Notices

Is it already too late if I stop now? I'm 29

Old 11-11-2011, 07:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Is it already too late if I stop now? I'm 29

I have been a heavy drinker, on and off for the last 8 years (abstained for two pregnancies, so I guess 6 or 7 years of heavy drinking). Maybe 3-4 years of drinking about a bottle of wine/some shots every night and then 2 or 3 years of drinking that much 2 or 3 nights a week. Currently drinking once or twice a week. I am 29. I also have bad hypochondria/anxiety which doesn't help things LOL. Always convinced I have something horrible wrong with me. I had a full workup in September, liver panel, the works and everything looked fine but I am still scared what if something didn't show up in the tests or something? What if my drinking has already destroyed my body to the point of no return? 8 years is a lot of drinking. I am quitting now but should I even bother or is it too late?
Old 11-11-2011, 07:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Kelsey, welcome to SR!

It's not too late. It's never too late. It's good to hear that your test results were positive. Just think, by quitting now, you won't have to worry again about the damage drinking can do to your body.

You're still young and healthy. What a great time to quit drinking!
Old 11-11-2011, 07:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

If you just had a work up and everything was normal I would say it's great that you quit while you're ahead.I too had recent tests and my liver functions were fine. I binged for a straight month and was sure I'd done at least a little damage because my abdomen was screaming every day. I don't think it's ever too late and also, you may become less of a hypo by quitting because you may not feel so anxious/worried which for me always comes with the horrid hangover. I can be on the hypo side too but not drinking and treating my body better makes me worry a lot less. If I waited to quit until 5 years from now, I may have done some damage. I certainly don't want to find out and I hope you feel the same
Old 11-11-2011, 08:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks, yeah, I can't handle this worrying about it anymore. I'm done. I guess I just need reassurance that it is possible to have drank that many years and still be alright? I feel like the tests had to have been wrong or something.
Old 11-11-2011, 08:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome, kelsey!

It's absolutely never too late OR too early to get sober! I'm glad you're reaching out for support here - it's so hard to do this on our own......

Congrats on making a great decision. Keep reading/posting!
Old 11-11-2011, 08:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kelsey123 View Post
Thanks, yeah, I can't handle this worrying about it anymore. I'm done. I guess I just need reassurance that it is possible to have drank that many years and still be alright? I feel like the tests had to have been wrong or something.
Kelsey, it is totally possible to have drank that much and still be alright. The human body is an amazingly resilient thing.
Old 11-11-2011, 08:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you guys so much. I'm also really looking forward to my eyes not being constantly bloodshot anymore!
Old 11-11-2011, 08:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

kelsey, for what it's worth I drank from my 20's to my 50's. In the end I was drinking vodka all day & night (to avoid the shakes). Yet I don't have any problems as a result. Hard to believe! SO, I don't think you should worry about it being too late.

Glad you saw the light and are healing.
Old 11-11-2011, 09:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Nope, never too late! Welcome to SR!
Old 11-11-2011, 09:48 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
LIVING SOBER

Let me figure this out.
I'm over 58 years old (twice your age) and drink hard for 45 years.
My doctor says I have the body of a 58 year old man, whenever that is.
He recommended that I quit drinking, but there was nothing to be alarmed about.
I did not ask him at what point would it have to get to that I need to be alarmed.
I decided to stop heading towards the cliff , put the brakes on, and turn around.
Now I don't have to deal day in and day out with the physical wreck
that I was turning myself into due to my drinking. (go figure)

It's never too late to stop, unless you're dead!

Old 11-11-2011, 11:24 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I drank for 20 years and quit at 40 - it's definitely not too late for you

Get a second opinion on your health to set your mind at ease and knock the drinking on the head...you'll find a lot of support here

welcome to SR
D
Old 11-11-2011, 11:27 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Non-Zoroastrian

17 days sober after 15 years of progressively worsening alcoholism. Yes, the same thoughts have pervaded my mis-wired brain but the worse that could happen by quitting now is that I don't kill myself any more than I all ready have. I come from a long line of alcoholics and to the best of my knowledge, no one in the clan has ever killed themselves from drinking, instead living to ripe old ages and dying from normal stuff. Fear is what has motivated me this time, fear of being the first in the family to NOT die from old age (how embarrassing should that happen!!!) Stop worrying and start living... I know, easier said than done but so far such an attitude is working for me and I'm sure it can work for you. Good luck!
Old 11-12-2011, 01:19 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Never too late to quit drinking. Glad you're stopping while you're still young.
Old 11-12-2011, 02:24 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'm glad you are quitting! Now is the time, no matter your age.

My brothers both died of alcoholic cirrhosis, and what I can tell you about their physical condition is that it came on quite suddenly after years of heavy drinking, and them believing they were not being affected. They seemed healthy right up until 2 years before they died.

I was looking at pictures the other day and could not believe the dates on the backs; brothers both looked so good. Then kaboom one day: skin yellowing, belly ascesis, sores on the legs, neuropathy, impaired mobility, personality changes like you would not believe from the toxicity, and eventual death. I'm sure it varies a lot from person to person.

I think sometimes the liver, kidneys, heart etc. put up a valiant struggle and then just have had enough.

So: best wishes on your journey back to sanity and health!!!
Old 11-12-2011, 02:40 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I sponsor a guy who sobered up at 65, 14 years ago. He's able to be a force for good and a great example to his great-grandkids.

He'd slipped around AA for 14 years before doing the steps, so I guess cutting that lag time down might be a good thing for you. No sense in screwing around and suffering until you're 43 to do them.
Old 11-12-2011, 06:57 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I think genetically it is different for everyone. You may not be causing fatal damage (yet), but you know you're not doing your body any favors by drinking.

My case -- I'd been a heavy drinker for 10+ years. Two years ago, my blood tests came back normal for liver function, etc. too. I used that as an excuse to keep drinking! I hope you will take your signs of health and do the OPPOSITE, that is, stop drinking and preserve/care for your body.

My aunt (dad's sister) died of alcoholic cirrhosis. She was a beautiful woman, and then she became this sickly, yellow, grotesquely bloated person for a few years before she died. She really "only" drank heavily for about 15 years.
Old 11-12-2011, 08:03 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

Originally Posted by kelsey123 View Post
8 years is a lot of drinking. I am quitting now but should I even bother or is it too late?
Your liver panels are fine, yet you wonder if you should bother quitting because it's "too late"?

Listen to yourself! That makes no sense!
Old 11-12-2011, 08:44 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dawnrunner View Post
I'm glad you are quitting! Now is the time, no matter your age.

My brothers both died of alcoholic cirrhosis, and what I can tell you about their physical condition is that it came on quite suddenly after years of heavy drinking, and them believing they were not being affected. They seemed healthy right up until 2 years before they died.

I was looking at pictures the other day and could not believe the dates on the backs; brothers both looked so good. Then kaboom one day: skin yellowing, belly ascesis, sores on the legs, neuropathy, impaired mobility, personality changes like you would not believe from the toxicity, and eventual death. I'm sure it varies a lot from person to person.

I think sometimes the liver, kidneys, heart etc. put up a valiant struggle and then just have had enough.

So: best wishes on your journey back to sanity and health!!!
I am so sorry to hear about your brothers. And this is terrifying to me....now I REALLY feel like I am going to wake up tomorrow all yellow and dying So they were fine and then just not? Bloodwork was totally fine as well and then they just crashed and died?? Never ever saw it coming at all? OMG **FREAKING OUT**
Old 11-12-2011, 08:54 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
not little, a stranger no more

Hi Kelsey, welcome to the forum!
It's definitely not too late to stop. I quit shortly before my 29th birthday and I had been binge drinking for most of my late teens and during my twenties, and it got worse over time. In the last year of my drinking career I was blackout drunk every other day of the week. You can do this, and the sooner you stop the better fo your physical and mental health. I think it's great that you realized that you need to do something about your drinking, and it is really never too late or too soon to quit.
Old 11-12-2011, 09:04 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I drank for 30+ years. My main regret is not quitting a loooong time ago.

I think I read this on here,it is something I remembered.
The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The next best time is today.
Fred