Notices

Cravings v wantings?

Old 11-17-2011, 10:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Cravings v wantings?

Hi folks I'm still here, and edging past 6 weeks now. I'm on Revia which is meant to stop cravings. I've noticed that my level of 'cravings' hasn't changed yet, but I've only been on them 10 days.

So, for you guys is there a difference between craving and wanting? I want to drink from time to time, but I don't crave it (I think).

I'm thinking it's like craving is when you're starving hungry and would kill for a bit of rice, whereas the wantings is more like looking at a donut when it's just past lunch time and you're full, but you could eat.

I'm wanting alcohol, especially when I think about it (trying not to think about it), but not craving.

What are/were your experiences? Does the wanting go away?
Old 11-17-2011, 10:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Hmm, good question. I guess IME cravings are a more guttural, deep-seated longing for something, whereas wanting to drink is a little casual. I want to drink occasionally, but I then am quick to remind myself why that is a bad idea and why I'm far better off staying sober.

IME, cravings were bad for the first few months and since then only the occasional wants have come and gone, but nothing that I couldn't deal with. I'm sober 7 months now.

FWIW, I think there is a lot of wisdom in not avoiding letting your thoughts go to alcohol. I think it's important to think those thoughts all the way through and consider them without acting on them, of course. I have a feeling that when you continually try not to think about drinking eventually your wants might turn into cravings and then you will have a harder time keeping yourself sober.

There's a thread on here about urge surfing that talks about this in more detail, I'll see if I can't find a link.
Old 11-17-2011, 10:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Here we are:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...e-surfing.html
Old 11-17-2011, 11:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Thank you Josh. That's a good point about avoiding thinking about drinking... that was my 'coping' mechanism in the beginning, I should probably stop that now, especially since I have the medical support and and feeling stronger now. I'll try the urge surfing technique.
Old 11-18-2011, 03:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

From what I have learned, craving is the physical side of alcoholism and something that we no longer experience when we are free from alcohol after a short time. When we have "withdrawn" from alcohol we no longer have cravings.

Wanting alcohol is the obsession. Alcoholics suffer from a physical craving and a mental obsession. It is the mental obsession that can cause relapse after relapse after relapse and can last for years and years if not dealt with.