Notices

Withdrawals just get worse and worse

Old 10-30-2011, 10:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Withdrawals just get worse and worse

Every time I have another binge, the withdrawals just come faster and harder. I think the anxiety is the worse symptom, along with that just sense of fear. Then I start getting shakes and my brain goes into like a fog. I have trouble doing normal tasks like typing or using a phone. Insane fatigue, I can't even get off the couch. No appetite whatsoever.

It also doesn't help that I'm currently unemployed and have been barely dodging eviction from my apartment. Mom won't let me move back in.

Feels bad man.
Old 10-30-2011, 10:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lowtek View Post
Every time I have another binge, the withdrawals just come faster and harder. I think the anxiety is the worse symptom, along with that just sense of fear. Then I start getting shakes and my brain goes into like a fog. I have trouble doing normal tasks like typing or using a phone. Insane fatigue, I can't even get off the couch. No appetite whatsoever.

It also doesn't help that I'm currently unemployed and have been barely dodging eviction from my apartment. Mom won't let me move back in.

Feels bad man.
If you keep drinking the withdrawals will get worse and worse with time. My anxiety was through the roof! Hopefully I will never drink again. I use my fear of withdrawal to motivate me from picking up the first drink.

You really can quit drinking. I am living proof.

I can feel the pain you are in. Just reading your post reminded me of the last few months I drank. Absolutely terrifying. Best of luck to you.
Old 10-30-2011, 11:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

It is progressive getting worse, never better.

If you are 'ready' to live a life of sobriety, you can contact the Salvation Army, as they have a FANTASTIC long term recovery rehab, that is 'live in' and FREE.

Welcome to sobriety!!!!????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!

Love and hugs,
Old 10-30-2011, 11:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

yes, unfortunately, it is very much progressive and it absolutely always gets worse.
for years I thought that if I had a few months/days/minutes(lol) of sobriety under my belt, this meant that the score was reset and I could drink again without having to go through all circles of hell, again.
nah.
what I perceived as hell in the middle stages of my drinking career, not to mention the beginning stage when I still had hangovers, not withdrawal...well, all of this looked like a picnic compared to what I experienced after my last relapse.
it's good to know that I don't have to go through it again.
you can also make sure you don't go through withdrawal ever, ever again by embracing sobriety and working on your recovery. one day, one SECOND at a time
Old 10-30-2011, 11:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I just mentioned in my post the AWFUL feeling I had for 9 days after I drank on my birthday after 2 years of sobriety....It felt like I had the flu...but WORSE....it was TOXIC! just bloody awful!! makes me sick just thinking about it!! I choose TODAY to be sober!! and be GRATEFUL that I am!!
Old 10-30-2011, 11:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

My last relapse was after almost six months sober. I only drank for two days but was sicker than I'd ever been, thought I was going to die - actually wanted to die to just get it over with. The fact that w/d gets worse each time is a term called 'kindling'. Like the bad effects of drinking multiply each time you go back out.

http://pubs.niaaa.nih.gov/publicatio...22-1/25-34.pdf
Old 10-30-2011, 11:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Least//great article..
I only drank for one night..and it was by FAR the worst I have EVER felt! for 9 days!!!even more so than when I was actively drinking!!!
Old 10-30-2011, 11:42 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Only you can do it but you can't do it alone.
Old 10-30-2011, 11:48 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I've actually tried to quit. I've been in rehab 4 times. Had a really bad experience in one of them. My insurance has run out so I can't go back to the one in my city. I'm seriously considering admitting myself to the ER just so I can get some kind of medication that well lesson withdrawals. Like Valium or something.
Old 10-30-2011, 12:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Do seek medical attention if you can. The first week is utter hell. I remember the fear and anxiety the most. The reason for it is that your CNS has been depressed for so long that it is now overcompensating. this causes extreme anxiety and sometimes DTs which can lead to death.

Please try and see a doctor soon.
Old 10-30-2011, 12:30 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I experienced this with my last relapse. It's truly scary how this disease progresses. It does feel bad. Seek medical advice if you need, and try to treat yourself well while your body works on healing itself and getting back into equilibrium without the chemicals.
Old 10-30-2011, 12:31 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by lowtek View Post
I've actually tried to quit. I've been in rehab 4 times. Had a really bad experience in one of them. My insurance has run out so I can't go back to the one in my city. I'm seriously considering admitting myself to the ER just so I can get some kind of medication that well lesson withdrawals. Like Valium or something.
sure hope you go lowtek... wishing you the best.
Old 10-30-2011, 02:22 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR

Lauries suggestion of the Salvation Army sounds like a good option for you right now lowtek - I hope you'll follow it up...but if not that, at least go to the ER.

Detox is nothing to mess with.

D
Old 10-31-2011, 07:52 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Lowtek, I'm right there with you. I can remember when a heavy night of drinking amounted only to a headache. My drinking escalated to the point, if I go out drinking, I go on a bender, everytime, period. The last one lasted a week... Instead of hangover, we suffer from withdrawals now. Besides from not being able to eat for several days, my hands will shake so badly I won't be able to type or talk on a phone or pick up a pen and write a sentence. The anxiety will be so crippling I won't even be able to fork over money to a clerk for a pack of smokes, IF I leave the house the first 48 hours. Insomnia for up to a week, fear/humiliation/despair, etc, etc. It only gets worse. For me its a wonderfull incentive to quit for good. As alcoholics, we tend to forget the absurdities of a week or two ago and repeat our insanity. But once it gets horrific enough, you won't be able to put it behind you anymore. I'm only 29 and if I drink again I'll be hospitalized/institutionalized. Good luck to you, bro.
Old 10-31-2011, 06:15 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

The mental effects of anxiety were the worst when I detoxed. I would have severe panic attacks and sometimes I just chose to pick up the bottle again and try to detox another day.
Old 10-31-2011, 06:24 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Wink

Originally Posted by GregMan View Post
Lowtek, I'm right there with you. I can remember when a heavy night of drinking amounted only to a headache. My drinking escalated to the point, if I go out drinking, I go on a bender, everytime, period. The last one lasted a week... Instead of hangover, we suffer from withdrawals now. Besides from not being able to eat for several days, my hands will shake so badly I won't be able to type or talk on a phone or pick up a pen and write a sentence. The anxiety will be so crippling I won't even be able to fork over money to a clerk for a pack of smokes, IF I leave the house the first 48 hours. Insomnia for up to a week, fear/humiliation/despair, etc, etc. It only gets worse. For me its a wonderfull incentive to quit for good. As alcoholics, we tend to forget the absurdities of a week or two ago and repeat our insanity. But once it gets horrific enough, you won't be able to put it behind you anymore. I'm only 29 and if I drink again I'll be hospitalized/institutionalized. Good luck to you, bro.
welcome,GregMan! that post sure sounds a LOT like someone else i know!