Notices

old attempts to cure alcoholism

Old 11-03-2011, 08:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

old attempts to cure alcoholism

In 1622 the owners of the Virginia Company whined that rum was ruining the chances for their settlement. Their attempt to rule it out of existence failed.

In 1785 one of the signitors of the Declaration of Independence, Benjamin Rush wrote the only cure for those who went overboard was complete avoidance. To 'taste not, handle not'.

He wrote that people should just decide not to drink and thereafter never drink again, solving the problem because for them to do so evidenced a weak moral character and lack of commitment to one's health and any civilized ethical standards.

By deciding firmly and with ironclad resolve the problem was thereafter solved, except for the total degenerates who would choose to deceive others and sully their characters further.

Those who are so corrupt to go back on their word and promise are apt to do so repeatedly, and any further commitments from the morally reprehensible who break their vow of abstinence should be dismissed immediately as further falsehoods.

Looking at alcoholism simply as a choice places the responsibility for not drinking directly on the alcoholic to carry through on their decision and commitment to abstain. The shame of failure is enough to keep all but the most morally lax upright in their actions.

Glad that things have generally progressed from those old dark ages of considering addition a failing of strong will and personal choice, though here and there even today one can still find echos of that foolishness.

Most recently 'I cured alcoholism. Right now. With my mind. I blinked and cured my brain.'