Notices

Panic attacks out of the blue.

Old 10-25-2011, 02:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Panic attacks out of the blue.

I am on my second attempt at getting sober, I am now on Day 39 sober.

For about two weeks I have felt more and more tired and as I was jogging I was constantly yawning and struggling for breath I put this down to weight loss (I have lost 28lbs) and my body just getting used to be alcohol free.

It came to a head about 10 days ago when I completely couldn't catch a breath, I had all the symptoms of Chronic hyperventalation syndrome and was constantly gasping for breath.

Obviously when you think you are constantly suffocating a degree of anxiety kicks in. This went on for about 5 days when one night I was so exhausted I went to bed early.

I was awakened by a full blown panic attack, My chest and then my whole left side felt like it had an elephant on it, I started losing my grip on reality and I truly thought I was dying. After attempting to stand up I felt as if my Psych was leaving my body and i collapsed.

Five minutes later I felt a tightness still in my chest but my breathing was back under control, My first instinct was to dial for an ambulance but as it went away so quickly i held off. I was petrified to go back to sleep so I researched it on the internet and saw it was most likely a panic attack.

For someone who has never had a panic attack I have to say it was the frightening experience of my life. I don't feel as if I have anxiety but I obviously do, I had another attack the same night, and have had about 3 a day for the last five days. They have gone down in intensity as I have a grip that I wont die as its just a panic attack but they are still absolutely horrific to deal with.

Its got to the stage where I dare not drive in case I have one whilst out on the road, They are so sudden and so completely overwhelming I just know it would be an instant wreck and I cannot take the risk. Ive already had 3 Panic attacks at work and its so embarassing. Everyone at work must think im on Meth.

I am not registered for a Doctors in my town although I have been here a year ive never got round to it, But I am going to some open clinic tommorow to hopefully get the process started to have some tests. I need to know that this is Panic Disorder and not Angina or something similar.

I guess my CNS is just completely shot. I read that it overcompensates all the years you are drinking, and when you suddenly stop its still acting as if you are drinking and as such you are highly strung out all the time. I feel fine mentally the only stress I have is wondering when the next panic attack is going to hit.

This is by far the worst symptom I have had from ceasing drinking, Im not even sure if they are 100% connected but in my mind they have to be its just strange how it waited 30 something days until it reared its ugly head.

:/
Old 10-25-2011, 02:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

It may or may not have anything to do with quitting drinking. I agree, get to a doctor and get it checked out.
Old 10-25-2011, 02:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're seeing a DR - let us know how you go Opeth

D
Old 10-25-2011, 02:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Reading this made me tense up. I've been where you are. I'm about 4 months sober of alcohol now, and I've had some bad panic attacks in the last 4 months. I think while I was a drinker I'd had one or two panic's and they freaked me out. When I got sober I started getting them at about the 10th day sober. It makes you feel detached, short of breath, numb, clammy, heart races, dizzy, etc. They've lightened up and gotten easier to handle the farther that I've gone. I get bad ones in the car. I'm trying to figure this out with out medicine. It's hard to get though. Best of luck to you.
Old 10-25-2011, 03:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bigguyslimm View Post
Reading this made me tense up. I've been where you are. I'm about 4 months sober of alcohol now, and I've had some bad panic attacks in the last 4 months. I think while I was a drinker I'd had one or two panic's and they freaked me out. When I got sober I started getting them at about the 10th day sober. It makes you feel detached, short of breath, numb, clammy, heart races, dizzy, etc. They've lightened up and gotten easier to handle the farther that I've gone. I get bad ones in the car. I'm trying to figure this out with out medicine. It's hard to get though. Best of luck to you.

I get the same thing especially in the car and its really scary then. I feel like I am floating and my car is going to spin out of control. The I want to pull over but can't and just want to get it over with and get to my destination. It really is a terrible feeling.
Old 10-25-2011, 04:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for the replies.

I will certainly post what the Doc had to say once i've been.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Well I had a new symptom today... hand spasms, certainly wasnt expecting that they both bunched into a fist unvoluntarily. It was like being possessed

The good news is ive seen a doctor and after being hooked up to a few monitors, my heartrate is fine, blood pressure normal and no signs of any breathing lung issues.

The doctor said he's 95% certain its because of Alcohol withdraw, He said it was as i expected and my CNS is shot to pieces and still overcompensating as if I was drinking 15 beers a night still.

I got a blood test next Wednesday to make sure its not cholesterol and if ive no improvement in 4 weeks he will look at getting me on Meds.

4 weeks seems a long time to just grin and bear it though, My quality of life is awful at the minute. Hopefully it might settle down.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:06 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Sally1009

Panic attacks are AWFUL, and really do make you feel like you are dying. The best way of treating them is by getting immediate control of your breathing. As we panic, our breathing rate gets faster, which sends signals to the brain to tense up, signals to the heart to beat faster, and simulataneously adrenaline and sugar flood the blood system. All this is our primitive response to danger, and we go into the 'fight or flight' mode.
The way out of this is to slow the breathing right down, and also to not breathe too deeply, as that can cause hyper-ventilation as well. It can take at least 10 minutes for the panicky feelings to go, but it does work.

The other thing to try is muscle relaxation. A method that helps me is called Differential Relaxation. Starting at the feet, you tense your muscles deliberately, holding for a few seconds, then letting go. Do this right through the body, right up to your neck and shoulders, and you will see how tensely you have been holding yourself.
When you are in a relaxed state, you cannot panic, as the body starts producing natural, calming chemicals.

I hope the above helps. It works for me. Good luck with your recovery, and well done.
Old 10-27-2011, 02:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Opeth,

Sorry to hear you're suffering panic attacks, I've had them for most of my life and know how horrible they are. I don't like taking meds so I've learned to get through them on my own. One technique my therapist walked me through was to ground myself, basically bringing up a really nice "safe" memory and walking yourself through it, sorta like if you're watching a screen playing it, sounds kinds funny but it worked for me.

Another one that helped me through some excruciating ones was to count down my level of panic on a piece of paper, I'd start at 10 - horrible panic I'm gonna die feeling - all the way down to 1, something about your mind seeing in on paper helps the panic subside.

Anyways, there's a few other things I have, even after months sober I sometimes get them but can work myself through them. Good luck on your journey!!
Old 10-27-2011, 10:22 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Hey Opeth - Love your screen name

Sorry you are going through this! I've only had one panic attack in my life and feel awful for people that get them regularly, as I can say without a doubt it was the scariest thing that's ever happened to me.

Whatever you do, don't drink. You'll just reverse any progress you've made thus far and likely have to go through worse symptoms next time you have withdrawals.

Stay well!
Old 10-28-2011, 03:57 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Well now ive realised its not my heart ive braved going jogging again for the first time in 12 days and even though I noticed my chest wall feeling really weird I carried on.

To still be able to go outside with these attacks is one thing and I dare not go into public at the minute,Its not that im feeling agrophobic its just i will die of embarresment if I get a bad attack in a shop. However ive really missed my exercise so it was an important step just to have a jog around the park which handily is on my doorstep.

Next step is braving the home gym, I havnt dared tried lifting anything again in case it comes on suddenly. Living in fear of it isn't helping im sure. Its taken my mind of drinking if nothing else positive.
Old 10-28-2011, 10:53 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm tagging this. I did blood tests and I was fine, despite my heavy drinking. I do suffer from GAD, although I'm hoping quitting alcohol can really help me.