Notices

How Long

Old 10-31-2011, 04:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How Long

For those of you that have been clean from drink for a good amount of time (several months/years), I have a question. How long before you can return to normal social drinking?
Old 10-31-2011, 04:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Wow. How long have you got...?
Old 10-31-2011, 04:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Ok, seriously, if you're talking about alcoholism, it's a very serious condition, an addiction and a mental and biological propensity towards addiction, you're pretty much stuck with it your whole life and you have to manage it through permanent abstinence. If you're just talking about problem drinking which, in my view, is where one's habit of drinking causes problems (and can easily be mistaken for alcoholism) then perhaps 'normal drinking' can be resumed when one has dealt with the problems and behaviour that was underlying the drinking.

I've got one year sober. As much as I 'think' I'd like to return to normal drinking, I have had to accept that I am an alcoholic and therefore can never drink safely (i.e. without becoming addicted immediately and re-entering the world of pain I escaped from a year ago).

What's your story, buddy?
Old 10-31-2011, 04:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm an alcoholic. I will never be able to drink socially again. For me to have another drink is to begin another long descent into depression, blackouts and trouble with the law. No, no, no no. I have worked too hard to get to this point to ever go back.
Old 10-31-2011, 05:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome legalage.

I don't know your story, but I'm afraid I don't believe we can reset ourselves like that...not if you're an alcoholic like me.

Based on my experience, if you drink like I did, you cross a line and you can never get back over it. I tried, believe me.

Alcohol and I settled into a toxic relationship. I don;t believe I can undo that - and part of my stopping drinking was accepting that.

No matter how much time passes between drinks, I know the outcome will be the same for me because I've tested it time and time again over 20 years.
Old 10-31-2011, 05:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yeah, alcoholics cannot drink socially or any way at all, for that matter.

Believe me, if we could reset ourselves and start over, we would.

When you cross the invisible line, there is no going back.
Old 10-31-2011, 05:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have been sober for 16 months after years of daily drinking. I know that one drink .. one tiny little hint of a buzz .. will take me right back to that dark place .. and it will happen quickly, as if those 16 months never happened. I don't know the answer to your question.. but I can say for certain that, for me, "when" is "never". It has to be never.
Old 10-31-2011, 05:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I'm sure it's not what you're hoping to hear, legalage - but the answer is an emphatic, "never".
Old 10-31-2011, 05:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

The fantasy of pretty much every alcoholic is that they will eventually be able to get their drinking "under control" and return to "normal drinking." Letting go of that fantasy is part of recovery.

GG
Old 10-31-2011, 06:10 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by legalage View Post
For those of you that have been clean from drink for a good amount of time (several months/years), I have a question. How long before you can return to normal social drinking?
It takes at least 326 years.

Old 10-31-2011, 06:11 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TwelveSteps View Post
The fantasy of pretty much every alcoholic is that they will eventually be able to get their drinking "under control" and return to "normal drinking." Letting go of that fantasy is part of recovery.

GG
And letting go of that fantasy creates the reality of a lot more bucks in my pocket. Oh and I can tell if people are genuine with me or not. Oh and I'm not afraid of losing my job over a hangover because I don't get them. Oh and I have a lot of free time to do projects or relax. Oh and I have a reason to smile everyday now. Oh and ...

Old 10-31-2011, 06:43 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

LOL, you can't return to what you never started. That's a truism I wasn't prepared to face at first, but now that I am approaching two years sobriety I would ask a different question: why would I want to try, if there was even a remote chance it would bring me back to my knees again (or worse)?

No thanks, Legal. Not even mildly interested...
Old 10-31-2011, 06:55 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I know someone who just relapsed (after 7 years) and thinks she can control it--still working and what not and it's been about 2 months since she started. Of course I hope she stops before it gets bad and if not, I hope she can control it. However every alcoholic I know that relapsed eventually slips back to their old ways within less than a year...does anyone agree with that time frame?
Old 10-31-2011, 07:03 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I've heard it said many times that if you are an alcoholic and start drinking again you quickly end up where you left off. The thing is that it is also progressive which means you will quickly surpass the toll it took on you before and the quantity will escalate. You might be ok the first couple times but inevitably the time will come when alcoholism hits back and hits HARD

I've been sober since August, 2004. I was very sick from the drinking and getting sober was the hardest thing I have ever endured. I have no desire to EVER go back to that hell again. No drink is worth it.

As people have said already, if you are an alcoholic then there is no returning to controlled drinking. There is a saying about controlled drinking and alcoholics. "When I enjoyed my drinking I couldn't control it and when I controlled my drinking I couldn't enjoy it." Sums it up well.

Take care,
Kellye
Old 10-31-2011, 07:09 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Sober...Finally.

Never. Ever.
Old 10-31-2011, 07:10 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Gratefully Sober

I can never return to normal social drinking. I am an alcoholic.when I take any alcohol into my body I lose all control of my drinking. I have crossed the line into alcoholism and can never cross back again.
Old 10-31-2011, 07:14 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Gratefully Sober

Originally Posted by binderdonedat View Post
It takes at least 326 years.

LOL!!
Old 10-31-2011, 07:16 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Gratefully Sober

Originally Posted by quitforme79 View Post
I know someone who just relapsed (after 7 years) and thinks she can control it--still working and what not and it's been about 2 months since she started. Of course I hope she stops before it gets bad and if not, I hope she can control it. However every alcoholic I know that relapsed eventually slips back to their old ways within less than a year...does anyone agree with that time frame?
Every time I have tried to control it,I have slipped back into my old ways immediately.
Old 11-01-2011, 12:16 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Would love to help but I don't know what 'normal social drinking' is.
Old 11-01-2011, 02:07 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Baby Girl D

If you stopped drinkin for a period of time and stayed sober you seriously don't wanna "have a social drink" because that's the beginnin of goin back to bein an alcoholic ...

Believe me I've been there ... I did 5 days sober n guess what I had a drink biggest mistake of my life now I'm scared if I can't stop