Notices

Thinking about getting drunk this weekend

Old 10-26-2011, 09:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thinking about getting drunk this weekend

Going to try not to. It's going to be tough.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Do you have a game plan? Are you going to do anything different from prior weekends when you did drink?
Old 10-26-2011, 09:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by MrSilver View Post
If you do get drunk, I hope you get all the pleasure out of it without those pesky bad consequences. You never can tell ahead of time, though, so it might be a good idea to reflect on what usually happens.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Well ....................................... your choice. It won't change anything for the better.

Guess you need more convincing so ................................... have at it.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
lillyknitting

Thinking of drinking

If you are thinking of getting drunk this weekend, re-read your own message dated 9-18-2011. Just to say I also had that thought last night and am so grateful to be up early to read your post. God bless
Old 10-26-2011, 10:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

You were pretty solid a day or two back Mr Silver - whats happened to change your mind?

Re-reading old posts is a good idea - you've come a long way - do you really want to blow it now?

D
Old 10-26-2011, 10:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Hey there Mr Silver,

In my past experience, I allowed myself to relapse quite a while before I actually drank. I started to romanticize the idea in my head days in advance. I knew I wasn't supposed to drink but that just made it more alluring. I would play these terrible mental gymnastics where my alcoholic brain would say "well, you're going to drink again eventually anyways, so what's the point in putting it off?"

Not sure if any of this is sounds familiar. For myself, I was playing games with my recovery and eventually I had to get off that train and take sobriety seriously. Looking back, it was mentally and emotionally exhausting going through the revolving door of addiction. I'm now in a much better place and I've been sober for 6 months with no intentions of ever drinking again in my life.

What actions are you going to take to get yourself off the track you are on and get back on track with your sobriety? If the answer is you aren't going to do anything, then I don't think much of anything will save you from drinking in the long run.

Best wishes to you
Old 10-26-2011, 11:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Baby Girl D

Try not to give in to temptation - but it is upto you whether you want a drink but is it really worth it knowin you could be back to drinkin daily (that's if you did drink daily)

I know what its like I was like that last night to the point I bought beer and guess what I didn't touch it the thought of it made me sick and I made myself think of them horrible passed memories ... And now I'm so proud of myself because I didn't give into that temptation
Old 10-27-2011, 12:47 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

If you read the posts of others who ignored the posts of those who chose not to take in the posts of those who thought a few drinks were a good idea and dragged back in, then at least you know what to do after this weekend.
Old 10-27-2011, 01:11 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

If you missed the format, use this one...title your post something like 'Why did I do this', or 'I know now for sure'.

First, be completely surprised that you got so drunk after intending to drink under control. Then talk about the deep regret you are feeling. But call it a good thing because you now feel a deeper commitment to not drinking and will surely do better from here, relying on the encouragement of the great people on SR to see you through on your new and stronger decision.

Close with the standard warning that any others who might be considering trying more drinking that it is not good at all, does not work any more, and that they should learn from you.

Enjoy the weekend.
Old 10-27-2011, 03:40 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Lets try and stay on the side of positive useful feedback, guys.

In the initial post the OP has stated he's going to try not to drink....sounds like an idea worthy of support to me?

D
Old 10-27-2011, 04:17 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Stay strong silver, sending good thoughts your way

AoS
Old 10-27-2011, 04:42 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

Not to overstate the obvious, but you have to want to be sober more than you want to be drunk. How are you feeling today?
Old 10-27-2011, 05:07 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Good Morning Mr. Silver.....

The fact that you're posting your intention to get drunk this week end tells me that there is a part of you (the sane, wise part) that knows where that choice will lead and you're hoping that something, someone will stop you. If we are to get on the other side of this thing we have to believe in ourselves and our ability to make smart, helathy choices.

Do you believe in yourself Mr. Silver? Maybe you could spend the week end discovering more about yourself and strengthening your resolve to stay sober one day at a time. We can't have it both ways, we tried that......one thing always suffers, and it's not the drinking. It's our true selves....who we were meant to be is stuck inside, unable to move forward because we are paralized by fear......you deserve better than that....we all do.
Old 10-27-2011, 05:47 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

K, I decided not to drink. **** it.
Old 10-27-2011, 05:49 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
High on Life

This is probably one of those times that second thoughts are a good idea.
Old 10-27-2011, 05:54 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hang in there, Mr. Silver.
Everyone who has chosen to stop drinking has or had the same thought.
In time, hopefully you will prefer the worst days of sobriety to the best memories of drinking.

Good luck!
Old 10-27-2011, 06:11 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I only intended to drink one night this past weekend and ended up on a 3 day bender. Not worth it man, not worth it.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:15 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Well done.

Out of curiosity what made you consider drinking?? Was there an obvious trigger??
Old 10-27-2011, 06:34 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

What changed your mind?