Notices

How bad off am I?

Old 11-16-2011, 02:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How bad off am I?

I have drank/quit/drank/quit for about 15 years. This last time out, I started drinking every night at 6pm and drink about 14 beers in 2.5 hours. I have done this for the last 5 weeks. I am going to quit tomorrow and I'm worried about how bad this will be.

People talk about reverse tolerance and I'm noticing that. I'm wondering if after all these years of drinking and quitting, I have hit the point of reverse tolerance. Seems it takes less to feel horrible, not even drunk, just sort of sick and numb. Is this reverse tolerance?

What is in store for me in the next few days of drying out??

thanks,
CD
Old 11-16-2011, 02:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My drinking was very much like yours. I stopped drinking and went through withdrawals both mentally and physically. I was under the care of a nurse at that time. Each person has different withdrawals. Seek medical help if you need it!
Old 11-16-2011, 03:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
~sb

Just alcoholism.
Old 11-16-2011, 03:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Alcoholism is progressive, and you are in the downward spiral of alcohol addiction. There is hope in recovery.
Old 11-16-2011, 03:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I really don't know it's much good to compare our descents CloudyDays- obviously you're aware of a progression in your addiction, and it's great you've decided to quit

If you're worried about withdrawal the best thing to do, bar none, is to seek professional medical advice - see your Dr

D
Old 11-16-2011, 07:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My pattern is similar to CloudyDays and I had the same question. I used to just go out with friends a lot and drink then, never at home, but over about the last year I have been drinking at home about 5 nights a week and going out with friends once or twice. I do not drink every day, but only seem to be abstaining about one or two nights per week. This worries me.

I've not missed any work over it or anything, and when at home I will usually have 3 or 4 mixed drinks (made with double-shots, so it's more like 6 to 8) over a period of about 4 hours. If I go out with friends, 4 draft beers would be typical. So, I am not getting sloppily drunk, but I've researched a little and probably get somewhere around the BAC .15 range, give or take a little. Also interesting is that this pattern seems to be holding with me - it is not really getting any worse. I never drink in the mornings (and don't want to). But let me say that I am very uncomfortable with the frequency. I also feel sluggish a lot the next day and am not on top of my game.

Finally, I am worried about the long-term health effects of what I am doing...and although I have not had a drink today and will not be having one, I am thinking it would be hard to stop completely. Any comments, etc. or how you can relate to my situation would be appreciated. I am new here...is my problem (yes, I have one) mild compared to the others in here? Is it worse? Thanks.
Old 11-16-2011, 07:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

What is in store for me in the next few days of drying out?

There is really no way to predict that. The effects are a continuum sorta like the "bell shaped curve" and ranges from a mild hangover to death. Generally, I think the longer and harder you drank, the more severe the effects. Don't take chances, see a Doctor.
Old 11-17-2011, 07:19 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

First off, NKE, welcome to SR. As I've seen posted often on this forum, if you think you have a problem, you probably do. That said...

Originally Posted by nke19 View Post
...when at home I will usually have 3 or 4 mixed drinks (made with double-shots, so it's more like 6 to 8) over a period of about 4 hours. If I go out with friends, 4 draft beers would be typical. So, I am not getting sloppily drunk, but I've researched a little and probably get somewhere around the BAC .15 range, give or take a little. Also interesting is that this pattern seems to be holding with me - it is not really getting any worse.
"It is not really getting any worse," you said. Not yet.

Similar words kept me drinking for over 30 years. I drank well above normal amounts, but not in amounts what I considered outrageous. I felt as long as "someone" drank more than me, I hadn't reached the danger mark yet. For years, I was very consistent in my intake...until one day I wasn't. I know it didn't happen overnight, but when I finally noticed it, my drinking had probably doubled.

Try to quit. Try 30 days. The difficulties you encounter, if any, will tell you a lot about the extent of your problem.

Good luck.
Old 11-17-2011, 01:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I put it off until Saturday morning. Tonight and tomorrow night I will do my usual. And then Saturday I will try and go without. It is my birthday that day. Seems like I good day to try.

And yes, this disease is progressive. I always secretly prided myself in being a "functional alcoholic" but with this last relapse I am secretly drinking every single damn night, having fights with my husband and then blaming it on the fact that I am off my prozac. All lies. After 15 plus years of drinking, abusing and becoming addicted to alcohol, I have never been a daily drinker out of necessity and yet here I am. Never thought I would get here, and here I am.

I'm worried about my brain. I'm worried about seizures and shakes and GOD FORBID DT's. I am so scared. I will be quitting without anyone knowing how bad its even been the last 5-6 weeks. But I have no choice. If I go talk to my doctor, she will probably recommend a few days detox. And the people in my life can't know what's up or everything will be taken away from me. And that means I won't survive.

The good news is that I have and old, old friend who I actually didn't think would make it to the ripe old age of 40 due to his intense alcoholism and surprise surprise, he is almost a YEAR AND A HALF SOBER!! So I think I will loop him in on Saturday in case I need a bailout.

So I'm scared. And I simply can not believe how bad this last relapse got. I did not ever think I would be where I am right now. Drinking at exactly 6pm because I NEED TO, not even because I want to. Getting no buzz or joy out of it, just taking it like it is medicine. So effing sad and scary and .... yeah.

I watched my brilliant and talented uncle drink himself to death. He died just shy of 50. He shrivelled up, turned yellow and returned to his mom's house, the house he grew up in, to die. And that's what he did. I was 8 and visited him with my parents one last time. He sat in his armchair, his childhood armchair, looking haunted and hunted. And died.

Will this be me???
Old 11-17-2011, 02:24 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Argonaut

Of course I also advice medical help, but if it really isn't an option, try to get some Valium for the first week to prevent seizures and monitor your pulse and Blood Pressure every few hours.
Old 11-17-2011, 02:27 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CloudyDays View Post
I put it off until Saturday morning. Tonight and tomorrow night I will do my usual. And then Saturday I will try and go without. It is my birthday that day. Seems like I good day to try.

And yes, this disease is progressive. I always secretly prided myself in being a "functional alcoholic" but with this last relapse I am secretly drinking every single damn night, having fights with my husband and then blaming it on the fact that I am off my prozac. All lies. After 15 plus years of drinking, abusing and becoming addicted to alcohol, I have never been a daily drinker out of necessity and yet here I am. Never thought I would get here, and here I am.

I'm worried about my brain. I'm worried about seizures and shakes and GOD FORBID DT's. I am so scared. I will be quitting without anyone knowing how bad its even been the last 5-6 weeks. But I have no choice. If I go talk to my doctor, she will probably recommend a few days detox. And the people in my life can't know what's up or everything will be taken away from me. And that means I won't survive.

The good news is that I have and old, old friend who I actually didn't think would make it to the ripe old age of 40 due to his intense alcoholism and surprise surprise, he is almost a YEAR AND A HALF SOBER!! So I think I will loop him in on Saturday in case I need a bailout.

So I'm scared. And I simply can not believe how bad this last relapse got. I did not ever think I would be where I am right now. Drinking at exactly 6pm because I NEED TO, not even because I want to. Getting no buzz or joy out of it, just taking it like it is medicine. So effing sad and scary and .... yeah.

I watched my brilliant and talented uncle drink himself to death. He died just shy of 50. He shrivelled up, turned yellow and returned to his mom's house, the house he grew up in, to die. And that's what he did. I was 8 and visited him with my parents one last time. He sat in his armchair, his childhood armchair, looking haunted and hunted. And died.

Will this be me???
Try the doctor anyway. She may be able to prescribe you meds to detox at home.
Old 11-17-2011, 04:08 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I got to the point this summer where I was drinking about an 18pack of beer each night. I would tell myself that "hey at least I'm not drinking hard alcohol" as if 18 beers is healthy. typical addict logic there. when i quit i had tremors, i was sweating all the time, insomnia and when i could sleep the dreams were so vivid it didn't even seem like real sleep. the dreams were always nightmares. from my experience the anxiety that i feel from withdrawal makes it almost impossible for me to stay away from alcohol so i needed valium like other people have mentioned on here. i've done it cold turkey before but it took about 3 days for me to be able to function or eat.
Old 11-17-2011, 11:03 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I'd say go to a doctor - I did and he helped me to quit. I drank in a similar pattern though, from knock off time until pass out time. 4.30pm-8.30pm, about 10-14 drinks in that time. The doctor put me on meds for the withdrawal and I'm going to be seven weeks sober on Monday.