SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   Withdrawal - pins and needles feeling (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/241122-withdrawal-pins-needles-feeling.html)

mwstylee 11-15-2011 08:03 PM

Withdrawal - pins and needles feeling

I'm trying to quit again after an over the top bender. As in drinking all day and all night for about a week. When I've tried to quit before, I would get the pins and needles, tingly feeling on my hands, face and legs. But it is a lot worse this time. It's been all day, every minute.

I realize I've probably messed up my central nervous system pretty good this time. Does anyone have an idea of how long this lasts?

Scolova 11-15-2011 08:15 PM

I had that sort of feeling in the base of my skull at the top of neck. tingling, raw nerve kinda headache off and on for the first ~two weeks, I took Aleve and it seemed to help, but if you can see a dr. that'd probably be good. Wish you the best, the drink ain't no good at all.

eJoshua 11-15-2011 10:00 PM

Hasn't happened to me, but I have read about it happening to others on here occasionally. I would definitely check with a doctor if you haven't yet.

Dee74 11-15-2011 11:41 PM

If you had a weeklong bender you should see a Dr anyway I think.
But in this case I'd check with a Dr too - just to rule out anything serious :)

D

mwstylee 11-16-2011 05:19 AM

I woke up this morning drenched in sweat, and had a terrible night of sleep, but the nerve tingling feeling has almost subsided. You don't know how happy this made me. I'll be stubborn and not go to the doc, but will pop a couple ibuprofen. Onward to day 2.

BullDog777 11-16-2011 05:34 AM

just be careful....withdrawal can be dangerous. if your heart starts racing, i'd get to an ER. also, you might try to keep an eye on your blood pressure. some people have had strokes during this process. it's one thing to make your body never forget this pain...it's quite another to put your life in jeopardy.

I endured a 30 day cold turkey detox that almost killed me. i had stroke level blood pressure, multiple seizures and insomnia for weeks. be careful. if the ER is not in the cards, open the phonebook and look for one of those urgent care places...you know the ones that treat colds and sore throats and such....well, give them a call and ask if they treat alcohol withdrawal...most do and the visit will only cost you between $25 and $50. some places even have the medication on hand. in any event, the meds are really cheap if prescribed. you can get the benzo, and the BP meds for under $10 in most places.

keep us informed and try to check in often.
Good Luck.

ACOAHappyNow 11-16-2011 05:50 AM

I have read about the pins and needles feeling, it is related to nutritional deficiencies that occur during heavy drinking and once a person stops drinking, the body gets the nutrients it needs and quickly repairs itself.

If the person continues drinking heavily, however, the damage progresses and over a period of time (years?) eventually becomes permanent.

Please try to take some B-complex vitamins as you continue healing!

Wishing the best for you!

mwstylee 11-16-2011 06:29 AM

Thanks yall. I guess going to the doc isn't really a money issue (lucky to have good insurance) but I'm so hesitant to face another person and reveal to them how severe my drinking is.

Bulldog777-I'm a bit nervous you mention the racing heart. I sat at work yesterday with my heart racing like crazy, sweaty palms, shaking, etc. I will take your advice to heart if I feel this coming on again that heavily. I'd say it's maybe 30% less today.

ACOAHappyNow- Just ate breakfast and popped a vitamin. I'm usually too hungover to eat breakfast, so this is a great change and I'm sure my body appreciates some nutrients other than alcohol and pepsi chaser.

switchboard 11-16-2011 06:43 AM

I had the pins and needles thing for a while. It was worse at first .. but didn't really go away for many months, although it was only most noticeable upon waking during those months. I had it in my hands and feet. I also had the symptoms that Scolova mentioned - the raw nerve head thing.

Congrats on your progress so far. Vitamins, drink lots of water, and take care of yourself! You're doing great.

LaFemme 11-16-2011 08:09 AM

Seeing a doctor is a great idea. I had the pins and needles the last year or so I drank and they persisted for several months after quitting. I had actually forgotten aboutthem until I saw this thread.

Geo2d2 08-30-2016 10:46 AM

Same....

Hey all new here am on day three of drying out... I also get the pins and needle thing but not just isolated to my hands and feet it will be random all over my skin. Sometimes actually makes me jump I get it worst in the evenings after work. I find excersise helps. Doctor couldn't hurt but much like original poster I'm one of those I got myself into this I'll get myself out of it stubborn types. I've read it subsides within a few weeks varies from person to person sure hope so it's driving me nuts.... Been taking B vitamins at my wife's urging hopefully it helps. I'll try and update within the next few days.

JD 08-30-2016 11:26 AM

Welcome Geo! Just a heads up, this thread is pretty old. But you've found a great site for support.

Soberwolf 08-30-2016 11:39 AM

Welcome Geo

sugarbear1 08-30-2016 02:59 PM

I still get it sometimes (5 years sober now), usually when I've eaten a lot of sugar. And I am pre-diabetic....

Geo2d2 08-31-2016 07:41 PM

Much gratitude

Thanks all for making me feel welcome!

BeFree1971 09-01-2016 06:56 PM

I was glad to find this ... have the same issue. Mine is all over, really bad tonight. Think its pre-diabetes for me from skipping meals and just drinking instead for so many years. Hoping it goes away. Drives me crazy.

Good luck Geo2d2

Leaflet 09-01-2016 07:03 PM

I always get the pins and needles feeling in my hands and feet when I am withdrawing. It is especially noticeable if something startles me or upsets me. I had not consciously considered that it was alcohol related until you posted this, so thanks!

Dee74 09-01-2016 07:21 PM

Welcome Geo2d2 :)

My advice above is old but still stands - anyone worried about this, go see a Dr - get some expert opinion - could be a great many things, many not serious, some more so.

D

BeFree1971 09-02-2016 08:25 AM

I Googled to get more information after I read this post last night. Vitamins especially Thiamine, folate, niacin, vitamins B6 and B12, and vitamin E as well as a good diet helps. On the days I walk 4-5 miles, I've noticed it's way better if not gone (motivation to do it everyday).

thomas11 09-02-2016 09:43 AM

I learned about alcoholic neuropathy on this website. Its pretty serious. As has been mentioned, a doctor''s visit is never a bad idea.