Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Is this life just being life or is it really time to let this go

Notices

Old 10-21-2011, 12:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

So yesterday it was raining cats and dogs but I went out to deliver the newspapers anyway. But I ran out of cellophane sleeves to cover the newspapers so I gave up halfway through because they were turning to mush even though I was bagging them inside the car.

So today, I started off with half a route left over from yesterday plus today's papers which have the Thursday bulk discounts. I wasn't able to finish prepping the whole run at the same time, so I actually started delivering at 6:30p.m and got done at 11p.m. It was dark of course by that time so I parked my car in the drive way and illuminated it with my headlights. (I did this last week which probably explains what happened).

Seriously, just as I was rolling the last batch of papers, the lights started to dim. So I turned off the lights and finished up in the dark. There is no bulb in the garage. There hasn't been since I got here a year and a half ago. So now my car won't start. Last week I had no gas and ended up doing so much walking I had to stay off my feet for nearly 2 days.

I thought that as long as the lights worked the car could start. I now know that this is wrong. I know people have told me: tough times don't last but tough people do. But there is a part of me that is just wondering if this is a sign that I need to stop doing this. ie. delivering papers

The thing is, that even if my car works, this paper delivery thing works out to less than minimum wage per hour. Although I do want to be able to give my mother that money so I guess I have to figure this one out. I will see if my brother has jumper cables and ask the neighbours because I just don't have money to pay someone to come over and get my car jump started and I will deliver those newspapers even though they will be late. If I can just get through to next week I will be so happy.

How do you know when to just keep pushing and when to decide that this isn't working and that you need to walk away?
Old 10-21-2011, 12:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Don't just jump start your car, if you do you could end up stranded far from home. There is a reason your car lights dimmed. Find out what it is. It could be an alternator, voltage regulator, battery, fan belt or something more serious.
Old 10-21-2011, 04:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

If you need the money then you should not quit the job. Life is full of these annoying situations to deal with, it's good that your getting some practice at learning how to deal with life's challenges.

Deal with each "problem" as it comes along and look at it as an opportunity to grow. You have alot to be grateful for.....your sober! Congratuations! And, yes....don't just jump the battery, take it in to the service station for repair. Good Luck!
Old 10-21-2011, 04:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Installing a lightbulb in the garage would be a good step.
Old 10-21-2011, 05:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

At this time, jumping the battery is all I can do. I just don't have the money for a full on service.
Old 10-21-2011, 06:22 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

LifeBlows, I am in Toronto too. Send me a pm, maybe I can help.
Old 10-21-2011, 08:15 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I delivered papers once - it takes a lot out of your car .. not just gas $, but all that starting and stopping, wear and tear. My car (only a few years old) died on my route once, actually.

For me, the amount I made just didn't cover the cost of gas and the overall wear and tear on my car, so I found something else. Have you looked around for another job?
Old 10-21-2011, 03:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sorry things are a little challenging right now.

I'd stick with the job, at least until you have something else lined up LB...if nothing else you need money to work towards getting your car looked at

D