Notices

Sick of it...........

Old 10-22-2011, 06:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sick of it...........

Hi all. Yet again I find myself at day 1 of recovery. This is my 4th day 1 of the week.

I am 38 years old, started drinking at the age of 16 and had hardly one sober day until I was 36. I stopped drinking by going to AA and doing the 12 steps.

I stopped going to AA after about 20 months because I picked up another obsession (social online gaming) which quickly started to dominate my every waking moment. After about 9 or 10 months of ignoring my spiritual needs (no program or meetings) I picked up a drink..........just one time I said to myself.......... seems I forgot (or chose to ignore) everything I had learned about the nature of alcoholism. What happened next is pretty much described in the BB of AA. Needless to say that "just one time" turned into "I can't stop drinking."

It's back to the rooms of AA for me and this time nothing will come between me and the program.

Why do I find it so difficult to use the word God now?
Old 10-22-2011, 06:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

WoW? The crack-cocain of online gaming?

I'm sorry if feels like you're starting again, but remember - those 20 months haven't gone down the toilet, they weren't wasted. You're starting a "Day 1" of sobriety, but you already have heaps of strength and resolve waiting just under the surface. I am not familiar with AA, but you're obviously very aware of your triggers and why you started again. I hope this helps you to return to the natural state of sobriety.

Also, if you are still participating in MMORPGs you might find that they are actually AA guilds and what-not. Depending on your game though, I'm only familiar with WoW. No good if the gaming is dominating your life though... I once went on holiday and took my computer with me so I didn't miss a raid ><
Old 10-22-2011, 01:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Paraffin

D
Old 10-22-2011, 01:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Paraffin

D
Old 10-22-2011, 04:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Paraffin! Try not to feel bad and remember that all that time that you stayed sober still counts. As far as I'm concerned, every and any day that I don't drink counts for something. I'm also on day 1 again, slipped up last nite, but that doesn't mean that I'm going to let it deter me from moving forward. Do whatever you think you need to, to get back in the game. You can do it, it's already been proven :-)
Old 10-22-2011, 04:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sober...Finally.

Everything is eventual. You have been strong, and sometimes, a slip happens. Best wishes to your recovery. Good luck, Para, keep on keepin on!
Old 10-22-2011, 04:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to you, Paraffin!

No idea about why you can't say God. Are you religious? Maybe you are ashamed, who knows? It should not stop you from staying sober through AA and whatever God/Spirit/Higher Power you believe in.

Positive thoughts to you!
Old 10-22-2011, 04:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

a women in AA told me for her, god was "good orderly direction"..that really resonated with me as "secular" approach to the matter.
Old 10-22-2011, 04:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

I don't use AA, but I know that I have to work on my recovery every day.

I'm glad you found us!