Notices

I'm struggling

Old 11-18-2011, 01:28 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really sorry too. I can't really see the sense in what they've done, to be honest.
I agree with Anna tho - take care of yourself and that little bub.

I hope you can get things sorted out ASAP - prayers and best wishes to you J

D
Old 11-18-2011, 01:41 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Poison Eater Extraordinaire

Just be careful with the meds they give you - the baby is effected by what you take too.
Old 11-18-2011, 02:00 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hang in there. Its not like he is jail for capital murder or something. He'll get out. This is a short term difficulty that is solvable. Take care of yourself for your baby's sake.
Old 11-18-2011, 04:56 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Oh crap, I'm so sorry to heat that.

No good advice from me once again Just as others have said - this too shall pass... :S Look after yourself and your bub, and before you know it this will be a distant memory.

((((PD))))
Old 11-18-2011, 07:45 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

I'm sorry, PaperDolls. I hope it resolves quickly and favorably for you, and that you get better representation for the future.
Old 11-18-2011, 10:02 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
instant

PaperDolls my thoughts are with you.
Old 11-19-2011, 06:36 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

Good heavens. Just ran across this thread. I'm a lawyer.

PaperDolls, I'm just really sorry. On behalf of my profession, sorry.

It is true that sometimes lawyers get overwhelmed. That happens to me sometimes, too.

But as another poster wrote, whether you are paying a discounted fee or not, you are entitled to competent representation, part of which means that phone calls are returned in a timely manner (in my firm we have a rule: 24 hours) and that the lawyer does what s/he says s/he is going to do (like get in touch to prepare for the hearing).

This sort of behavior should be reported to the lawyer's disciplinary board of your state.
Old 11-19-2011, 06:41 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I wasted about $4,000 on a lawyer that seemed to be more on "their" side than mine.

I yelled at him once that I pay you to represent MY interest NOT HIS.

He said I was a terrible client he ever had cause I yelled at him and made him feel like a schmuck that he was.

F....cker!
Old 11-22-2011, 09:13 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

I found this last night and it's been helping me get through right now.

"Dear God,
When I lose hope, can you please help me to remember that your plans for me are better than my dreams?"

I have a feeling I wouldn't be quite so emotional about all of this if I were not pregnant. During a day I go from ok to weepy to mad to scared and back to ok. I've been talking with my sponsor several times a day which is helping. I'm still so horrible at reaching out for help .... I've been avoiding my family which I know is not good ... I'm just not used to telling them how I'm feeling and I don't want them to worry about me. I know, it's normal for people who love us to worry about us ... it's ok, as long as they don't worry too much. I'm just not used to it.

Thank you all for the good vibes and prayers. I need them.
Old 11-22-2011, 09:22 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

There is the larger view of maintaining some mental and spiritual health...but in the tactical sense, this lawyer needs a wake-up call and he needs it now. Maybe because he charges less, takes payments, etc...he thinks he doen't need to provide good service. I personally know that being broke is humiliating - it's a downward spiral - late fees, higher interest...when you don't have the money to pay the original charges! Such a stupid paradox. But - with this guy I would leave a personal message with his assistant, a voice-mail, email and text...telling him you're personally calling the court to file for an emergency extension of the case due to attorney negligence.
Old 11-22-2011, 09:36 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

Sorry to hear that, PD.

When is the trial (will there be a trail?) Is he going to be incarcerated until then?
Old 11-22-2011, 09:45 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Originally Posted by SSIL75 View Post
Sorry to hear that, PD.

When is the trial (will there be a trail?) Is he going to be incarcerated until then?
I'm pretty clueless right now. I don't know if there will be a trial or how long he'll be in jail.

I do know it's a po-dunk little county in Missouri and they don't have any sense of urgency. I spoke with a guy at the jail yesterday and he was a real backwoods jerk. Fact is, fiance is in the wrong and he'll have to suffer some consequences. I just hope the court isn't unreasonable.

As far as the incompetent attorney goes .... I'm done with him, although my dad says to demand his call logs. It may help with his case, at least a little bit. We recently made a payment to him and as far as I'm concerned we are owed some money back. I'll figure out if making that call to him is worth it.

My aa/lawyer friend is helping me out as much as he can as he cannot practice in MO. He's willing to make some calls for me which is helping me with the not knowing, It's killing me. That an my thinking .... killing me.
Old 11-22-2011, 06:13 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

As bad as I feel right now I have to remind myself today was better than yesterday.
Old 11-22-2011, 06:26 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm at least glad for that J

D