Notices

3rd day without drink went to docs

Old 10-25-2011, 06:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Baby Girl D

Question 3rd day without drink went to docs

Hello everyone .. I went to doctors today they have give me more antidepressants and said I still have postnatal depression and that I need to start going out more instead of stayin in and constantly cleanin they think I will become house bound and will be to scared to go out.. My bf took me doctors coz I was determined not to go for all I know somethin could happen were as at home I'm safe
Old 10-25-2011, 11:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Hi Dawnie.

I had anxiety and depression when I was around your age, and my home was my castle... or my hovel anyway!

Are you able to see a counsellor or someone similar to discuss the issues? Are you developing agorophobia possibly? Maybe if you can start working on boundaries - eg, today you will go walk around the yard. Next week around the block. I would avoid all your usual drinking haunts, if that is what scares you about being outside, so maybe go to places where drinking would be socially unacceptable eg the library, or a dog park (not sure how you'd go with a bub at a dog park though).

Good luck
Old 10-26-2011, 12:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Baby Girl D

Hi FD...
The GP wants me to ring bout goin to a place called "mind" and they have also got counselling apparently it can help with my anxiety and depression.

What is agorophobia ?!

I can't go out alone I don't like it ... I'm scared of what will happen on the outside "someone might follow me and kill me"
Old 10-26-2011, 12:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you went to the Drs - it sounds like a good first step...and the counselling sounds great too

D
Old 10-26-2011, 01:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to day 3 Dawnie, I'm here with you Glad to hear you went to the docs, can be a really daunting process (i've found)

Originally Posted by dawnie24 View Post
Hi FD...
What is agorophobia ?!

I can't go out alone I don't like it ... I'm scared of what will happen on the outside "someone might follow me and kill me"
Agoraphobia means an irrational fear of crowded places/enclosed public places, though thats about all I know, You should certainly tell your doctor what you have told us here,

Stay Strong

AoS
Old 10-26-2011, 01:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Baby Girl D

Hi D, I couldn't of done it alone my bf practically told her everythin so I'm takin step at a time now
Old 10-26-2011, 02:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Baby Girl D

I don't like packed places or bein alone I can't win I am scared of walkin down the street on my own if I have my son with me (he's 5 months) its ok coz I feel stable to walk holdin on a buggy n I listen to music
I've explained to the doctor she didn't say nothin bout agoraphobia
Old 10-26-2011, 02:59 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
dude in recovery

I have agoraphobia and it can be the fear of leaving the home, although it is much more a fear of busy stores and market places, but you should write down exactly what is happening so you can read that out or give it to a doctor.
when I would 'have to' go to a big-box store I would cling to the walls and only go down an isle which I needed to get something on, then right back to the outer wall. My drinking made this much worse and it got to the point I could no longer drink to dull the anxiety. (I believe) It is our minds wanting more to do, if we don't give it something else to do, it will get stuck on irrational fears that 'could' happen in a worst case scenario (I use to believe I would be in the middle of a busy, big store and it would collapse, catch on fire, etc... crazy stuff that 'could' happen, although a HUGE long shot.)
I am getting better (without meds) little bit at a time. I have to test myself daily\hourly, remembering to breathe when the anxiety starts and having something to divert my mind to.

(Edit to add: I've had a hard time with sensory overload from noises and I try to keep my ear-buds handy to block that out.)
Old 10-26-2011, 03:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Baby Girl D

Did you ever have to the fear of goin on trains or buses and thought they were gonna crash I get that a lot motorways scare me trains and buses I always think the worse and it sets anxiety off I actually once was on a bus it was a long journey my eldest were still in nappies I was talkin to my sister we got quater the way there and went the bus is gonna crash I need to get off its gonna crash ppl looked at me strange and I went I'm gettin off and on the next stop I got off I ruined the day. Trains are worse for me tho soon as it sets off that's it anxiety
Old 10-26-2011, 04:55 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
dude in recovery

I have not been on a train, bus or plane in many years so I cannot say how good or bad my anxiety would be. I am sure I would be uncomfortable and (possibly) fighting the urge to get out of there. I am working a short-term job right now and I get mentally exhausted by quitting time (9 hours total) from fighting off the panic attacks.

I have been trying to kick the alcohol out of my life first, then see a doc about the panic problems, but I've really been pushing my limits... feels both good and bad.
You'll get a lot more replies in the 'anxiety' forum here on SR.