Notices

Article on Alcoholic Types

Old 10-25-2011, 06:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Article on Alcoholic Types

Study Finds 5 Types Of Alcoholics - CBS News

Yep, I'm bored but here's a fun article! lol

An interesting but old-ish (2007) article about the age groups of alcoholics out there. Looks like I'm running in the majority...the young adult subtype/turning into the intermediate familial. Alcohol dependent by 20? You betcha. I'm 26, not 24, but ironically 24 was when I first realized I had a drinking problem and sought help for it.

And here all this time I thought the majority of alcohol dependents were middle aged.
Old 10-25-2011, 06:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Interesting article, but they failed to mention that alcoholism is progressive and without help, a person can pass through all of those stages. I call them stages because IMO, that's what they are. Regardless of what stage a person is in, dependence on alcohol is the key factor, and that only gets worse, never better, without help.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Well let's see.

Dr William Silkworth listed 4 types in his "Doctor's Opinion" in 1939 and 4 more types were listed in the first 164 pages of the BB of AA.

So they have 3 more to go, lol

J M H O

Love and hugs,
Old 10-26-2011, 01:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
TheMostSordidSpotOnEarth

Originally Posted by laurie6781 View Post
Well let's see.

Dr William Silkworth listed 4 types in his "Doctor's Opinion" in 1939 and 4 more types were listed in the first 164 pages of the BB of AA.

So they have 3 more to go, lol

J M H O

Love and hugs,
Just for the record, Dr. Silkworth refers to 5 types and "many others" in "The Doctor's Opinion:"

"The classification of alcoholics seems most difficult, and in much detail is outside the scope of this book. There are, of course, the psychopaths who are emotionally unstable. We are familiar with this type. They are always "going on the wagon for keeps." They are over-remorseful and make many resolutions, but never a decision.

There is the type of man who is unwilling to admit that he cannot take a drink. He plans various ways of drinking. He changes his brand or his environment. There is the type who always believes that after being entirely free from alcohol for a period of time he can take a drink without danger. There is the manic-depressive type, who is, perhaps the least understood by his friends, and about whom a whole chapter could be written.

Then there are types entirely normal in every respect except in the effect alcohol has upon them. They are often able, intelligent, friendly people.

All these, and many others, have one symptom in common: they cannot start drinking without developing the phenomenon of craving. This phenomenon, as we have suggested, may be the manifestation of an allergy which differentiates these people, and sets them apart as a distinct entity. It has never been, by any treatment with which we are familiar, permanently eradicated. The only relief we have to suggest is entire abstinence.

This immediately precipitates us into a seething caldron of debate. Much has been written pro and con, but among physicians, the general opinion seems to be that most chronic alcoholics are doomed.

What is the solution? ..."
They are all descriptions for one thing, the real alcoholic, which is explained as being distinct from the moderate drinker or the hard drinker in "There Is A Solution."

I assume the other four categories that were referred to above, as seen in the book, comes from "To Wives." It is a great chapter with some excellent descriptions; perhaps they might be referred to as a heavy drinker who may or may not progress to become alcoholic, a functional alcoholic, a non-functional alcoholic and an insane/end-stage alcoholic, or however you would prefer to describe them (if someone has better descriptions of these, I would love to hear it). However, there we are definitely seeing stages in the progression of the illness, before death.

Good book. Written in the 1930's, and I have still never seen anything remotely close to being as effective and accurate about the nature of the illness and, of course, blow-your-hair-back recovery from it.

Signed,

A Real Alcoholic

* BB quotes cited from the 1st Ed.

Last edited by Dee74; 10-26-2011 at 03:26 AM. Reason: sig
Old 10-27-2011, 02:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
~sb

All just drunks. I know many who knew by the age of 24, for the last 25 years now.