Notices

Finally joined

Old 10-29-2011, 09:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Finally joined

I've been reading here for a while now, as I KNOW I have a problem.

I had been drinking rum for about 15 years. Almost everyday. At home by myself. Then I would go to bed. Last few weeks, it escalated. A fifth a day for the last few weeks. Before that, a fifth would last 4-5 days. And single-serving size I called them. A handle was for week-ends. A week ago, I came-to at my computer and realized I had to be at work in 90 minutes, but I had no memory of the last ~30 hours. I quick ran out to the garage and checked my car. OK. Checked the 'fridge, and saw I had finished a handle and had cooked dinner. I had even put the leftovers away, and filled the kitchen sink to cover the plate and pots. And I had ZERO memory of any of it.

Baffled, I jumped into the shower and got ready for work. I was scared- I could have gone driving, burned the house down, or flooded myself out. Someone could have died.

I started reading. And saw where I was heading. I was already shaking on a daily basis, sweating for no cause. Stomach issues with swelling on both my left and right sides under my ribs. Back pain at my belt line. Headaches and even blurry vision at times. And I still bought 2 fifths after reading here.

Just like smoking, I picked a day. When I woke up last Wednesday morning, I took a shower, got dressed, and threw out by usual glassware. Made breakfast and started drinking water. One pint/hour. Took my vitamins too. And laid down.

My stomach was a mess. My head felt like I had been struck. And the mind games. But every program change, I force another glass of water. And laid back down. I did not answer the phone or email. I did not want to be seen like this. Next day, other than the pain under my ribs and back, I felt much better. Today, my hands are a little shaky, but I have no rib pain or back pain.

3 day in so far. More to come.
Old 10-29-2011, 09:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Poison Eater Extraordinaire

Hang in there.

I used to get rib pain too, especially when bending over to tie my shoe or something. I think it was actually my muscles seizing up.

Yes, can relate to how scary those huge blocks of missing time are.
Old 10-29-2011, 09:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Rummy

Good to have you with us
I always recommend folks see a Dr - just to be sure.

Detox can sometimes be no picnic.
D
Old 10-29-2011, 09:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks all!
Old 10-29-2011, 09:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Congratulations on getting sober, Rummy! It took me some time to get up the nerve to post here, as I knew it was going to mean the end of my drinking. It was long overdue, though and I'm so glad I found this place and got alcohol out of my life. I know you'll be glad, too.

You can do this!
Old 10-29-2011, 10:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank-you artsoul. I too thought twice about joining to post, but maybe I might be able to help. I think I'll be fine. I have too much I want to do in my life yet. And no room for rum.
Old 10-29-2011, 10:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

Have you seen a doctor?
Old 10-29-2011, 10:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Welcome and congrats on making a decision that will make you much happier in the long run.
Old 10-29-2011, 10:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone! And I haven't seen a Doctor in years. I need to work out some trust/other issues first.
Old 10-30-2011, 12:26 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rummy View Post
... I haven't seen a Doctor in years. I need to work out some trust/other issues first.
I felt the same way, until at one point I had no choice and was taken to the ER - about to die. So many times previous to that I toughed it out and had no idea how much risk I put myself in by doing so. What I noticed at my first detox in the hospital (once I was stabilized)? The medical folks can really ease the pain and suffering. It need not be a week or so of absolute hell on earth. I realized then that it wasn't about my ill feelings towards doctors, but allowing that they can rehydrate me better than I can, while keeping my blood pressure from causing strokes and heart attacks, and they really do have the tools to ease some of the more horrid withdrawal symptoms (like nausea, the shakes, anxiety, insomnia, e.t.c...) Bottom line is you needn't suffer half as much as you think.

However you end up pulling it off Rummy, it's a good thing that you shut your phone off and ignored emails, e.t.c... I found that those times I tried to quit while simultaneously negotiating 'life' business as usual... well it never really ended well for me. Had to eventually sit back, shut off the world, and ride out the storm - keeping life at arms length - at least long enough to get my bearings back. Not sure if that is the proper advice for some, but for me, taking the time to shut off outside noise gave me a buffer zone, some time to strengthen my resolve that I was truly done with booze and the hell it had given me.

Also, don't take this as medical advice please, but if you must continue detoxing on your own grab heaps upon heaps of Gatorade and pound it back like water. You said you're taking vitamins, that's good. Get an added B complex + B12 if you haven't already. I also took milk thistle and fish oil on advice of another alkie I knew, which seemed to lessen the severity of some symptoms later on. Melatonin can help with insomnia from what I've heard, although I have never personally tried it. Again, not a doctor, and these things are not a suitable replacement for one.

Congrats on joining. Use this site Rummy. Post about anything, and read about everything. It's worth it's weight in gold to your sobriety.
Old 10-30-2011, 12:49 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks binderdonedat for your time! I had not thought of this as a multi-day detox. Maybe I should have. I only drink water and coffee. And Diet Pepsi. I just put my morning pot on now, before I go out to shovel the 6" of wet heavy snow from my 2 car driveway and 220' of sidewalks! Leaving for work at 6AM and haven't slept today. My sleep clock/rhythm is out of kilter from resting during the day. I was up till 9AM yesterday and slept till 4PM. Soundly. I can sleep at work.
Old 10-30-2011, 01:22 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rummy View Post
Thanks binderdonedat for your time! I had not thought of this as a multi-day detox. Maybe I should have. I only drink water and coffee. And Diet Pepsi. I just put my morning pot on now, before I go out to shovel the 6" of wet heavy snow from my 2 car driveway and 220' of sidewalks! Leaving for work at 6AM and haven't slept today. My sleep clock/rhythm is out of kilter from resting during the day. I was up till 9AM yesterday and slept till 4PM. Soundly. I can sleep at work.
Name's Peter

I have no idea the extent of your issue with alcohol aside from you mentioning a 15 year 'career', not sure of your age, e.t.c... but allow me to just warn you and please take this seriously.... detoxing causes an elevated heart rate/ high blood pressure. Adding strenuous exercise (shoveling snow!!) can really put a strain on your insides amigo. If I were in your shoes I'd pay some neighborhood kid to do that right now. Otherwise, make snowshoes. Hell, there's cats out there dropping dead shoveling snow who have never touched a drop of booze. Add withdrawal to that and you may be looking at a lit match very close to a gas tank. Just sayin'.

BTW, it's snowing back home already!!? Damn!!
Old 10-30-2011, 01:32 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks Peter, and I do mean thanks! I have to do it before I go to work. I won't get back here till Monday morning-at the earliest. It is still too early to fire up the snowblower and the town will fine my azz for not clearing everything within 24hrs. And they have people out there looking. Free money I guess. My heart rate is ok. Different story 2 days ago. I thought it was going to bound right out of my chest!!

Pulse rate 82. BP 130/82. Age 48. And I have a very physical job sometimes. Not bad for a former Rummy on Day 4 of my new life.
Old 10-30-2011, 01:34 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

And snow from Philadelphia through Maine.
Old 10-30-2011, 06:20 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!
Old 10-30-2011, 06:22 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family.
Old 10-30-2011, 06:35 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

to SR.
Old 10-30-2011, 06:41 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
MIND OF DESTRUCTIVE TASTE

Welcome to SR and congrats on your Day 4 We haven't got snow here but it is only a matter of time. So glad that you joined us here, it's a wonderful community!

-Jess
Old 10-30-2011, 08:01 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Poison Eater Extraordinaire

OMG, I can't ever drink coffee the first week of a detox. Seriously, if you don't want to go to a doctor (I never did either for detox, excepting rehabs - but it is still dangerous) then probably drinking something with electrolytes like Gatoraide could be helpful and getting some Potassium in you too (bananas are good) might be a good idea. I like Fish Oil and Milk Thistle as well (took them when drinking too), and also a multi.
Old 10-30-2011, 09:32 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hi Rummy and welcome!

I was a 5th a day person too. Just passed my 60 day mark last week. Happy to have you here!

Hope all went well with the snow removal. That was a nasty system. Actually took some effort (!) to push the ruler through it to the deck to see how much was there. Heavy, wet and compacted as all get out. Please check in and let us know you are ok.