Notices

Feeling like a drink, don't know why.

Old 10-29-2011, 03:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Feeling like a drink, don't know why.

I'm a few hours away from my 31st day of sobriety - the longest I have gone without drinking since I started drinking - and things have been going really well.

So why am I feeling like I really want to drink tonight?

I'm at home alone tonight, and leaving to go somewhere isn't an option. I chose to stay home for the most part because I'm not ready to start going to parties and such where drinking is planned.

I'd say on a scale of 1 (fine) to 10 (unable to resist) I'm at a level 3 or 4... Maybe 10% to 20% chance of drinking.

I'm going to find some soda/juice and make some food, but I haven't really felt like this since I quit.
Old 10-29-2011, 03:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

How about going to a movie? There are lots of places to go that don't involve drinking.
Old 10-29-2011, 04:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Tyl3r - The urge is probably there because (if you're like me) you celebrated events and milestones with drinking alcohol. Now since there is no longer alcohol involved, you'll find that drinking juice / water / soda instead will become a healthy habit for celebration.
Old 10-29-2011, 04:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober...Finally.

I hope it gets better for you tonight. Best Wishes.
Old 10-29-2011, 05:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The feeling seems to be passing. I think I needed to get some food and some distraction. The kitchen is cleaner and I've got some tea on. I'm in a better place and I'm close to calling this one a win.
Old 10-29-2011, 05:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

In my experience it took 90 days to loose the desire to drink... It helps to talk about it and it's normal that we want booze. We're alcoholics.
Old 10-29-2011, 06:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Eating a good meal often made my cravings go away. Also any time I had a craving to drink I'd ask myself two questions: one; would drinking make the situation better? and two; did I really want to feel like sh!t the next day? I never had to ask the second question cause I always knew that drinking would not make anything better, and in fact, would make it worse. And I was trying to avoid making my life any worse at the time...

With time the cravings will lessen. Being grateful also worked wonders for me in getting rid of any urges to drink.