I'll have to say that I was one of those you were looking at