Notices

Perscription drugs to stop drinking

Old 10-20-2011, 08:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Perscription drugs to stop drinking

Hi All,

I quit, then I started, then I quit, then I started etc....I'm turning 30 and I decided that quitting will be my birthday present to myself. I am thinking of trying perscription drugs in the beginning to quit the habit. Does anyone have experience with this? Do I need to go to a special doctor or could a regular doctor or clinic perscribe these? Thanks.
Old 10-20-2011, 08:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
In my Own Little World

It depends on what it is. Antabuse has to come from a dr that is licensed for it. Campral can come from your regular dr. There are other prescriptions as well.

Regardless, I would schedule an appointment with your dr and get honest with him as that will set you off on the right foot. I know holding myself accountable with him first helped set me off on the right path. He can also suggest if you need to medically detox too.

Definitely, please get sober while you are still young! (30 is still young!) I had just turned 27 and it was the best thing I have ever done for myself. I hope and pray every day that I continue down this path and never look back and only remember how horrible it was so that I may never return to that ugly place.

Good luck to you.
Old 10-20-2011, 08:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I tried substituting one drug for another for years thinking that I could control it. Every time i ended up quickly abusing whatever I was using and ultimately ended up abusing my drug of choice again.
I wasnt able to get clean until i went to an addiction treatment center and got the around the clock support to help me through the initial stages of sobriety which for me were very difficult.
Old 10-20-2011, 09:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi 4MyMel

I have used Campral and it did seem to help with cravings during the first few weeks post acute withdrawal. I did not experience side effects but some people do.

I would not say its the magic pill , its just a useful drug to be used along with other support.

In my country , my GP prescribed it.

I found what removed cravings more effectively was changing how I ate and what I ate and using supplements within reasonable guidelines and of course a lot of support related activities.

Check with your Dr and do the work at 30...it does not get better , only worse . I can't get those years back but I can look towards the rest of the time I am here to being manageable , enjoyable depending on my work toward sobreity and recovery.
Old 10-20-2011, 11:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks guys. I do really well for a while, then decide that I can have just a little and it starts again. I was thinking if I can take antabuse at least drinking won't be an option, then I can continue on. I can't seem to get past like 20 days I feel like if I get 3 months or 6 months, then my mind will stop playing tricks on me.
Old 10-20-2011, 01:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Argonaut

I often use Antabuse - it works for me, it's a physical barrier because I know I will get very, very sick when drinking with Antabuse.

My problem starts when I am off it, I always manage to stay sober for a couple of weeks/months, only to relapse when I am off Antabuse because I think I am strong enough without it and can socially drink again.

I am on day 6, tomorrow I will get a new batch of Antabuse for at least 2 months. Also I will be going to my second AA meeting next Monday, let's hope this works.
Old 10-20-2011, 01:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Besides stopping the drink, what else are you doing to help you're life get better?

I use AA. If that's not for you there are many other options such at SMART and others. I don't remember them all.
Old 10-20-2011, 02:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

The Antabuse worked for me for a while. But then I figured out how long it really stayed in my system & I was back to hitting the sauce. I also just smoked pot & snorted heroin while on Antabuse so looking back, perhaps, it didn't help much at all.
Old 10-20-2011, 03:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Justfor1 View Post
The Antabuse worked for me for a while. But then I figured out how long it really stayed in my system & I was back to hitting the sauce. I also just smoked pot & snorted heroin while on Antabuse so looking back, perhaps, it didn't help much at all.
I take antabuse, but I too figured out how long it would stay in my system. I would go for a week or so, taking it, then stop taking it, and wait out the 4 or 5 days and drink.
THIS time I have not stopped taking it for for two weeks straight and have been taking it twice a day. So now, if I stopped I would have to wait at least 2 more weeks to drink.
I'll be honest, I had a bad morning with my bf today, felt fed up, and didnt take my pill. It's a game. But I have two weeks to convince myself to start taking it again.
I hate this!! I dont want to drink again, and here I am with these thoughts.
:-(
Old 10-20-2011, 03:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Alaska, yes for some people the proper dose is 2X a day. Some doctors don't even know this and prescribe 1X a day. I could drink straight through the side effects on 1X a day. Some doctors are afraid to prescribe Antabuse & stick with the new alcohol anti-craving medications.
Old 10-20-2011, 03:48 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

thinking of trying perscription drugs in the beginning to quit the habit
Are you referring to prescribed benzos to help get you thru withdrawals? If that's the case then you'd have to ask your doctor for those, just enough to get you thru the first few days when the risks are bad for seizures and such. Ask your doctor about it. They generally only give them for a short time to get you safely thru the w/d.
Old 10-20-2011, 04:56 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back 4MyMel

I used no drugs at all, so I have no experience to share.

I think the best thing to do is to speak to your own Dr - obviously none of us know your clinical history etc like they would - get a treatment plan that's tailored for you

I also agree that while meds can help some, they alone are not the answer IMO - what else are you thinking of doing for support & recovery?

D
Old 10-20-2011, 04:58 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I was going to try antabuse until I read about people dying from it.. Didn't seem worth the risk..
Old 10-20-2011, 05:10 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'm not doing anything at the moment. I have SO much crap going on and I'm so stressed that I feel if I try to quit now, it will just get me to drink MORE! In January, I will turn 30, the things that are stressing me out will be gone. I know this isn't the most correct approach, but I just don't feel that I can quit right now without going nuts. I'm cutting back now and I feel that this is a good start.
Old 10-20-2011, 05:18 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

If there's one thing I know, it's that there's never a good time to quit 4MyMel.

I'd reconsider waiting til January....take it from one who's been there - the longer you put it off, the harder it gets.

D
Old 10-20-2011, 06:47 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I've been drinking for 30 years. Havent found the best time to quit yet.
Other than NOW.

I know..not realistic..its good that your considering
it and are searching for help though. Hope for you nothing but the Best.
Old 10-20-2011, 10:28 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Quitting drinking is like having kids- if you wait until you're ready it will never happen, IMO.

I wasn't ready even after I was demoted, shamed, and hospitalized. In fact, unlike you, I had never considered quitting (kudos to you!).

When I was pulled over by the Sherrif's dept at 11am and blew a .29 bac I was finally ready.

That's just my 2 cents. At least my deferrment program and probation will keep me honest. I only wish it hadn't come to that - but it HAD to come to that if I was going to quit.

Good luck to you.
-SPG
Old 10-21-2011, 03:16 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Any doc can prescribe these drugs. Find one with experience treating addictions and discuss the pros and cons of your situation. Be prepared to do things you probably won't want to. These drugs can be PART of a recovery program, but not the whole shebang.

The cold reality of sobering up is the very real possibility that the next relapse could easily be our last!