Notices

Well that was bloody hard!

Old 10-29-2011, 04:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Well that was bloody hard!

Hi All,

Was day 6 today and just had one hell of a bumpy ride.

partner got a text message this morning from my dads missus, asking what we were doing this afternoon and whether it was possible to come down, partner asked me, and thinking nothing of it i said sure, whatever!

So 6 o'clock rolls around and my Dad and his partner turn up with playing cards, a box of wine and a box of stella! my heart started at the sight of it! what the hell was I thinking, or rather why the hell didn't I think! of course they were coming down for card night! (something we do once every couple of months), card night of course consists of drinking and a game of cards.

Straight out I said to my dad, I aint drinking, i told you on tuesday (my dads an alcoholic), he said that he 'thought you just ment a couple of days, not not drinking altogether', they asked if it was okay to stay, of course i couldn't say no, but i bloody well wanted to.

evening certainly wasn't fun for me, I'm still not sure how i managed it. I shut myself off from it i suppose, put my mind into the cards and tried to invent conversations that didn't involve alcohol (which they tend to when talking to my dad).

I'd been out and bought Kinect for the xbox this morning, and what a god send that was, I quickly got through a few games of cards, and suggested we should play Kinect instead. We did and dancing like Michael Jackson for 2 hours helped me block it out even more.

They got drunk of course, my partner, dad and his misssus and by the end of the evening the conversation started to get a little morbid (as it tends to when my dad drinks). we eventually got onto my sobriety and my dad clearly knows he has a problem, and in fact admitted he had and that he needed to go to the Dr's. Its odd that he thought it was some competition between us, 'My problem is much worse than yours' he says to me 'But im not an alcoholic! I dont drink 24/7'

I tried to explain that that was his perception of the word 'alcoholic' and that I was quite confortable in saying that I was one, I told him ultimately its his choice, not mine as to whether he gets sober (i truly hope one day he will, but i dont think its likely to happen any time soon)

They left at 11:30, and boy my head was pounding!

Im grateful that i managed it, grateful that I didn't take that drink, I swiftly removed any empty cans so I didn't need to look at them, and generally busied myself with something if I felt any urge. it was tough!

My partner invited them back down tomorrow (a little worse for wear) I just told him that it wasn't happening again any time soon, of which i will remind him in the morning.

needed to just talk about it, feeling worn out a bit, thanks for listening

AoS
Old 10-29-2011, 04:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
rode hard and put away wet

Wow! You did great! But I am glad you're choosing to take a break from this sort of thing.
Old 10-29-2011, 05:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

One thing I learned in early recovery is that everyone you have ever known will then ring you up to catch up and bring around some drinks lol.

It's best to be prepared

sounds pretty rough - I'm glad you stayed strong AoS

D
Old 10-29-2011, 10:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
~sb

alcoholics don't have to drink 24/7. Or wear trench coats.
Old 10-30-2011, 04:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
alcoholics don't have to drink 24/7. Or wear trench coats.

He will find his bottom eventually, I hold out hope that it will be soon

thanks for the support guys! I feel super chuffed about getting through last night, Its a great feeling (after the fact) to be the one in control.

AoS
Old 10-30-2011, 04:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Wow!!! You should be patting yourself on the back big time right now! I admire your strength...I know I will be in situations like that at some point and will have to get thru them. Keep at it and you will continue to feel better and stronger every day