Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

ALCOHOLISM: Tomorrow I will give up drinking, and I will follow my progress HERE

Notices

ALCOHOLISM: Tomorrow I will give up drinking, and I will follow my progress HERE

Old 11-11-2011, 12:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I admit I am a little tipsy. But starting tomorrow, every single time I feel compelled to drink I will come here and try and rationalize with myself why I should not drink. This is an open forum for fellow drinker's as well. However for Me, it will act as a sort of log. A log of PROGRESS. Because I believe that is what we are each trying to make.
Old 11-11-2011, 01:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I look forward to reading of your progress Tyler

My advice is to try and avoid the 'last hurrah' tho - whenever I did that, I'd invariably make myself too sick, and then just want to drink the next day to get over feeling 'bad'.

D
Old 11-11-2011, 01:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
instant

sounds like a plan !! well done
Old 11-11-2011, 01:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I look forward to reading of your progress Tyler

My advice is to try and avoid the 'last hurrah' tho - whenever I did that, I'd invariably make myself too sick, and then just want to drink the next day to get over feeling 'bad'.

D
Haha! I think I know that feeling all too well!
Old 11-13-2011, 03:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Mind if I join you?

Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
I admit I am a little tipsy. But starting tomorrow, every single time I feel compelled to drink I will come here and try and rationalize with myself why I should not drink. This is an open forum for fellow drinker's as well. However for Me, it will act as a sort of log. A log of PROGRESS. Because I believe that is what we are each trying to make.
I don't want to drink anymore. Mind if I join you? I have quit twice before with success. Why I decided to pick up the demon alcohol again, I have no idea. I only know I don't want to spend my money or time this way anymore, and I have family coming in from out of town who I would prefer not to know about my "little habit". My little habit is anywhere from 2-3 bottles of wine to a case of Guinness or BudLight a day. Why I do this to myself, I do not know. It's like some weird form of self-deception and/or self-sabotage. Either that, or suicide on the installment plan.

Last time, I weaned myself off of three bottles of wine a day 2 TBSP at a time. Worked nicely for me. I drink mostly out of boredom or to numb the pain in my life, both physical and mental. Ironically, most (if not all) of my physical pains are the result of a head-on collision with a drunk driver.

Last time, I lived off Pedialyte, Essiac tea, coffee, Ezekial toast and fresh juices. Every time I would crave a drink, I would make myself drink a glass of fresh juice first. By the time I had 1) walked to the store to buy the fruit or veggies, 2) washed the produce, 3) set up the juicer, 4) juiced everything, 5) drank it, and 6) cleaned all the juicer parts, I had little to no desire for a drink. I also learned that V8 warmed up makes a really tasty tomato soup.

I am stocked up on Pedialyte, liquid vitamin B [easier to absorb with a compromised system], Emergen-C and supplements (like Alpha Lipoic Acid) from Trader Joe's. Burnt toast, bouillon or baby food w/ a little salt and pepper are pretty easy to hold down even on the worst of days. I found lots of water w/ a pinch of salt (per watercure2.org) and a squeeze of lemon, cocoa or green tea to drink satisfy those "sipping urges". If I get through this in one piece again, I will NEVER drink again. It's just not worth it.

Or as some wise person once said, "the high isn't worth the crash". I plan on checking in at least once a day. I have someone here with me in case it gets dangerous, and I have Valium— which I would really prefer not to use if possible. Thanks for listening while I talked myself into quitting this disgusting, life-warping habit once and for all. Today is Day #1 for me, not quitting cold turkey, but just tapering. Journaling is a tremendous help as well for some. I am one of them.

Thank you for being there. It means a lot. BTW, I found this site via a friend who weened herself off anti-depressants and a family member who did likewise. Great site!!
Old 11-13-2011, 03:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Remember what Einstein said (besides E=MC2). He said that to do the same thing over and over, but expecting different results is the definition of insanity (I am paraphrasing). Also you are drunk while you wrote this post (your own admission).

So, how about you reaffirm this when sober? How about you seek real help with your problem, change things to improve your odds of success. Have you tried Rehab? Have you tried AA?

You can do this, you can. But you need a plan, just like if you were planning to save your life from a deadly disease, because that's what you have and that is exactly what you are doing.

I really hope the best for you, I do. I know the burden this disease is because I have been there.

Please think about this and come back.
Old 11-13-2011, 04:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharing your plan sounds like an awesome idea! My son told me he is planning to go to AA meeting on 11/15/11. I pray he has a life changing experience , I am so saddened by his addition. I wish you the best.
Old 11-13-2011, 04:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I like what jeff63 said about doing the same thing over and over then expecting different results , its insanity ,life will be better only when you change your life
Old 11-13-2011, 07:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR CalicoCate & Turtledove

Looks like you've started something here - how about a check in Tyler?

D
Old 11-14-2011, 07:06 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Today's Muse

How you doing Tyler?